Sponsored

Update - Tops - Upgrading to a MOD top. Let's be clear on pricing and resale when swapping

BennyBronco69

Badlands
First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BWM M4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
FYI - this is in regards to the 4 dr -

I see a lot of posts about people discussing top exchanges, and buying a MIC afterwards from someone upgrading from a MIC to a MOD. There's also a lot of confusion about the potential price of the mod top. So just spelling it out here in a dedicated thread. These have been floated around in other threads, but what hasnt been said is the RESALE value.

Cost of soft top - $1,200
Additional cost from Ford to get a MIC instead of a soft top - $695
Value of MIC top = $1,895

Wildtrak has a $1,895 price deduction to get a MIC top instead of a MOD top
Value of MOD top is $3,790 ($1,895 over $695 over $1,200)

Now let's talk RESALE...

If someone opts for the soft top, because they dont want to spend $695 on a MIC top, and hopes to strike a deal from someone else looking to sell their MIC, guess what? There's a huge disconnect, because the Buyer is looking to strike a deal under $695, and the Seller is looking to unload a $1,895 MIC top. Sure, the Buyer's thinking isnt totally rationale, since this will be a second top over their soft top, but I just dont see there being a ton of value here when selling.

So for those upgrading in the future to a MOD, and unloading the MIC, I wouldn't count on a lot of money being recouped from the MIC top. And if the Buyer isnt local, and you need to ship, that could cost $200+ to ship. You may find yourself just tossing the MIC top in storage as a back-up given the loss you would be taking on it.

...and to add to all this, dont forget sound deadening is $495. So an upgrade to a MOD top could be $3,790 + $495 (and if ford wants to be cute and charge say $300 freight), you're looking at a number closing in on $5,000 after tax, with only <$500 recouped from your MIC top.

So the upgrade from a MIC to a MOD will cost people a lot more than they may initially be thinking.

I've thought about this for quite some time, and it really has me locked in to get a trim/color that goes well with the MIC top, instead of waiting for a MOD top. I have a Day 1 reservation. The above really throws off the math on my two options:
Option 1. OBX with AMB, MIC top (to get through winter), then sell MIC for a black MOD top in 2022
Option 2. BL with A51, MIC top...and stick with the MIC top

When I tack on $4,500 to build #1 (to buy/sell MIC and get a MOD with sound deadening) vs tacking on $1,190 on option 2 ($695 MIC plus $495 sound deadening), it seem like a no brainer, and frankly a couple thousand less at the end of the day to get more content, without waiting, or dealing with the agita that comes with selling and buying tops.
This is why I'm glad my favorite color is carbonized gray. I think that plus me getting a BL will make the mic option look good.
Sponsored

Drex

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 SLK55 AMG, '15 Indian Chief, '15 WRX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I would be interested in a used second set of front seat panels just in case of theft or damage so that I would not be scrambling to find a replacement because I lost the ability to seal up the vehicle.

Sadly, there will be a market for them and for the wheel flares (quick release on a wear/easily damaged item will result in thieves targeting them for resale).

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 4dr Badsquatch, ‘05 LJ & ‘17 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I would be interested in a used second set of front seat panels just in case of theft or damage so that I would not be scrambling to find a replacement because I lost the ability to seal up the vehicle.

Sadly, there will be a market for them and for the wheel flares (quick release on a wear/easily damaged item will result in thieves targeting them for resale).
Welcome to the jeep world!

Back in 2013, I had my stock bumpers, stock steps, seat covers & soft top windows stolen off my jeep in a gated community while parked under a carport. All items that could be sold off quickly and commonly used.

perfectburrito

Badlands
First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Badlands Sasquatch, 2.7AT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The soft top is standard equipment, costs nothing to have on your order. I believe that 1200 number popped up as the price to buy a soft top 3rd party.

I don't disagree with the analysis here otherwise, color matched tops on MY21 are going to be an expensive add-on. The demand signals we're leaving for Ford on this forum with all these posts about it aren't going to help drive prices down either.

That being said, I'm still considering adding the color-matched top afterwards anyway. I figure after a year or two of running around with the soft top, adding a black, sound-deadened hard top will be a great refresh on my rig, making me fall in love with it all over again. And I can't order that kind of top on a BL-SAS anyway...

