Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

This is at least #3 if not more that's been reported here in the last few months of spot weld breaking. Making me think I may want to add my own spot welds on the tubes when I install my new axles.
Sponsored

Felix808

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
After 746 days, a MY22 4-door Badlands Bronco :-)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yes and I’ve done this trail dozens of times in my 4Runner and never broke a sweat much less an axle
I agree, nothing there should have caused that . Again I believe its Dana quality control issues.

Such a fun scenic trail 🤠

Joez60421

Black Diamond
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fleet of Toyota 4runners and Land Cruisers
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
No I don’t even know why anyone would find that feature useful. I’m not doing switchbacks on black bear pass

It's a gimmick, and im glad I don't have it on my manual trans badlands. Toyota has had it in the Land Cruiser for a long time and I don't know anyone who actually uses it. Even on trails like black bear, we had no issues with two 2nd gen tundras, a 2nd gen sequoia, or a 200 series land cruiser last time there.

HBTFD

Black Diamond
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

It seems the rear axles have suspect welds or are not robust enough for off roading. I’d look into having the weld inspected if it’s not to costly. Ford has had plenty of bad welds in their 100+ year history.

OP
OP
kgolive

kgolive

Badlands
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco 4 Dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
This is at least #3 if not more that's been reported here in the last few months of spot weld breaking. Making me think I may want to add my own spot welds on the tubes when I install my new axles.
I think the other guy had a great point earlier that it might have more to do with when the truck is articulating one wheel higher than the other in the rear
I agree, nothing there should have caused that . Again I believe its Dana quality control issues.

Well I’m at their mercy but if I’m paying out of pocket I’m open to solutions so this doesn’t happen again. I don’t want to replace it with the same thing and be right back at square one the next time

if warranty doesn’t cover replacement (which I’m sure it won’t) even though Ford markets the shit out of the Bronco being an off road beast, I’m open to upgrade suggestions. I would like to get more than another 1200 miles out of it before it breaks again. Although that might be wishful thinking.

Sponsored

Farmerjim47933

Black Diamond
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Ram2500
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I agree 37's are not the problem . . Plug weld should never shear. They are not doing something correct ,not enough heat ,dirty oily metal ,wrong wire ,ect .But I still say it'a binding in suspension geometry.

picture # 2 is what I think is a good situation of suspension binding,but they should have thought on how to handle it

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It's just fantastic that even a reputable big name company like Dana can't supply quality components, Ford gets the black eye for it, and people get to talk smack to us about our rides.

Does anyone that keeps tabs on Jeep circles know of an uptick in broken plug welds? It's the same rear end more or less.

Felix808

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Good luck getting it sorted. If I'm paying out of pocket for something like this, I'm looking at another option. Makes me think skipping the extended warranty was the right move 🤠

Sponsored
OP
OP
kgolive

kgolive

Badlands
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco 4 Dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Good luck getting it sorted. If I'm paying out of pocket for something like this, I'm looking at another option 🤠
What are some available replacement options? When I do a search online all I see is genuine ford rear housings available which is like a smack in the face.

Felix808

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

What are some available replacement options? When I do a search online all I see is genuine ford rear housings available which is like a smack in the face.
You're near Currie Enterprises They make a nice 9" & other custom axles. I've gone that route before. Also you can go back to Dana for their semi float 60.

OP
OP
kgolive

kgolive

Badlands
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco 4 Dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
You're near Currie Enterprises They make a nice 9" & other custom axles. I've gone that route before. Also you can go back to Dana for their semi float 60.
Option 2 - replace it and post it on bring a trailer.

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs