Sponsored

Update - Tops - Upgrading to a MOD top. Let's be clear on pricing and resale when swapping

jaruss01

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XC90 T6 R-Design / 2020 S60 T6 AWD
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Update - see takeaways at end of post for some real sticker shock

FYI - this is in regards to the 4 dr -

I see a lot of posts about people discussing top exchanges...upgrading to a MOD top....or getting a soft top and buying a MIC afterwards from someone upgrading from a MIC to a MOD. There's also a lot of confusion about the potential price of the mod top. So just spelling it out here in a dedicated thread. These have been floated around in other threads, but what hasnt been said is the RESALE value.

Cost of soft top - $1,200
Additional cost from Ford to get a MIC instead of a soft top - $695
Value of MIC top = $1,895

Wildtrak has a $1,895 price deduction to get a MIC top instead of a MOD top
Value of MOD top is $3,790 ($1,895 over $695 over $1,200)

Now let's talk RESALE...

If someone opts for the soft top, because they dont want to spend $695 on a MIC top, and hopes to strike a deal from someone else looking to sell their MIC, guess what? There's a huge disconnect, because the Buyer is looking to strike a deal under $695, and the Seller is looking to unload a $1,895 MIC top. Sure, the Buyer's thinking isnt totally rational, since this will be a second top over their soft top, but I just dont see there being a ton of value here when selling.

So for those upgrading in the future to a MOD, and unloading the MIC, I wouldn't count on a lot of money being recouped from the MIC top. And if the Buyer isnt local, and you need to ship, that could cost $200+ to ship. You may find yourself just tossing the MIC top in storage as a back-up given the loss you would be taking on it.

...and to add to all this, dont forget sound deadening is $495. So an upgrade to a MOD top could be $3,790 + $495 (and if ford wants to be cute and charge say $300 freight), you're looking at a number closing in on $5,000 after tax, with only <$500 recouped from your MIC top.

So the upgrade from a MIC to a MOD will cost people a lot more than they may initially be thinking.

I've thought about this for quite some time, and it really has me locked in to get a trim/color that goes well with the MIC top, instead of waiting for a MOD top. I have a Day 1 reservation. The above really throws off the math on my two options:
Option 1. OBX with AMB, MIC top (to get through winter), then sell MIC for a black MOD top in 2022
Option 2. BL with A51, MIC top...and stick with the MIC top

When I tack on over $4k to build #1 (to buy/sell MIC and get a MOD with sound deadening) it seem like a no brainer to go with build #2, which, frankly will be a couple thousand less at the end of the day to get more content, without waiting, or dealing with the agita that comes with selling and buying.

A breakdown of costs

Cost of MIC from Ford - 695
Resale - 300
Cost spent on MIC - 395

Cost of MOD from the parts department - 3790
Sound deadening - 495
Freight?? -300
Tax - 350
Total out of pocket - 4935

Net cost after buying/selling = 5,330!!

Cost for MY22 MOD top from Ford - 1895 plus 495 plus tax = 2,560

Cost for MIC and sound deadening from Ford...and keeping the MIC - 695 plus 495 plus tax =1,280

TAKE AWAYS
-To buy a MIC, sell, and later get a MOD - 5,330 total costs. Which effectively means you’re overpaying 2,770 for not waiting 6 months to get a MOD top from Ford on a MY22 for 2,560

-Choosing a trim/color that goes well with a MIC saves you 4,150!! Versus getting a MIC and trading up for a MOD

**footnote
- the one thing that could be inflating these numbers is if Ford is giving a "free" MIC top on the WIldtrak/FE as a consolation given they cant delivery on the MOD top. Meaning the MOD top is $1,895 + $1,200 ($3,095) not $1,895 + $695 + $1,200 ($3,790). The former figure to me "feels" more accurate, as its a $1,200 premium over the MIC top to have a painted top with removable rear windows. But then again, I would be surprised that Ford would just "give away" MIC tops on the Wildtrak and FE orders.
Sponsored

Last edited:

jayhawkco

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Nissan Xterra Off Road
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Good post. Question though, where are you coming up with your $1,200 figure for the soft top? Since it's standard on the 4-door, and not available on the 2-door, it's not listed with a price anywhere.

