Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1966 Bronco, 2013 F-150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Incorrect, it's 2 door and 4 door respectively. Engine choice does not affect gas tank size whatsoever.
just looked on the Ford site and you are correct
Sponsored

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Please correct me if I am wrong, but wouldn't the larger engine get better gas mileage then the 2.3 in real driving conditions? My thought behind it is if you take 2 vehicles same size, same trim wouldn't the 2.3 have to work a bit harder then the 2.7 to move the 4500ish pound vehicle. I could see the 4 cylinder getting better mileage on a dyno, but it doesn't make since to me outside of that. This is assuming auto trans as stick has too many extra variables.
Corvettes get excellent highway mileage as the engine is essentially at idle while going 60-70 mph. But I've certainly had tanks with 5-7 mpg out of a ZR1 on track.

Your using immensely general concepts to explain why a bread box pushed through air will achieve efficiency. Under the same concept Sherman tanks should be getting 50 mpg since they made about 700 ft lb torque. Yet they got about 3-5 mpg if memory served. Then you have transmission gearing. RON effects, bla bla bla. The topic is deeper than "Size of engine = mpg"

Last edited:

Toastedtostito

Black Diamond
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Xterra
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

i would disagree. i dont think the 2.3 is any way underpowered for the bronco when used as intended, it has more HP than a lot of V8's used to have from not that long ago. It's efficient all around
I definitely don't think that it is underpowered, but the 2.7 does produce more power, so so side by side and same conditions wouldn't the 2.7 produce slightly better mpg? I'm just curious what the selling point for a smaller engine might be (other than you can pair it to a stick)

AMK610

Big Bend
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 RAM 1500 Rebel
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I definitely don't think that it is underpowered, but the 2.7 does produce more power, so so side by side and same conditions wouldn't the 2.7 produce slightly better mpg? I'm just curious what the selling point for a smaller engine might be (other than you can pair it to a stick)
i still think the 2.3 would get better fuel mileage. Otherwise i think ford would offer the 2.7 in the ranger as a better all around option. There's a reason why they're most likely using the 2.7 in the ranger-raptor, they're not concerned about mpg and focused on the extra power. fuel economy will decrease with that motor in the ranger

Cooppierce

Badlands
First Name
Cooper
Threads
Reaction score
Website
instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Recently found this picture in a thread; stated that it was from a 2 door badlands, saw the 96 miles in a quarter tank.

Made some calculations and achieved: 22.7 MPG

2 door tank size = 16.9
96 miles per quarter tank = 384miles / tank
384/16.9 = 22.7

just a speculation, don’t quote me but pretty decent mpg for a badlands if I’m correct
Any thoughts?

CE9D76D6-BF80-4BB2-A425-C8C469F03F4B.jpeg

photo credits to @ZackDanger
Haha I took this picture and it was on a 4door badlands. “The overland bronco” please credit Utah.Bronco :)

Sponsored

Cooppierce

Badlands
First Name
Cooper
Threads
Reaction score
Website
instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

And that bronco is the 2.3L with a lot of extra weight. And considerings the driving that the overland bronco does it’s like all under 20mph haha

Fireman Dave

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands, 2020 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I am regularly getting 22 MPG on my 2019 F150 SuperCrew 4x4 with the 2.7

TNBronc4344

Badlands
First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Well could be some flaws both ways. Most Ford vehicles i have driven get 3/5 of its miles in the first half of a tank of gas. The second half is like, can I make it to the gas station!! Lol
Exactly. I have 2019 Ranger now. The second it hits the 1/4 tank level I get the low gas alarm and says I have 40 miles to empty. But above half tank it goes sooooo slow. Still get 350-390 gal per tank

ohvrider

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford F-150 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
22.7 is much higher than I expect on 4dr badlands with Sasquatch. If it gets that i'll be really happy. I assume this was with 33's and not Sasquatch? So get a little more tire weight and lower gearing probably 1-2 mpg off, Also this was 2 door so probably another 1mpg?

My Raptor gets 18.1 and my Chevy SS with V8 and manual gets 19.1 so seems bronco will be in that area as well.

Joey.calc

Black Diamond
First Name
Joey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 VW GTI
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Am I the only person who is bothered by the fact that we have not seen a good representation of the instrument cluster on a Base, BB, or BD. All of the ones I have seen are from BL, WT, or OBX which all have the "high-level instrument cluster". It's one of those things where I really love how this looks and how it is almost all digital; but when I get my BB is it going to be a shitty tiny screen with a shittier display? Ford gives no information on their site as to what the instrument cluster will be like.

Sponsored
OP
OP
andi

andi

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
-
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Recently found this picture in a thread; stated that it was from a 2 door badlands, saw the 96 miles in a quarter tank
Made some calculations and achieved: 22.7 MPG

2 door tank size = 16.9
96 miles per quarter tank = 384miles / tank
384/16.9 = 22.7

just a speculation, don’t quote me but pretty decent mpg for a badlands if I’m correct
Any thoughts?

CE9D76D6-BF80-4BB2-A425-C8C469F03F4B.jpeg
22.7 is much higher than I expect on 4dr badlands with Sasquatch. If it gets that i'll be really happy. I assume this was with 33's and not Sasquatch? So get a little more tire weight and lower gearing probably 1-2 mpg off, Also this was 2 door so probably another 1mpg?

My Raptor gets 18.1 and my Chevy SS with V8 and manual gets 19.1 so seems bronco will be in that area as well.
yeas

i saw it was a 2 door, but recently got new information that it is actually a 4 door overland badlands, not confirmed yet, will be updating soon

Frank N

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

This thing has all the aerodynamics of a brick....20MPG highway is my guess....at 65 mph-ish. Start cruising at 80 and those turbos will increase fuel demand.

Nickp

Base
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 WRANGLER THAT GEICO SPENT $14K FIXING
Your Bronco Model
Base
This thing has all the aerodynamics of a brick....20MPG highway is my guess....at 65 mph-ish. Start cruising at 80 and those turbos will increase fuel demand.
That’s what I think will get people. My wrangler gets great mileage at 65 mph, around 20. Driving out to Parker, it’s 75 and traffic goes 85. I did that the whole way and it dropped down to 16

IIRC thinking back to the engineering class I flunked out of, this is an application of the inverse square law. An extra 5 mph requires significantly more force and therefore fuel. Especially at higher speeds and less aerodynamic vehicles.

OP
OP
andi

andi

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
-
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

It has been confirmed that it is for the badlands overland,
So we can conclude that a Bronco Badlands 4 door with 35 inch tires gets 18.5 MPG