First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1974 Bronco, 2015 F250, 2019 Mustang Bullitt
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Recap: December 23rd, while stopped at a stop light (only 2,024 miles on it), the 2.7 died and would simply not restart. The Bronco ended up being towed to local Ford dealer where it discovered that the timing chain broke, the valves had destroyed the pistons and metal shaving contaminated the entire oil system.

December 30th, 7 days later, Ford Motor Co. finally authorized a rental to “temporarily” replace the Bronco. I know some say that I must be patient, after all it was Christmas on the 25th. To that I reply I know, since the Bronco was my only vehicle (I traded my truck in to get it and sold my 06 Jeep TJ) I was stranded without an automobile during the Christmas Holiday.

January 6, 2022, Ford Motor Company has not yet authorized a replacement motor (according to my local Ford Dealership’s Service Dept.). It has now been 14 days since the new Bronco lost it’s engine. I was not expecting the Bronco to be fixed by now, but I was expecting that Ford would have at least authorized an engine replacement and maybe even be in the process of shipping said replacement to the dealership. That evening, I started via the internet, to look up e-mail addresses and phone numbers to every Executive I could find within Ford Motor and I started my, “Complain Campaign”.

January 10, 2022, I went to my local Ford Dealer’s Service Department where my Bronco was towed to. (Greenwood Ford, Hollister, CA) At various times, not all at once, I spoke with several Service Writers, one Service Tech and the Service Manager. The bottom line was the dealership employees are frustrated with Ford Motor Co. They are not getting the parts, information, or answers from Ford Motor that they need to take care of my Bronco’s needs.

One on one, an individual said in confidence to me that Ford Motor is aware that there is an issue with the 2.7 engines and Engineers are most likely developing a fix to the production of new motors. That person also said they doubted Ford would send a current crate motor that could potentially have the same issue. When I inquired/pushed as to when Ford could potentially have a design fix and expect a new motor to be shipped, he said that is up to Michigan, and his best guess was four to six months.

Feeling disheartened, I left the Service Department and was walking back to the rental vehicle when I received a call from Michigan. (My Complain Campaign got someone’s attention!) Ms. Jones who works for the Ford Motor Co. Executive Offices told me that my e-mail I sent to the Board of Directors complaining about the lack of support regarding my 2021 Ford Bronco was forwarded to her and she will be looking into my case. Ms. Jones said that since she just received my information, she would follow up with me the next day (Tuesday, January 11, 2022). She also said that the number she was calling me from was her direct line and if I had any questions or concerns, to please call her. (I felt hopeful!)

January 11, 2022, near the end of the business day (5pm Michigan time), no call as of yet from Ms. Jones. I did call Ms. Jones at 3pm Michigan time and left a request for a call back, which never happened. Perhaps Ms. Jones is still looking into the situation. Perhaps she found out the same as I was told at the Dealership, four to six months.

Rant:
Please correct me if the following numbers are wrong, they are what I was looking at today waiting for a call that never came: Food for thought for reservation holders and those thinking of placing a reservation. From what I can tell, Ford has shipped roughly 30k Broncos for delivery thus far. Not all of those 30k units are 2.7 engines, some are the 2.3. I’m guessing most opted for the 2.7 so let’s say 25k units of the 2.7 broncos have shipped. I know Bronco6G has a great following within the Bronco community, but not all Bronco owners probably belong to it. Bronco6G has a current list of 23 known 2.7 Bronco engines that have failed. I would guess the actual number of failed 2.7 Broncos to total above 30 units. If my numbers are somewhat in the ballpark, you have a far better chance of your 2.7 Bronco having a catastrophic failure vs wining the lotto. Good luck!
Sponsored

