Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Happy to say the Bronco is back home and is running without any problems. The codes generated were P0201, P0205, P0301, and P0305. Cylinders 1 and 5 had out of range voltage or resistance, as well as ignition misfires. No abnormalities were found by the dealer that would direct them to a cause. Hopefully the software flash resolved whatever the issue was.
Sponsored

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
You might consider having a set of spark plugs handy.... when Ecoboost motors act up with sputtering and misfires, often it is the spark plugs that are the culprit. BTDT. That's what those codes would also suggest as potential culprits.

AZ_Liberty

Base
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Base
P0201 = injector circuit fault/OT cylinder 1
P0205 = injector circuit fault cylinder 5
P0301 = generic misfire cylinder 1
P0305 = generic misfire cylinder 5

The fact that they went away concerns me more than the fact that they showed up in the first place.

On every other Ford I have owned, those codes usually mean the stupid COIL on PLUG (COP) is bad. But they normally don't go bad for 50-80k miles, and I would not expect them to do so on a new vehicle.

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks

The fact that they went away concerns me more than the fact that they showed up in the first place.

On every other Ford I have owned, those codes usually mean the stupid COIL on PLUG (COP) is bad. But they normally don't go bad for 50-80k miles, and I would not expect them to do so on a new vehicle.
Yep, that's the more expensive culprit... if changing spark plugs doesn't cure it, the coil packs are the next thing to look at. Spark plugs are just too cheap to not change, and if someone dropped a tray of plugs, I could see this happening on multiple coil packs if the spark plug insulators cracked and were arcing to ground.

My prediction is that this code WILL come back unless there was some evidence of a bug fix in the code. I hope he was able to verify the module updates too. I wouldn't be confident that there was an update without comparing the software revisions in ETIS.

bigblueboing

Black Diamond
First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Forester
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond

Shoot. That’s just a feature on Volkswagens. Check engine light was on for almost 60k miles on my 12 beetle.

Sponsored

Rednek

Black Diamond
First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco BD/2023 Maverick XLT/02 F150/68 Torino
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

common concern for misfires on EB v6 engines has been spark arcing in plug well from moisture(water/washing,coolant)and cylinders 1/5 are running mates in firing order so either one could cause concern.

OP
OP
Jabberwock

Jabberwock

Big Bend
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Yep, that's the more expensive culprit... if changing spark plugs doesn't cure it, the coil packs are the next thing to look at. Spark plugs are just too cheap to not change, and if someone dropped a tray of plugs, I could see this happening on multiple coil packs if the spark plug insulators cracked and were arcing to ground.

My prediction is that this code WILL come back unless there was some evidence of a bug fix in the code. I hope he was able to verify the module updates too. I wouldn't be confident that there was an update without comparing the software revisions in ETIS.
How difficult is it to get to the spark plugs in these motors? Sounds like it would be a good idea to swap them out. Also, how do I check ETIS? This is my first Ford.

Razorbak86

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, BMW R1150 GS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

common concern for misfires on EB v6 engines has been spark arcing in plug well from moisture(water/washing,coolant)and cylinders 1/5 are running mates in firing order so either one could cause concern.
Jimmy, the use of dielectric grease should resolve that problem. Right?

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks

TxBadlands

Badlands
First Name
Ashley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jaguar f-pace
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I ordered a Jaguar in 2017 for a 2018 model.. waited a few months and the day it came in, it had to be towed off my driveway with 23 miles on it. I drove every car in the Jaguar/Land Rover fleet from June to November until they finally bought my car back from me and put me in an upgraded model at the same cost as my original order. Honestly, it tainted my whole experience and I’ve had a love hate relationship with the car since I got the replacement, so I completely understand where you are mentally… but I will say that having gone through that I had to remind myself why I ordered that car and to enjoy the upgrades until the next car. Sorry this happened to you as well.

Sponsored

Razorbak86

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, BMW R1150 GS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Happy to say the Bronco is back home and is running without any problems. The codes generated were P0201, P0205, P0301, and P0305. Cylinders 1 and 5 had out of range voltage or resistance, as well as ignition misfires. No abnormalities were found by the dealer that would direct them to a cause. Hopefully the software flash resolved whatever the issue was.
Glad you got your Bronco back. (y)

You should update the thread title and the opening post to include the updated info.

Rednek

Black Diamond
First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco BD/2023 Maverick XLT/02 F150/68 Torino
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Jimmy, the use of dielectric grease should resolve that problem. Right?
Always use dielectric grease to prevent arcing ,but what i was getting at with that low of millage was the engine washed by the detailing staff causing a misfire

Fat dog

Black Diamond
First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
this forum needs a stig mechanic.

Virtual-Chris

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Doesn’t it concern you that they didn’t actually replace plugs or coils on the misfiring cylinders? Seems lazy to me to just clear the codes and return the vehicle to you. Good luck.
Sponsored