First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 SLK55 AMG, '15 Indian Chief, '15 WRX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The problem is you don't know if the 1/4 tank is heavy or light. If it has 1 extra gallon then math gets thrown all off.
Yep, this is my last try to help folks understand that they should not count on this estimate at all, a gallon more in the tank and you are looking at 15.5 MPG, a gallon less and it is 23 MPG. A 50% swing. Forget the gallon, a 1% difference in the tank is just over two 12 ounces beer/soda cans of fuel. If it is off that much, you get between 17.8 MPG and 19.2 MPG. Gauge off? Reading the Gauge wrong? Been idling with the A/C on for 2 hours on that tank? The fuel tank gauge drops faster at the bottom than the top due to the tank getting smaller at the bottom? Truck not sitting level and the tank is reading a gallon or two off?

Too many uncontrolled variables and guesses to have any faith in the 18.5 MPG number. It may be that all the errors cancel each other out and it is accurate, but I would not depend on it if you are trying to decide if fuel costs or range are going to work for you.

A 3.6 Rubicon on 33's gets mid 16's for average MPG per Fuelly.com

The 2.0 Rubicon sits about 2.5 MPG better.

Personally, I believe that the extra weight, the Sasquatch tire size with M/T tread, hybrid and all, are going to cost at least 1-2 MPG on those numbers. (the 2.0 numbers, the turbo engine likely is more efficient and the obviously both Bronco engines are turbocharged)
Sponsored

jaruss01

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XC90 T6 R-Design / 2020 S60 T6 AWD
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
If a 2.7L 4 dr badland on stock 33 A/Ts gets in the low 20s mixed, i will be happy. Thankfully, the 2.7L turbo, unlike a lot of other turbos (especially the european variants), requires regular gas, not premium, which is a game changer. Especially if you are considering the 4 door rig as a family hauler and comparing it to other $60k semi-luxury SUVs that may require premium fuel

GoldenKnight

Wildtrak
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Malibu
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
If a 2.7L 4 dr badland on stock 33 A/Ts gets in the low 20s mixed, i will be happy. Thankfully, the 2.7L turbo, unlike a lot of other turbos (especially the european variants), requires regular gas, not premium, which is a game changer. Especially if you are considering the 4 door rig as a family hauler and comparing it to other $60k semi-luxury SUVs that may require premium fuel
Doesn't require, but all the peak HP and torque numbers are reached on premium. You'll probably see a significant decline in both on regular 87

jswan

Badlands
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Plus you have to push the Eco Boost engines a little every once in awhile at least. To help burn up the deposits on the turbos and the valves

Also if you are new to Eco Boost or a turboed engine. I would highly recommend a catch can system to prolong engine life from the valves caking up and sticking.
Can you explain the catch can further, and why it's a good idea? Yes, I can Google, just want to hear from someone with experience. I've only owned NA vehicles, and they are easy maintenance.
Thanks in advance!

2017 Silver Lobo

Badlands
First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F150, 1988 Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Can you explain the catch can further, and why it's a good idea? Yes, I can Google, just want to hear from someone with experience. I've only owned NA vehicles, and they are easy maintenance.
Thanks in advance!
I have a 3.5l Gen 2 Eco Boost in my 17 F150. Through research I found it beneficial to have a catch can system. It filters out oil blow by in the PCV system which would end up being recirculated back into the engine which cakes up the valves causing them to stick after a period of time. I installed mine after about 10k wish I had when I purchased the truck new. I noticed less of the "Eco Boost shudder" many complain about, which also is helped by premium fuel even though Ford recommends 87. I also don't understand why Ford recommends synthetic blend motor oil and not full synthetic as most other companies recommend for turbo engines. Hope that helps, I may have more insight if anyone else is interested.

Sponsored

2017 Silver Lobo

Badlands
First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F150, 1988 Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
BTW if you guys are really concerned about mpg is a badass off-roader that should out do Jeep (FCA) even be a consideration for you? Also if it's that important jump on a F150 forum and ask the guys running 2.7l what they're getting milage wise you may even find some running 33s or 35s.

Economisto

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Mistubishi Montero, 2013 Audi S5
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yeah this was supposed to be closer to 29ish. Confirms bronco will be closer to 16-18 mpgs city and like 20ish hwy

CFC

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee overland
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

4 Runner numbers then for us ?
Sponsored