Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 SLK55 AMG, '15 Indian Chief, '15 WRX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
2 door tank size = 16.9
96 miles per quarter tank = 384miles / tank
384/16.9 = 22.7

just a speculation, don’t quote me but pretty decent mpg for a badlands if I’m correct
Any thoughts?
My thoughts...

If the gauge is linear and exact and you have exactly 25% of a tank and it will drain every bit of go juice from the tank, then sure, your math is correct.

What if it eyeballed to 27% of a tank? Can you read within 2/100ths of the sweep of that gauge?

At 27% of a tank the math goes like this; 96 / (16.9 x .27), I left the units off, but they end up as MPG.

21.0 MPG

If you have better eyes than I, a distinct possibility, maybe you can get within 1/100 of that gauge with your estimate. Say it is 24% instead of 25%. Math; 96/(16.9 x .24)

23.7 MPG

That (1 MPG difference from your example) is just the basic error from eyeballing from 25% to 24% of a tank. If your eyeball is not perfect, the gauge is not perfect and linear, the calculated miles to empty is not likely to be perfect either, ETC. You will get compounding errors. Big ones.

Point is your math is correct, but the error that will creep in with your assumptions about accuracy and being exactly a quarter tank makes the numbers untrustworthy to say the least.

If anyone is hoping/counting on a 22 MPG average, just remember that the Ranger averages (per Fuely.com) 18.5 and the F-150 2.7 gets 19 MPG on average. The Bronco has lower gearing, similar weight, and bigger tires, also displayes the frontal area of a WW2 destroyer. I personally expect 18 MPG mixed. I do not expect that Ford will magically get 20% higher fuel economy on a Bronco vs. a Ranger.

22 highway only in the real World? Yeah, I could see that if you keep the speed below 70 MPH or so. Maybe everything is perfect and they just got off the interstate after 275 miles of plodding along in the slow lane? Or....that whole error thing. Anybody's guess...

Edit below; I am going to plan on 17 MPG mixed and 22 MPG highway (the older I get, the faster the vehicles I buy become, and the slower I drive) as well as assuming fuel will be in the $4 a gallon range at the halfway point in my ownership, so anything more is a bonus. Just suggesting that when budgeting for your Bronco, you add in reasonable running costs (insurance, fuel, and so forth) so that you don't get in a bind financially down the road, pun definitely intended.

Last edited:

Erasmus

Badlands
First Name
T
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Flex
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
those are probably not even actual numbers. CGI generated , 96 could be days to Job1 or anything they want to represent . this happens a lot in these types of images.

SamG

Black Diamond
First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
sas
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Eh, from what I understand when Ford (or any OEM) give their MPG estimates they do so by pulling data from the most ideal conditions possible.

As little weight as possible in the car, super flat plane, no head winds, 55mph

AMK610

Big Bend
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 RAM 1500 Rebel
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Eh, from what I understand when Ford (or any OEM) give their MPG estimates they do so by pulling data from the most ideal conditions possible.

As little weight as possible in the car, super flat plane, no head winds, 55mph
yeah this is true. my 2019 rebel's window sticker says 21 mpg highway LOL i'm seriously lucky to get 13 mpg highway. the EPA ratings for the Bronco are going to be better than what most of us will get in the real world, been this way for years now

Sponsored

Used2jeep

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Crown Vic P71
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Used2jeep

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Crown Vic P71
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Same... If its not in boost 75% of the time, Then whats the point of a turbo?
Aren't turbos always in boost though? The amount of boost varies of course but they are always producing it?

Bronc-OH

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep XK, Jeep WJ
Your Bronco Model
Base
Aren't turbos always in boost though? The amount of boost varies of course but they are always producing it?
Ford Bronco Update! MPG estimate from gauge image (for 4 Bronco Badlands Overland) 1605538274150

No, Not until you hit boost threshold. The point at which their is enough exhaust spinning the turbo to where the output makes positive manifold pressure(Boost).

Sponsored

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Recently found this picture in a thread; stated that it was from a 2 door badlands, saw the 96 miles in a quarter tank
Made some calculations and achieved: 22.7 MPG

2 door tank size = 16.9
384/16.9 = 22.7

just a speculation, don’t quote me but pretty decent mpg for a badlands if I’m correct
Any thoughts?

Ford Bronco Update! MPG estimate from gauge image (for 4 Bronco Badlands Overland) 1605538274150

photo credits to @ZackDanger
2.3L or 2.7L? Manual 2.3 or AT?

Wildtrak.Scott

Wildtrak
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda6 turbo
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Recently found this picture in a thread; stated that it was from a 2 door badlands, saw the 96 miles in a quarter tank.

Made some calculations and achieved: 22.7 MPG

2 door tank size = 16.9
384/16.9 = 22.7

Any thoughts?

photo credits to @ZackDanger
I owned a 2.7 f150 last year. Got about 18 mpg. My guess is the the Bronco may get 18-19 combined. The estimate from Ford was a lie. I drove very chill and half freeway

Desert_6G

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

There are so many variables that I wouldn't say that's a reasonable estimate. Your guessing tank size. Just because there is a 1/4 tank, you can be off by a gallon. Going by real world comparison against the Ranger is more realistic than a hypothetical.