Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

UPDATE: etrailer has this one which has an extension to clear spare tire Drawtite brand $123
Ford Bronco UPDATE new Drawtite extended hitch now available.  Aftermarket trailer hitch, Curt CRT-13493, arrived. No drilling required 1631586090738

I'm beginning my "If Ford won't build it I will" Bronco build

I received my after market hitch today, Curt 13493, 350/3500 lb, same design, layout and capacity as Ford Factory hitch. This hitch will be great for those wanting to carry a cargo/bike hauler, add a recovery point or tow a light trailer. It's for those who didn't order the factory set up because you couldn't with your trim, thought $600 was too much or forgot and will be happy with Ford's 3500# tow limit. I will add a 4 pin wiring set up when flip, Curt or etrailer figure it out.

How to get it:

Short version: I ordered from Real Truck (Curt #13493) for $111 last Thursday, shipped from Curt Friday arrived Colorado Monday.

Long Version: Stumbled upon it at etrailer for $245, which is as much as the Ford version. Checked Curt Website for $147, but sold out. Checked Curt's dealer network one at a time finally found Real Truck @$111. (Odd it shipped from Curt even though they showed sold out)

I've always liked Curt's quality and this is the same, good design, good welds, good paint. Side note this one will be easier to install than the Ford one because you don't have to remove the bumper facia, bolts are installed from the front (muffler side).

Ford Bronco UPDATE new Drawtite extended hitch now available.  Aftermarket trailer hitch, Curt CRT-13493, arrived. No drilling required 13493_1024x768_a
Ford Bronco UPDATE new Drawtite extended hitch now available.  Aftermarket trailer hitch, Curt CRT-13493, arrived. No drilling required IMGP5384.JPG
Sponsored

Last edited:

bytheway

Badlands
First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Good find. Just looked up my dealer cost on this and it’s almost half that price. Dirt cheap for a hitch. Still keeping my factory tow package for the 7 way though. Plan to add a brake controller to pull my pop-up.

OP
OP
dgorsett

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Fun Fact: The build date on the hitch UPC was 07/27/21, my Bronco was built on 07/23 and I got no idea where that is.

OP
OP
dgorsett

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Good find. Just looked up my dealer cost on this and it’s almost half that price. Dirt cheap for a hitch. Still keeping my factory tow package for the 7 way though. Plan to add a brake controller to pull my pop-up.
I was waffling on the Tow Package, thought $600 was too much. Now with the wiring complexity I wish I would have gotten it. This will be a start, until wiring is commonly available, and I only want a 4 pin.

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Curt will have the plug and play harness soon. They are already shipping the harness for the Sport.

Sponsored

TripleB

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Base Sas 2.7L, 2023 GMC AT4 HDD
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Any after pictures?

JimiVegas

Base
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Renegade, Nissan Altima
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I received my after market hitch today, Curt 13493, 350/3500 lb, same design, layout and capacity as Ford Factory hitch. This hitch will be great for those wanting to carry a cargo/bike hauler, add a recovery point or tow a light trailer. It's for those who didn't order the factory set up because you couldn't with your trim, thought $600 was too much or forgot and will be happy with Ford's 3500# tow limit. I will add a 4 pin wiring set up when flip, Curt or etrailer figure it out.

How to get it: Short version: I ordered from Real Truck (Curt #13493) for $111 last Thursday, shipped from Curt Friday arrived Colorado Monday.
Long Version: Stumbled upon it at etrailer for $245, which is as much as the Ford version. Checked Curt Website for $147, but sold out. Checked Curt's dealer network one at a time finally found Real Truck @$111. (Odd it shipped from Curt even though they showed sold out)

I've always liked Curt's quality and this is the same, good design, good welds, good paint. Side note this one will be easier to install than the Ford one because you don't have to remove the bumper facia, bolts are installed from the front (muffler side).

13493_1024x768_a.jpg
IMGP5384.JPG
I just went ahead and ordered one even though mine is on dirt mountain. You did all the dirty work and I appreciate you. I wouldn't want to be caught looking for one later. You said they were sold out on the official website. Yah, I have an electric dirt bike and a few mopeds I like to haul around for leisure. I thought the cost of the official ford tow package was a bit much. This will do for now.

