First Name
Rouge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I haven't seen any mention or photos of this phenomenon yet. Just today I noticed a honeycomb or snakeskin like pattern starting to appear on most of the rear shell.

Anyone else also experience this? Is it UV related? Reaction with Meguiars Hybrid Ceramic Wax? Something internal? 🤔

Interested in hearing some theories...

2021 Bronco MIC top issue - honeycomb or snakeskin pattern developing 2.jpg

2021 Bronco MIC top issue - honeycomb or snakeskin pattern developing 1.jpg
Please let your dealership know. Ford would be very interested in seeing this.
Sponsored

Jrl

First Edition
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport ,first edition C.G
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Drop the 2022 bronco ,call them 2021 so the people who bought 2021 will not be deprecated as much.Totally forget 2022 bronco and go to 2023 .FMC value will remain and customers will be able to retain better values on their investment .This is going to be a messed up situation for FMC as these problems continue to be brought forward Someone at the company needs to act ASAP .

Oceannomad

Badlands
First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Audi Q7
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
...I will be leasing my 4 dr. base in a couple months... 310.00 a month..48 months...so I won't be to concerned about the longevity of the MIC...but to hear all the negativity after seeing 1 top,with a problem,which may have been created by the owner...after I'm cruising in my Bronco...I'll be spending very little time checking in here...
A top, one problem? You definitely don’t come on here much. There are multiple threads covering the MIC top. This just happens to be the first one covering the odd reaction to the owner doing some TLC to his roof. Enjoy your lease.

FlyingBronco

Badlands
First Name
The Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I just keep repeating to myself 'its only $700... its only $700.."

Ford has some of the best engineers in the world but apparently even they cannot design a functional hard top roof for only $700.. Resin is EXPENSIVE.

My guess is the cost goes up so they can spend a little more time and money on each unit. I'm fine spending something like $1500 is the roof is quality.

Jeep basic hard top roof is $1495.. 2x the cost of the Ford roof.

I think this is a simple case where Ford tried to make the part as affordable (cheap) as possible and its now backfiring.

1626633862846.png
Maybe the low cost is causing them to use less resin to encapsulate the honeycomb core and that is why we see through to the core. Also lower cost most likely translates to lower pay to employees, then workmanship takes a hit. In regards to the top and it’s current price, I guess it sticks with the old adage of you get what you pay for!

Sponsored

Sponsored

TRMFAM

First Edition
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
66 & 73 Bronco, 21 MDX A-Spec, 20 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

@DETT so sorry you are going through this...I am certain you will get relief from warranty but I would tell you to be patient because I bet it will take a while to get the parts. Thank you for posting and bringing to Ford's attention I think those of us still waiting will benefit from your pains if that is any consolation!

BradtheWelder

Base
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1969 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
I switched to a softtop 2 days ago reluctantly. But maybe it will be for the better long run?? I think there will be a better aftermarket solution later on eventually, I hope. A piece of me thinks that a steel or aluminum in a press would be a faster/better top than resin honeycomb mix. I feel like any type of metal would last longer then the resin mix. I think about the old fiberglass corvettes do not hold up in sun what so ever but I don't know if fiberglass is a comparable process. I doubt it would be much heavier.

Atomicdog

Base
First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I haven't seen any mention or photos of this phenomenon yet. Just today I noticed a honeycomb or snakeskin like pattern starting to appear on most of the rear shell.

Anyone else also experience this? Is it UV related? Reaction with Meguiars Hybrid Ceramic Wax? Something internal? 🤔

You can't feel the texture, it's strictly visual.

Interested in hearing some theories...

2021 Bronco MIC top issue - honeycomb or snakeskin pattern developing 2.jpg

2021 Bronco MIC top issue - honeycomb or snakeskin pattern developing 1.jpg
Thanks for sharing this, sorry it's happening to you. I'm a 2-door and need a hardtop but
I may wait until '23 for my 7/14 reservation.

Quinn_the_eskimo

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1981 Jeep Scrambler, 2021 Jeep Gladiator
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Wow. Some company could really make a killing by coming out with a decent hard top roof. Make it one piece for all I care. Just make it not suck
There was at least 3 companies making aftermarket jeep hard tops back in the day. Only reason I can see there not being aftermarkets for the Bronco is transportation costs. With enough failures in OEM, that cost will soon be negligible.
Sponsored