First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 BMW X5
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
My 2023 2-door Outer Banks has been plagued with a minor tailgate rattle, but I'm OCD about any sort of squeak or rattle, so even relatively minor ones drive me nuts.

Originally I followed the "gnarly tailgate rattle" thread. Sprayed everything in the tailgate, through every hole and slit. Didn't really help. Popped off the black plastic grill piece on the left side of the tailgate, right inside the door...and noticed that big plastic block in there. Sprayed it with lube, stuffed some poly stuffing in there. Thought I had it licked, but it eventually came back in a few weeks.

This weekend, I attacked it again. This time with Dynaliner. Sort of like Dynamat, but it comes in a larger roll and it much easier to work with - less dense, less sticky backing. I was able to slide a piece between the tailgate and that white plastic block inside the tailgate, thinking that might do it. Took out the polyfill stuffing I had put in there, and used some denser "soundproofing foam" this time. Put the plastic grill piece back in, shut the door...and noticed the faint rattle. Damn! But, this time I had a clue! It sounded like it was coming from the actual door latch!

So, I took some Dupont Krytox (the generic version I bought off Ebay) - smeared some inside the latch mechanism from the outside of the truck, and then on the inside I smeared a bunch on the latch mechanisms and any/all the plastic pieces associated with the latch.

This time I think it's job done! Hopefully the rattle will stay gone. Here's a few pics.

tailgatefix.jpg

tailgatefix2.jpg

tailgatefix3.jpg
Sponsored

A907Chick

Wildtrak
First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Ford Bronco Wildtrax Area 51
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Thanks! I think mine might be coming from the latch too. I will try this fix out.