Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

After having my Bronco three days and less than 100 miles, I was about five miles from home when my transmission light came on last night and the vehicle would not go any faster than about 35mph. At 35 the power was limited and a fair bit of vibration could be felt. At the time I had it in eco mode.
I havenā€™t experienced limp mode since having a Volvo years ago, so not sure if thatā€™s what was going on.
Needless to say Iā€™m livid. To wait months and then have the excitement of finally being able to drive it snubbed by a possibly serious trans issue is infuriating. I havenā€™t read of anyone having a similar issue and wanted to let others know about it. I have the 2.7. Itā€™s been towed to the dealer where they will look at it first thing tomorrow. Iā€™m hoping itā€™s something as simple as a bad sensor. Iā€™ll update as I have news.

UPDATE: Happy to say the Bronco is back home and is running without any problems. The codes generated were P0201, P0205, P0301, and P0305. Cylinders 1 and 5 had out of range voltage or resistance, as well as ignition misfires. No abnormalities were found by the dealer that would direct them to a cause. Hopefully the software flash resolved whatever the issue was.

0ACA8E8F-F297-47C8-9DEB-D237CB9DCBBC.jpeg
Sponsored

Last edited:

Butzy

Base
First Name
Butzy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
f150 & bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

How? How did you have it 3 days and only manage to put 100 miles on it?

Missy_Fussy

Black Diamond
First Name
Melissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW Atlas
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
After having my Bronco three days and less than 100 miles, I was about five miles from home when my transmission light came on last night and the vehicle would not go any faster than about 35mph. At 35 the power was limited and a fair bit of vibration could be felt. At the time I had it in eco mode.
I havenā€™t experienced limp mode since having a Volvo years ago, so not sure if thatā€™s what was going on.
Needless to say Iā€™m livid. To wait months and then have the excitement of finally being able to drive it snubbed by a possibly serious trans issue is infuriating. I havenā€™t read of anyone having a similar issue and wanted to let others know about it. I have the 2.7. Itā€™s been towed to the dealer where they will look at it first thing tomorrow. Iā€™m hoping itā€™s something as simple as a bad sensor. Iā€™ll update as I have news.
I never said curse words until I reserved a Bronco... I am sorry to hear about your debacle... but this calls for another "dafuq"
Ford Bronco UPDATE: Transmission problem before 100 miles- had to be towed šŸ˜” 1635701290154

do let the peanut gallery (the dirt mountain miscreants) know how things turn out

Last edited:

Toccoa

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Isuzu Rodeo Sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Ford Bronco UPDATE: Transmission problem before 100 miles- had to be towed šŸ˜” 1635701667102

Sponsored
OP
OP
Jabberwock

Jabberwock

Big Bend
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I LOVE everything about it so far. I just canā€™t believe this is happening in a $50k+ vehicle with less than 100 miles on it.

OP
OP
Jabberwock

Jabberwock

Big Bend
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

How? How did you have it 3 days and only manage to put 100 miles on it?
Very good question! Two of those days were spent working 12 hour shifts in an ICU. I also had been driving a 2D OB loaner for two months so the priority for me on the third day was to get the side steps mounted so my kids donā€™t scratch up the door sills.

Desert_6G

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Are these things duds or what? The Bronco I had at an off-roadeo had a major engine issue and just died on the trail.

With what I keep seeing, I'm glad I'm probably not going to get one until 2023.
These engine and trans are nearly 10 year old design. Whether you get one now or in two years the design and components aren't likely to change. Stuff still brakes on new vehicles too. All the Bronco's at the off rodeo are driven off road 100% of their life. They constantly have components being tested and driven in dusty air everyday.

JimmyG

Badlands
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords and Cadillacs
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I LOVE everything about it so far. I just canā€™t believe this is happening in a $50k+ vehicle with less than 100 miles on it.
Are you sure it's a tranny issue and not a dropped cylinder or valve issue? I guess you'll find out soon eh?

Sponsored

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Are these things duds or what? The Bronco I had at an off-roadeo had a major engine issue and just died on the trail.

With what I keep seeing, I'm glad I'm probably not going to get one until 2023.
Nah, not really.

Like any vehicle, the Bronco will be far from perfect... but the internet is really good about condensing all of the bad news into a single location. Probably safe to say that most people don't make "hey everything is fine, nothing to report!" posts.

OP
OP
Jabberwock

Jabberwock

Big Bend
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Nah, not really.

Like any vehicle, the Bronco will be far from perfect... but the internet is really good about condensing all of the bad news into a single location.
Very true, just like the media in general.

Deleted member 19285

These engine and trans are nearly 10 year old design. Whether you get one now or in two years the design and components aren't likely to change. Stuff still brakes on new vehicles too. All the Bronco's at the off rodeo are driven off road 100% of their life. They constantly have components being tested and driven in dusty air everyday.
I think the line needs to settle down and assembly kinks need to sort themselves out. Too much rushing.
Sponsored