Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Updated 7/20: @PREMiERdrum's MIC top exhibiting further issues:

The gift that keeps on giving. New today I have the "snakeskin" texture on both sides of my clamshell and signs of delamination all the way down the drivers side rear clamshell seam. There is also a dark rubberized vinyl streak that has obviously peeled off from somewhere clinging to the top of the raw edge, I'm wondering if this is the material they used to cover those edges to look properly finished?

My MIC roof hasn't been waxed or treated with any product in the 3 weeks since delivery.

The snakeskin texture is difficult to photograph but is quite obvious to the eye. It cannot be felt, only seen.

20210720_150146-jpg.jpg

20210720_150911-jpg.jpg

20210720_150929-jpg.jpg

20210720_151014-jpg.jpg

Updated 7/19: @PREMiERdrum now also reporting issues with his MIC hardtop:

Mine was delivered 3 weeks ago tomorrow with no visible problems. Even the "raw" (non-rolled) edges were uniform in color and texture and the headliner fit was great.

As of today, we have the headliner separating from the roof panels in two spots, raw edges fading to light gray / white with small cavities visible from obvious material loss, the clamshell reveal line flexing to uneven width across the passenger side rear quarter, and warping / flexing around the roof mounting bolts in the cargo area.

If this much can happen on these things in 3 weeks, I anticipate a rough few months ahead for those of us with early MIC builds. They just weren't ready for prime time.

Ford Bronco [Updated 7/20] Early Delivered Bronco MIC Top Developing Honeycomb / Snakeskin Pattern screenshot_20210719-104330_gallery-

Ford Bronco [Updated 7/20] Early Delivered Bronco MIC Top Developing Honeycomb / Snakeskin Pattern screenshot_20210719-104316_gallery-

Ford Bronco [Updated 7/20] Early Delivered Bronco MIC Top Developing Honeycomb / Snakeskin Pattern 20210719_103710-

Ford Bronco [Updated 7/20] Early Delivered Bronco MIC Top Developing Honeycomb / Snakeskin Pattern 20210719_103700-

Ford Bronco [Updated 7/20] Early Delivered Bronco MIC Top Developing Honeycomb / Snakeskin Pattern 20210719_131827-

Ford Bronco [Updated 7/20] Early Delivered Bronco MIC Top Developing Honeycomb / Snakeskin Pattern 20210719_131822-

Updated 7/18 with more info from @PREMiERdrum:

The first of many we'll see of these. It's becoming apparent that many tops were delivered that had their outer laminate layer cast too thin. Commodity intake procedures weren't able to tell because they looked fine. This - along with other laminating issues - are what spurred the additional inspections that held so many units over the last 2 weeks.

FWIW my roof is still 100% fine, and I'm realizing just how lucky I havr been with this build.

A bit more info: Issues with thickness uniformity of the 3 layers is what's behind the lamination issues (and these unsightly "thin" spots). There isn't an easy fix at this point.

Watch this space.

Original post:

I haven't seen any mention or photos of this phenomenon yet. Just today I noticed a honeycomb or snakeskin like pattern starting to appear on most of the rear shell.

Anyone else also experience this? Is it UV related? Reaction with Meguiars Hybrid Ceramic Wax? Something internal? 🤔

You can't feel the texture, it's strictly visual.

Interested in hearing some theories...

Ford Bronco [Updated 7/20] Early Delivered Bronco MIC Top Developing Honeycomb / Snakeskin Pattern 2021 Bronco MIC top issue - honeycomb or snakeskin pattern developing 2

Ford Bronco [Updated 7/20] Early Delivered Bronco MIC Top Developing Honeycomb / Snakeskin Pattern 2021 Bronco MIC top issue - honeycomb or snakeskin pattern developing 1
Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:

TheWoo

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Whoa! Interesting. Definitely seeing the internal honeycomb pattern - weird that it would "emerge" at a later time.

Maybe heat related out in the sun?

Sponsored

zfischer

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Tacoma, 4WD Sprinter, BJ42 Landcruiser
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
With 325 sunny days a year at an altitude of over 7000 feet, this absolutely does not worry me at all even a little bit not at all.

😬

OP
OP
DETT

DETT

Wildtrak
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Should have added above... You can't feel the texture, it's strictly visual.

Sponsored

CO-Bronco

Badlands
First Name
CO-Bronco
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 - 4dr - Cyber Orange - Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Noooooo. This is TERRIBLE.
If this is occuring AFTER a thorough QC then what's to say it won't plaque all the MICs what I'm the wild sooner or later!?

If this is wide spread RIP to the production of any MICs. Softtops only until they can get their sh*t together.

Ford Bronco [Updated 7/20] Early Delivered Bronco MIC Top Developing Honeycomb / Snakeskin Pattern giphy (4)

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

OP
OP
DETT

DETT

Wildtrak
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Did you notice immediately after applying the ceramic wax?
I applied the wax almost exactly 24 hours ago. Didn't notice anything this morning. Went to get pick up the kid and get groceries. Were out maybe 3 hours total. I just noticed when we returned and unpacked.

Lazerus

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL. Land Rover Discovery Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
You should not be seeing that. Was it like that when received and maybe you didn't notice? Or is it just starting to 'wear through' ? Either way, you should not be seeing the internal structure...

OP
OP
DETT

DETT

Wildtrak
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

You should not be seeing that. Was it like that when received and maybe you didn't notice? Or is it just starting to 'wear through' ? Either way, you should not be seeing the internal structure...
Definitely was not there or not at all noticable. It's pretty obvious in person now. Looks prematurely UV aged
Sponsored