MnLakeBum

Outer Banks
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘18 Range Rover Diesel
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Rant:
Please correct me if the following numbers are wrong, they are what I was looking at today waiting for a call that never came: Food for thought for reservation holders and those thinking of placing a reservation. From what I can tell, Ford has shipped roughly 30k Broncos for delivery thus far. Not all of those 30k units are 2.7 engines, some are the 2.3. I’m guessing most opted for the 2.7 so let’s say 25k units of the 2.7 broncos have shipped. I know Bronco6G has a great following within the Bronco community, but not all Bronco owners probably belong to it. Bronco6G has a current list of 23 known 2.7 Bronco engines that have failed. I would guess the actual number of failed 2.7 Broncos to total above 30 units. If my numbers are somewhat in the ballpark, you have a far better chance of your 2.7 Bronco having a catastrophic failure vs wining the lotto. Good luck!
I would guess the majority of Bronco owners are not on Bronco6G. None of us know for sure but I'd guess if we have 23 known here that have failed the number is many multiples higher than that, more like 5x or 10x that number. If it's 5x that would mean that so far something like 1 out of 200 owners with the 2.7 have had this issue and likely many more will as they get more miles on them. Obviously a defect that is approaching a 1% engine replacement rate is not the headache Ford or any of the patient Bronco owners need. I hope they can get you a new engine within a couple of months. Anything more than that seems incredibly unreasonable.

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ford has shipped roughly 30k Broncos for delivery thus far. Not all of those 30k units are 2.7 engines, some are the 2.3. I’m guessing most opted for the 2.7 so let’s say 25k units of the 2.7 broncos have shipped.
I think we're all over estimating this number. I'm guessing more normies got the 2.3 and well as most dealer stock builds (all those BB 2.3 soft tops). It wouldn't surprise me if it was closer to 50/50 or 40/60.

Sponsored

Elevator Man

Badlands
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mercedes GLE, 2021 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

In California, a car is considered a lemon if " the automobile has been out of service under repair for a total of 30 or more days during the vehicle’s first 18,000 miles or the first 18 months of ownership (whichever comes first) "

I believe this means that in a little over 10 days from now, the vehicle can be declared a lemon and you can force Ford to buy it back. *note, I'm not an attorney, don't sue me.

https://thelemonlawcalifornia.com/lemon-law-2/number-of-repairs-before-a-new-car-is-a-lemon/

BudgetBronco

Base
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2003 Jeep WJ Grand Cherokee Overland
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Huge bummer, though I appreciate the update.

Such an odd situation considering the 2.7L has been in the F-150 for YEARS and the F-150 is the best-selling vehicle they manufacture. You'd think this issues would have been solved long ago.
In one of the 'blown engine' threads somebody speculated it is isolated to a bad batch of valves from a vendor, not the engine itself. That might explain what you point out.

dbeyers

Base
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Highlander
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Recap: December 23rd, while stopped at a stop light (only 2,024 miles on it), the 2.7 died and would simply not restart. The Bronco ended up being towed to local Ford dealer where it discovered that the timing chain broke, the valves had destroyed the pistons and metal shaving contaminated the entire oil system.

December 30th, 7 days later, Ford Motor Co. finally authorized a rental to “temporarily” replace the Bronco. I know some say that I must be patient, after all it was Christmas on the 25th. To that I reply I know, since the Bronco was my only vehicle (I traded my truck in to get it and sold my 06 Jeep TJ) I was stranded without an automobile during the Christmas Holiday.

January 6, 2022, Ford Motor Company has not yet authorized a replacement motor (according to my local Ford Dealership’s Service Dept.). It has now been 14 days since the new Bronco lost it’s engine. I was not expecting the Bronco to be fixed by now, but I was expecting that Ford would have at least authorized an engine replacement and maybe even be in the process of shipping said replacement to the dealership. That evening, I started via the internet, to look up e-mail addresses and phone numbers to every Executive I could find within Ford Motor and I started my, “Complain Campaign”.

January 10, 2022, I went to my local Ford Dealer’s Service Department where my Bronco was towed to. (Greenwood Ford, Hollister, CA) At various times, not all at once, I spoke with several Service Writers, one Service Tech and the Service Manager. The bottom line was the dealership employees are frustrated with Ford Motor Co. They are not getting the parts, information, or answers from Ford Motor that they need to take care of my Bronco’s needs.