Chris

OP
OP
jaruss01

jaruss01

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Good post. Question though, where are you coming up with your $1,200 figure for the soft top? Since it's standard on the 4-door, and not available on the 2-door, it's not listed with a price anywhere.

Chris
I'd have to track down the source of the $1,200 figure. There are a handful of people that have flagged the true costs of MIC and MOD tops at $1,895 and $3,790, but it's buried in other threads that are 20 pages. I thought i would highlight it here, and also explain the crazy disconnect in recouping money when going to sell the MIC.

Petey

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
This will be a huge 4 door discussion. There isn't much discussion on 2-door folks though as you have a MIC top and everyone else has a 2-door MIC top, so when you want to upgrade to a black top, your MIC top will pretty much be worthless.

EDIT: Ford should provide a MIC top trade in program

Drafting_Monkey

Black Diamond
First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 GT/CS, 20 Honda Insight EX & 19 Mazda CX9
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
This will be a huge 4 door discussion. There isn't much discussion on 2-door folks though as you have a MIC top and everyone else has a 2-door MIC top, so when you want to upgrade to a black top, your MIC top will pretty much be worthless.
I was thinking this exact same thing. If you wanted to upgrade your top from MIC, who would buy it? Nobody.

Sponsored

DrewBronc21

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Subaru STi, 2018 Camry Hybrid
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I can’t imagine spending $4k on a hard top.

The mic tops will sell for what people will pay for them. Since it’s a $695 upgrade, it will be based off that number, even though it would cost a lot more from Ford after the fact. Sellers are going to be quick to get rid of them to get their spiffy new MOD top and clean out room in the garage. I would guess $500 is a good deal for the MIC.

OP
OP
jaruss01

jaruss01

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I was thinking this exact same thing. If you wanted to upgrade your top from MIC, who would buy it? Nobody.
That's a good point. At least there's a market for the 4 door MIC top (from those that opted for soft tops and want a dual top) but it will be still be fire sale...

Even worse is the 2 dr MIC top, since there pretty much wont be a market for it at all. You'd have to sell it to an auto body shop over a year later for a hundred bucks for when enough cars get into accidents.

BuckinT29

First Edition
First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Alfa 4C Spyder, Ducati V2, BMW X1
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I sold my JL wrangler hardtop at a premium when I swapped for a best top soft top.

I don’t see MIC being a high demand replacement, I’d wait it out for the modular.

OP
OP
jaruss01

jaruss01

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I can’t imagine spending $4k on a hard top.

The mic tops will sell for what people will pay for them. Since it’s a $695 upgrade, it will be based off that number, even though it would cost a lot more from Ford after the fact. Sellers are going to be quick to get rid of them to get their spiffy new MOD top and clean out room in the garage. I would guess $500 is a good deal for the MIC.
Exactly my point. They will sell a $1,895 MIC top for ~$500 or less (given the upgrade cost that the Buyer balked on was $695). So Seller is taking a big loss, then dropping $4k plus on a mod top.

Last edited:

Gamecock

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands / Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I am going soft top because I am confident I'll be able to grab a MIC dirt cheap in a couple of years...$500 or less is what I would guess as the market will be flooded with used MIC, no matter what the value when new.

Sponsored

Raptor911

Raptor
First Name
Raptor911
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 F150 Raptor, 2022 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
good post. So many post about peeps placing their order soon and getting the MIC top and then planning to order the MOD top later. The cost of the MOD after the fact is going to be outrageous and you are not selling your MIC unless you have a local buyer. Shipping a MIC top will require a wood pallet and will be in the $350 range and it has to go via truck freight.

You can't afford the LUX package but you plan to spend $3500+ on the MOD top after the fact?

If you know you want the MOD top then order a 2022.