Ford Bronco UPDATE new Drawtite extended hitch now available.  Aftermarket trailer hitch, Curt CRT-13493, arrived. No drilling required 7A137D71-4252-4F1F-A47C-7DC5898D5044

Last edited:

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I was waffling on the Tow Package, thought $600 was too much. Now with the wiring complexity I wish I would have gotten it. This will be a start, until wiring is commonly available, and I only want a 4 pin.
It’s possible there will be a plug and play, but not likely. The Ford system is PWM, so you are going to need a converter and power to take the pulses and turn them into 12v signal for the trailer. The wiring isn’t difficult, especially with Flips system (I tested it). The trim removal is much more of a hassle and time killer. Bumper removal isn’t more than an hour either.

OP
OP
dgorsett

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

It’s possible there will be a plug and play, but not likely. The Ford system is PWM, so you are going to need a converter and power to take the pulses and turn them into 12v signal for the trailer. The wiring isn’t difficult, especially with Flips system (I tested it). The trim removal is much more of a hassle and time killer. Bumper removal isn’t more than an hour either.
I do see Curt has a wiring set up that looks the same as Ford's, for $60 at etrailer. I'm still going to wait a bit to see if it gets any simpler. After all my Bronco is stuck on Dirt Mountain, so no hurry.

Wanted33

Outer Banks
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2019 Wrangler, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

@dgorsett If possible let us know how the installation went when you get your Bronco. I dropped the tow package on my order also as I'll only use my hitch for a bike rack, and just couldn't see paying 600 bucks for one to just do that. I did the same on my Wrangler, and picked up a cheap hitch for $60 for the bike rack. I'm hoping the install on the Bronco is as easy as it was for the Jeep. Lift it up, slide the 4 bolts through, and tighten. It wasn't even a one beer job. :)

Sponsored
OP
OP
dgorsett

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

@dgorsett If possible let us know how the installation went when you get your Bronco. I dropped the tow package on my order also as I'll only use my hitch for a bike rack, and just couldn't see paying 600 bucks for one to just do that. I did the same on my Wrangler, and picked up a cheap hitch for $60 for the bike rack. I'm hoping the install on the Bronco is as easy as it was for the Jeep. Lift it up, slide the 4 bolts through, and tighten. It wasn't even a one beer job. :)
I'm thinking this Curt will be the same, but it could be months :( until i see my Bronco.

j_marinelli

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

OP
OP
dgorsett

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Thank you for sharing @dgorsett (not sure how I missed this thead 20 days ago LOL)

I have a curt hitch on my xterra now and love it.

I did pull the installation instruction from Curt and it does look like an easier install then the factory one due to the smaller footprint.

https://assets.curtmfg.com/masterlibrary/13493/installsheet/13493_INS.pdf
HaHa It seems to be the way with my posts they hide pretty fast. This time I thought I had a winner with an actual aftermarket hitch for 1/3 money, but it vanished anyway, must be my charming personality.

EvlNvrDys

Banned
Big Bend
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'84 Bronco, '93 Bronco, '94 Bronco, 2012 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

How to get it: Short version: I ordered from Real Truck (Curt #13493) for $111 last Thursday, shipped from Curt Friday arrived Colorado Monday.

Ford Bronco UPDATE new Drawtite extended hitch now available.  Aftermarket trailer hitch, Curt CRT-13493, arrived. No drilling required 7A137D71-4252-4F1F-A47C-7DC5898D5044
Quick question for ya.. Does it have a slot on the left side for the wiring harness? I found a Curt wiring kit for the Bronco on etrailer, but I'm not looking to have my plug just hanging there.

Similar hitch I installed on wife's JKU years ago had a slot for the wiring harness to slip into. That's why I'm asking. Thanks.

OP
OP
dgorsett

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Quick question for ya.. Does it have a slot on the left side for the wiring harness? I found a Curt wiring kit for the Bronco on etrailer, but I'm not looking to have my plug just hanging there.

Similar hitch I installed on wife's JKU years ago had a slot for the wiring harness to slip into. That's why I'm asking. Thanks.
I had to go out to my stash and look...no it does not have a keeper for the 4 wire. I googled and found this, also from Curt. There's some extra holes in the hitch you could probably use.

Ford Bronco UPDATE new Drawtite extended hitch now available.  Aftermarket trailer hitch, Curt CRT-13493, arrived. No drilling required 1630272524710
Sponsored