One on one, an individual said in confidence to me that Ford Motor is aware that there is an issue with the 2.7 engines and Engineers are most likely developing a fix to the production of new motors. That person also said they doubted Ford would send a current crate motor that could potentially have the same issue. When I inquired/pushed as to when Ford could potentially have a design fix and expect a new motor to be shipped, he said that is up to Michigan, and his best guess was four to six months.

Feeling disheartened, I left the Service Department and was walking back to the rental vehicle when I received a call from Michigan. (My Complain Campaign got someone’s attention!) Ms. Jones who works for the Ford Motor Co. Executive Offices told me that my e-mail I sent to the Board of Directors complaining about the lack of support regarding my 2021 Ford Bronco was forwarded to her and she will be looking into my case. Ms. Jones said that since she just received my information, she would follow up with me the next day (Tuesday, January 11, 2022). She also said that the number she was calling me from was her direct line and if I had any questions or concerns, to please call her. (I felt hopeful!)

January 11, 2022, near the end of the business day (5pm Michigan time), no call as of yet from Ms. Jones. I did call Ms. Jones at 3pm Michigan time and left a request for a call back, which never happened. Perhaps Ms. Jones is still looking into the situation. Perhaps she found out the same as I was told at the Dealership, four to six months.

Rant:
About 54,000 produced through Dec.

bodean

Base
First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
76 Mini, 99 4Runner, 07 FJ Cruiser, 16 Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I’m also willing to bet when a non member ends up with a blown 2.7 the first thing they do is google “Bronco blown 2.7” which leads them here where most are likely to join and comment.

Baddie64

Badlands
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Jeep Liberty, 2013 Ford Fusion Titanium
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Please keep us updated when/if Ms Jones ever gets back to you.

Sponsored

Herbie

Badlands
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

About 54,000 produced through Dec.
Yes but only about 30,000 of those sold and shipped to customers so far. Keep in mind 6000+ of those 54000 are mannequins. Offrodeo builds, testing vehicles, and the list goes on.

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I am definitely sorry for everyone that has had a problem. I am very surprised, as I have had several 2.7s and I can say that I have loved them for power and economy. I have no clue the number of bad motors, but I can tell you that the forums like this will always be biased to the extreme, it’s just human nature and the nature of the forums. That doesn’t make it any easier for those that are without their vehicle and loosing confidence in their Bronco. I have 9k miles on mine (very early production and 7.5.21 delivery) and have had no problems. I consider myself fortunate and hope everyone gets their issues resolved to their satisfaction. I am not any F150 forums, but I assume the same issue is coming up? The 2.7 definitely dominates the F150 sales, so that would be another data point to look at. Good luck to those with the issue and I will check in occasionally to see what has been discovered and or resolved.

navi

Base
First Name
Navi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
73 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
I am definitely sorry for everyone that has had a problem. I am very surprised, as I have had several 2.7s and I can say that I have loved them for power and economy. I have no clue the number of bad motors, but I can tell you that the forums like this will always be biased to the extreme, it’s just human nature and the nature of the forums. That doesn’t make it any easier for those that are without their vehicle and loosing confidence in their Bronco. I have 9k miles on mine (very early production and 7.5.21 delivery) and have had no problems. I consider myself fortunate and hope everyone gets their issues resolved to their satisfaction. I am not any F150 forums, but I assume the same issue is coming up? The 2.7 definitely dominates the F150 sales, so that would be another data point to look at. Good luck to those with the issue and I will check in occasionally to see what has been discovered and or resolved.
I thought the same and checked the f150forum. There's nothing posted about last year's engines failing.

aFordOwner

Raptor
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach-E, 2022 Bronco Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Rant:
Make that 24

Snappy22

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Honda Pilot, 2022 Bronco BD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

You said that in the first post “the timing chain broke”. Everything else is searching for a conspiracy theory, and the service techs are going to say 6 months for replacement to get you off their case since Ford doesn’t have many spare 2.7 engines to offer.
Give Ms Jones a week like she asked for to show you respect her claimed escalated attention you’re getting. Calling one day later makes it clear you’re only a complainer and shell be less likely to give you her full effort.
Sponsored