First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Edge-F-150 Supercrew
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Did you ever notice why Jeep doors are round at the corners?

M&M Beer

Outer Banks
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Honest question.... does this stuff happen to Jeep doors?

If it does, par for the course. You would think theyd reinforce the corners for stuff like this, guess not.

Looks like door removal will be a two man job
Jeep doors are round at the corners they learned over the years.

M&M Beer

Outer Banks
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Thanks for posting.. I may have been too embarrassed to actually come out and say it!

For me I figured I would use two people the first few times just to be sure, but now because of this post I'll know there's a couple things you can check before you let go of the door, like the click, or the fact that if you're on the square fully you shouldn't be able to really move the door back and forth.

I also think I'll have the top bolt in hands that I can slide it in to help secure the top before I let go.

Do the door bags actually have any sort of protection for something like this. I would think it's for scratches and such, I don't think a bag would have helped. All that weight falling on a corner is going to take its toll.

It also made me realize, Jeep doors are rounded, I wonder if this is why?
That is why!

Dillhole

Base
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Jeep Wrangler 2dr
Your Bronco Model
Base
Honest question.... does this stuff happen to Jeep doors?

If it does, par for the course. You would think theyd reinforce the corners for stuff like this, guess not.

Looks like door removal will be a two man job
The hinge setup is totally different in Jeeps. There's no mystery if it's seated or not since the hinge pin bolts are over a inch long and permanently attached to the door that are lowered into the hinge on the body. Hardest part is lining both up and dropping in at the same time. The only people I know who've dropped Jeep doors was when they were stuck and popped free and went flying. For comparisons sake Jeep hinge pins are secured with 2 little bolts that go in from the bottom, I've never put those back in almost 10 years of ownership. The weight of the door and length of the pins keeps everything rock solid.

It does seem to be a 2 person job or at the very least a plan ahead job. Have the bolts on the seat waiting so you can still steady the door with 1 hand while grabbing and hand tightening the bolts with the other to help prevent this.

Sponsored

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

The hinge setup is totally different in Jeeps. There's no mystery if it's seated or not since the hinge pin bolts are over a inch long and permanently attached to the door that are lowered into the hinge on the body. Hardest part is lining both up and dropping in at the same time. The only people I know who've dropped Jeep doors was when they were stuck and popped free and went flying. For comparisons sake Jeep hinge pins are secured with 2 little bolts that go in from the bottom, I've never put those back in almost 10 years of ownership. The weight of the door and length of the pins keeps everything rock solid.

It does seem to be a 2 person job or at the very least a plan ahead job. Have the bolts on the seat waiting so you can still steady the door with 1 hand while grabbing and hand tightening the bolts with the other to help prevent this.
I recently was watching a video about how to take off Jeep doors. I couldn't believe that you have to pop off your plastic kick panel every time. For something that was designed to take doors off, they didn't make it very easy. How many times can you pop that panel off and on before it starts breaking clips or whatever?

Between clips and fumbling around with the electrical plugs, the door straps, and the mirrors.... No wonder people like the Bronco approach.

(Well with the exception that they forgot to program the Bronco to expect doors being off)

Dillhole

Base
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Jeep Wrangler 2dr
Your Bronco Model
Base
I recently was watching a video about how to take off Jeep doors. I couldn't believe that you have to pop off your plastic kick panel every time. For something that was designed to take doors off, they didn't make it very easy. How many times can you pop that panel off and on before it starts breaking clips or whatever?

Between clips and fumbling around with the electrical plugs, the door straps, and the mirrors.... No wonder people like the Bronco approach.

(Well with the exception that they forgot to program the Bronco to expect doors being off)
Must be a JL thing. All I have to do in my JK is unhook the door wire connector which is also part of the door tether which just slides off a hook and then I tuck the connector and whatnot into the mesh pocket on the door and lift the door off. Takes maybe 10 seconds to pop off a door and about the same to put one back on.

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Must be a JL thing. All I have to do in my JK is unhook the door wire connector which is also part of the door tether which just slides off a hook and then I tuck the connector and whatnot into the mesh pocket on the door and lift the door off. Takes maybe 10 seconds to pop off a door and about the same to put one back on.
Wow... I'm surprised they went backwards. Yeah check out this short video...what a PITA

OP
OP
Tor148

Tor148

First Edition
First Name
Tor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Braptor Bk, 21 FE RR, 15 F250,
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Updated with body work estimate first post!

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

UPDATE:
Body shop called me back. Took so long because there are no parts out there. Because of the corner and the crimping of the door it needs to be replaced totaly!! They also found a dent in the door sill( i guess when it dropped it fell over on the sill and put a little dimple in it) also there is some chipping on the rear door (no idea how that happened) So the total would be about $3000.00!!!!
I was surprised that the door was only about $700.00. Most of the cost is labor and paint because of blending everything together. Even if i want to fix it, i cant because there are no parts. God forbid i get a door skin taken away from one of your builds!!😂😂😂

The one good thing is that it actually is hard to notice, i have asked 7 people to look for it and only two spotted it and it took a good 5 to 10 seconds.....

So it shall stay, for now.

We will see what happens this weekend, going to Rausch Creek on saturday. Maybe wont matter after that!!🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
Ouch. That decides it for me. If I ever do this I'll bend it back and bedliner a strip down the bottom of the door and the rockers.

Sponsored

xcxv

Heritage
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Heritage

Mac n Nevada

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser/2019 Jeep GC Trailhawk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

For $3000, it can just be part of the "character" and a good story... (y)

SCADABronx

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
LC100, Gen2 Pilot, MX P100D, Gen1 MDX, 2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This would totally happen to me. Personally, I'd leave it go instead of risk painting the door and it ends up being a shade off, constantly reminding me of that fateful day. I'd be more likely to forget about that separated crimp and other door dings will come in time.
Cheers!

hartstev99

Outer Banks
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
maxima
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

My son dropped the passenger door. I was trying to be OK with it and not be angry. Thankfully, I Received some great advice from 6G Bronco family. It took a little guts, but it came out fine. I used a rubber mallet and whacked the corner. I started off with a few light hacks and then a few good strikes. I was able to bend it back to nearly the same condition. There is a little wobble/ripple, but really unnoticeable unless you know where to look. I ordered touch up paint from “Scratcheshappen” for $25. It’s not perfect, there are some blemishes, but it’s a bronco and supposed to get dinged up.
I hope this helps someone else.
Sponsored