Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco FE, 2015 F350 2010 Focus 1995 F250
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Ross,
Are you getting any indication Ford is getting ready to issue an official communication? Silence may not be a viable long term solution.
This is like a 2 week going on problem with people who have taken possession, what do you define as long term.
Sponsored

navi

Base
First Name
Navi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
73 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
One thought I had about Webasto's fiasco is the raw materials. Maybe they got bad batches of resin from their supplier and it doesn't perform as planned. 🤔

Last edited:

2021badlands bronco bob

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 civic
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Incredible !!! - the way it keeps getting worse day by day -

Does it get worse after couple hours driving ?
Maybe mechanical stress twisting this way and that makes the honeycomb appear thru thin resin -

Is Webasto scrimping the composite resin which covers the honeycomb ?
I wonder if Ford will finally say something when the top starts to Fall apart on your head while you’re driving ? This is the point where the Ford fan boys come back and say that can’t happen ......

guerro

Banned
Raptor
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Right, could be engineering tradeoff . . .

Or maybe Webasto just screwing around and scrimping resin to save money . . .
That's the trouble when you sub-out production like this. Webasto gets paid for a number of hardtops and wants to minimize materials costs. If Ford has quality and warranty issues couple years later, does Webasto really care ?
This is how the factories in China operate. Unless you have someone on the ground at the factory to QC, they will cut corners at every opportunity.

2021badlands bronco bob

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 civic
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Cut Ford some slack here. Viable removable tops have only been around since the 1960s, so they're still working the kinks out. Maybe your grandkids will enjoy the fruits of their labors.
I love sarcasm it gets to the real point. 🤣

Sponsored

noliveaxle

Badlands
First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 jku rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Updated 7/20: @PREMiERdrum's MIC top exhibiting further issues:

The gift that keeps on giving. New today I have the "snakeskin" texture on both sides of my clamshell and signs of delamination all the way down the drivers side rear clamshell seam. There is also a dark rubberized vinyl streak that has obviously peeled off from somewhere clinging to the top of the raw edge, I'm wondering if this is the material they used to cover those edges to look properly finished?

My MIC roof hasn't been waxed or treated with any product in the 3 weeks since delivery.

The snakeskin texture is difficult to photograph but is quite obvious to the eye. It cannot be felt, only seen.

20210720_150146-jpg.jpg

20210720_150911-jpg.jpg

20210720_150929-jpg.jpg

20210720_151014-jpg.jpg

Updated 7/19: @PREMiERdrum now also reporting issues with his MIC hardtop:

Mine was delivered 3 weeks ago tomorrow with no visible problems. Even the "raw" (non-rolled) edges were uniform in color and texture and the headliner fit was great.

As of today, we have the headliner separating from the roof panels in two spots, raw edges fading to light gray / white with small cavities visible from obvious material loss, the clamshell reveal line flexing to uneven width across the passenger side rear quarter, and warping / flexing around the roof mounting bolts in the cargo area.

If this much can happen on these things in 3 weeks, I anticipate a rough few months ahead for those of us with early MIC builds. They just weren't ready for prime time.

screenshot_20210719-104330_gallery-jpg.jpg

screenshot_20210719-104316_gallery-jpg.jpg

20210719_103710-jpg.jpg

20210719_103700-jpg.jpg

20210719_131827-jpg.jpg

20210719_131822-jpg.jpg

Updated 7/18 with more info from @PREMiERdrum:

The first of many we'll see of these. It's becoming apparent that many tops were delivered that had their outer laminate layer cast too thin. Commodity intake procedures weren't able to tell because they looked fine. This - along with other laminating issues - are what spurred the additional inspections that held so many units over the last 2 weeks.

FWIW my roof is still 100% fine, and I'm realizing just how lucky I havr been with this build.

A bit more info: Issues with thickness uniformity of the 3 layers is what's behind the lamination issues (and these unsightly "thin" spots). There isn't an easy fix at this point.

Watch this space.

Original post:

I haven't seen any mention or photos of this phenomenon yet. Just today I noticed a honeycomb or snakeskin like pattern starting to appear on most of the rear shell.

Anyone else also experience this? Is it UV related? Reaction with Meguiars Hybrid Ceramic Wax? Something internal? 🤔

You can't feel the texture, it's strictly visual.

Interested in hearing some theories...

2021 Bronco MIC top issue - honeycomb or snakeskin pattern developing 2.jpg

2021 Bronco MIC top issue - honeycomb or snakeskin pattern developing 1.jpg
with all thats going on with your top, make sure everyone wears their seatbelts. hang in there. you will have a fix. (should be replaced) others with minor flaws may have to live with their tops.