DC9atnight

Black Diamond
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I see a lot of posts about people discussing top exchanges, and buying a MIC afterwards from someone upgrading from a MIC to a MOD. There's also a lot of confusion about the potential price of the mod top. So just spelling it out here in a dedicated thread. These have been floated around in other threads, but what hasnt been said is the RESALE value.

Cost of soft top - $1,200
Additional cost from Ford to get a MIC instead of a soft top - $695
Value of MIC top = $1,895

Wildtrak has a $1,895 price deduction to get a MIC top instead of a MOD top
Value of MOD top is $3,790 ($1,895 over $695 over $1,200)

Now let's talk RESALE...

If someone opts for the soft top, because they dont want to spend $695 on a MIC top, and hopes to strike a deal from someone else looking to sell their MIC, guess what? There's a huge disconnect, because the Buyer is looking to strike a deal under $695, and the Seller is looking to unload a $1,895 MIC top. Sure, the Buyer's thinking isnt totally rationale, since this will be a second top over their soft top, but I just dont see there being a ton of value here when selling.

So for those upgrading in the future to a MOD, and unloading the MIC, I wouldn't count on a lot of money being recouped from the MIC top. And if the Buyer isnt local, and you need to ship, that could cost $200+ to ship. You may find yourself just tossing the MIC top in storage as a back-up given the loss you would be taking on it.

...and to add to all this, dont forget sound deadening is $495. So an upgrade to a MOD top could be $3,790 + $495 (and if ford wants to be cute and charge say $300 freight), you're looking at a number closing in on $5,000 after tax, with only <$500 recouped from your MIC top.

So the upgrade from a MIC to a MOD will cost people a lot more than they may initially be thinking.

I've thought about this for quite some time, and it really has me locked in to get a trim/color that goes well with the MIC top, instead of waiting for a MOD top. I have a Day 1 reservation. The above really throws off the math on my two options:
Option 1. OBX with AMB, MIC top (to get through winter), then sell MIC for a black MOD top in 2022
Option 2. BL with A51, MIC top...and stick with the MIC top

When I tack on $4,500 to build #1 (given the potential costs cited above) it makes option 2 seem like a no brainer, and frankly a couple thousand less at the end of the day to get more content, without waiting, or dealing with the agita that comes with selling and buying tops.
Agree. Good post.

To add to the conundrum, if one is looking for a white top, the decision gets more difficult.
If MOD top is the only one available in white in 22 then you might be better off waiting for a MY22 Bronco rather than buying the MY21 with MIC and swapping it out in 22. One, as the OP says, the MIC will be practically worthless to resell, and two, the Parts Dept will likely be marking up that MOD white top when being bought separately.

Now for the last wrinkle, when does the MIC white top come out? If this is a couple years out then I can see accepting the MY21 MIC grey top and swap out later for the MIC white because who wants to wait multiple years for their Bronco.

All first world problems but things to sort out before ordering:).

Ksjrb03

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Great post, agree with everything you said. I’m still deciding between FE and Wildtrak, but I want a soft top option for them so I can buy modular when it’s available. I don’t want to deal with storing or melting down the MIC top, and I think there will be no market to sell it. I know the modular top will be crazy expensive, but I don’t want that MIC top at all.

NVCowboy

Big Bend
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 F350. 2022 Big Bend (Sasquatch)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
it seem like a no brainer, and frankly a couple thousand less at the end of the day to get more content, without waiting, or dealing with the agita that comes with selling and buying tops.
Agita - creative screwing around with the plural forms of words like this makes me smile. Well played.

As far as shipping goes, I anticipate most of this horse trading will occur at assorted Broncos and Coffee events. I'm aware the culture likes to call them "meet ups" since so many Mustangs were wrecked leaving "cars and Coffee, but I too like to mess with language. I'm also looking forward to seeing the vig charged by the one guy with a Bronco Bolt wrench when an impromptu grab handle trade goes down between guys who forgot theirs.

StaticAnalysis

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Eddy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
R8
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I will sell off my MIC top to get a painted hardtop for $300 plus shipping when the time comes.

I don’t see it being worth much more than that used and for any less I’ll probably just throw it away. Good luck with your sales.
Sponsored