Last edited:
OP
OP
jaruss01

jaruss01

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XC90 T6 R-Design / 2020 S60 T6 AWD
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
The soft top is standard equipment, costs nothing to have on your order. I believe that 1200 number popped up as the price to buy a soft top 3rd party.

I don't disagree with the analysis here otherwise, color matched tops on MY21 are going to be an expensive add-on. The demand signals we're leaving for Ford on this forum with all these posts about it aren't going to help, but I think sticker shock should bring prices down to earth in the future. There aren't going to be many takers for a 5k add-on. 3-3.5k is more in line with the aftermarket.
OP here -

I agree with the above. With the exception that the $1,200 number "feels" right if you were to buy a soft top from the parts department. And $695 "feels" like the wrong number if you were to buy a MIC from a parts department...it certainly makes sense that the two numbers should be added, and a MIC top from the parts department should be more inline with the $1,895 figure.

.....and while all of my number crunching is based on snippets of data that have been disclosed to us, that's not to say it's final. It's just the best that we could come up with now. At the end of the day, Ford will set the prices based on what the market is willing to pay. Does that mean that the all-in cost post tax, delivery, sound deadening is in fact $5k for a MOD top from the parts department?? Maybe not. There may not be a lot of takers at that level. But who knows....

I guess the point of the post is that the whole future upgrade to a MOD top, and limited demand on the secondhand market to sell your MIC top, is certainly going to cost a lot more $$ than many are assuming. I think there are a lot of guys thinking they will only take a $1,000-$1,500 hit from this when everything is said and done, but it's certainly going to be much more than that.

Given we probably wont know what the real cost of a standalone MOD top will be when we go to finalize our orders, then I urge people to be prepared to pay upwards of what the math is telling us now. This is really important for guys that may be pigeon holing themselves by ordering a specific body color (cough - AMB) that would go very well with a MOD top, and horrible with a MIC top, and then they are in a position to shell out $2k more than what there were initially thinking the MOD top would cost them.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Megawatt

First Name
JO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lifted Rubicon usually off-road.
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
And don’t forget the top takes up more room than you think When it is not on the vehicle. For those of you that will take off the mic top and sell it later Storage will be an issue. Even if you have a empty car spot in your garage the top will occupy one car parking area. This also applies to those that get the two top option from the factory you will need to figure where to store the second top when you use the soft top.

if You stand the roof up on the back side to reduce the foot print you are now on the rear glass door. If you put cushion material to keep the glass off the floor contact the roof has the weight on the roof in a manner it was not designed for because it’s stored vertical and not horizontal as it would sit on the vehicle. Having not seen the quality of the new mic roof you could find a warped roof because of how you stored it in your garage. These things are heavy.

perfectburrito

Badlands
First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Badlands Sasquatch, 2.7AT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Same. When I see colors next month on the Sport and F150, ill be rooting

OP here -

I agree with the above. With the exception that the $1,200 number "feels" right if you were to buy a soft top from the parts department. And $695 "feels" like the wrong number if you were to buy a MIC from a parts department...it certainly makes sense that the two numbers should be added, and a MIC top from the parts department should be more inline with the $1,895 figure.

.....and while all of my number crunching is based on snippets of data that have been disclosed to us, that's not to say it's final. It's just the best that we could come up with now. At the end of the day, Ford will set the prices based on what the market is willing to pay. Does that mean that the all-in cost post tax, delivery, sound deadening is in fact $5k for a MOD top from the parts department?? Maybe not. There may not be a lot of takers at that level. But who knows....

I guess the point of the post is that the whole future upgrade to a MOD top, and limited demand on the secondhand market to sell your MIC top, is certainly going to cost a lot more $$ than many are assuming. I think there are a lot of guys thinking they will only take a $1,000-$1,500 hit from this when everything is said and done, but it's certainly going to be much more than that.

Given we probably wont know what the real cost of a standalone MOD top will be when we go to finalize our orders, then I urge people to be prepared to pay upwards of what the math is telling us now. This is really important for guys that may be pigeon holing themselves by ordering a specific color that would go very well with a MOD top, and horrible with a MIC top, and then they are in a position to shell out $2k more than what there were initially thinking the MOD top would cost them.
Sorry, I edited my post before your response dropped. I agree 100%. But it's just one of many unrealistic expectations I see posted here daily.
Sponsored