GoTigersGoBronco

Badlands
First Name
Zachary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I think most of this comes down to price point. Jeeps cheapest hard top is twice as costly as the MIC. Webasto is trying to hit a low price point while also reinventing the wheel so to speak.

DUSTYcazOREGON

Black Diamond
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor/2022 Bronco/2006 Dodge Charger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

625 comments, 42 pages, 118,602 views....I HOPE FORD IS WATCHING!!! No more tops like this should be leaving the end of the line. As the rest of the vehicle, it should be damn near next to perfect. No scratches, no dings, no delamination, no inner core showing through.....good fitment, with the nice gray sparkle to it. This expensive vehicle and your customers deserve it! Thank you (long term multiple Ford Owner) You may want to consider a real long extended warranty on the MIC too!

BuzzyBud

First Name
TBD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
This is like a 2 week going on problem with people who have taken possession, what do you define as long term.
Some organizations do not like to publicly address an issue until a workable solution is ready. That approach may work fine if the duration of time does not exceed 4 weeks. However, if Ford needs more time some communication might be wise. Time will tell!

Akinmx

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Ford F150, 2011 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

To the random Ford Executive reading this thread:

Please allow me to change my Wildtrak order to a soft top, subtract the hard top price ($695), and give me enough Ford bonus points to use towards a hard top in the future when you get all the errors fixed.

That is all, thanks.

Sponsored

vrtical

Raptor
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

625 comments, 42 pages, 118,602 views....I HOPE FORD IS WATCHING!!! No more tops like this should be leaving the end of the line. As the rest of the vehicle, it should be damn near next to perfect. No scratches, no dings, no delamination, no inner core showing through.....good fitment, with the nice gray sparkle to it. This expensive vehicle and your customers deserve it! Thank you (long term multiple Ford Owner) You may want to consider a real long extended warranty on the MIC too!
Well that may be the case for a bunch that slipped through that shouldn't have but there is a case of it going south after delivery so thats more troublesome.

Carolina Jim

Black Diamond
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 2-door
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
You may want to consider a real long extended warranty on the MIC too!
The unfinished edges will hold water that freezes causing expansion & delamination...they look like they're crying out for some type of sealer to be applied.

But read the owner warranty:

WHAT IS NOT COVERED UNDER THE NEW VEHICLE LIMITED WARRANTY?
  • Damage Caused By: customer-applied chemicals (pg 13)
  • Damage Caused by: freezing, water or flood (pg 14)

imaginager

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
@PREMiERdrum First, I do appreciate the information you can pass along here. While I don't care to be engaged in working the MIC top problem, I would like to understand the details of how the problem is being approached. However, I understand that's not how it works.

Second, yesterday you said:

They're addressing them and shipping them out ASAP.

They can't just pull all incoming MICs for replacing these because of the domino effect on production, so they pull what they can and move them out. This week of shutdown will provide more than enough roof inventory to get these builds resolved.
And today you said:

I'd give it a couple weeks, there definitely are signs that a program is being formed.

The issues are serious enough and obviously widespread enough that a simple dealer warranty ticket system isn't going to work.

If I had to guess, I think it's almost certain that we're looking at a two-pronged problem: Shoddy manufacturing and a design that is too complex to build reliably. When this is the only hard top option, you're stuck either replacing very bad tops with only kind of bad tops or waiting to get something else moving.

From what I know, the conversations happening are quite interesting.
To summarize, yesterday the solution (for those of us with trucks parked at MAP) was that MAP's down week (7/26) will allow inventory of MIC tops to resolve all the parked trucks.

However, today the solution seems less straightforward. Is Ford going with "only kind of bad tops" (which really makes me cringe). Or is Ford contemplating something more permanent? Are we looking at a 2-3 week turnaround for parked trucks to be shipped with almost acceptable MIC tops. Or are we looking at months and months for a better solution altogether?

Again, not trying to give you a hard time. Simply want to have enough info to make an informed decision for my situation going forward.

Sighlense

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT - 2022 Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
To the random Ford Executive reading this thread:

Please allow me to change my Wildtrak order to a soft top, subtract the hard top price ($695), and give me enough Ford bonus points to use towards a hard top in the future when you get all the errors fixed.

That is all, thanks.
I'll second that!

BroncoBoy22

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'11 Mustang GT 5.0
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Other have suggested it as well as I. Ford may need to just call it on the MIC and make all orders soft tops until they can get it ready.

Ideally that would mean we could order a dual top with the mod top coming later.

If you have a crappy MIC top it’s better to have delam issue. Cuz if it’s just cosmetic I can see Ford dragging their feet or not replacing
Sponsored