First Name
E
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Q50 (bronco soon)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Textured plastic isn’t made to be waxed. It is porous, and you have wax trapped in the pores highlighting the honeycomb structure under the surface. You haven’t damaged the roof, but you marred the appearance of the roof by waxing it. You will need to consult someone on what product you can safely use to draw that wax out.

https://www.carwashcountry.com/how-to-get-car-wax-off-rubber-or-black-plastic-trim/
Sorry, but that’s bullshit. Waxing the roof isn’t going to compromise the structure. It’s wax for f-sake.
Sponsored

ReimundKrohn

Big Bend
First Name
Reimund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Rav-4, 2005 F-150 Lariat, 2005 PT GT Conv
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Sorry, but that’s bullshit. Waxing the roof isn’t going to compromise the structure. It’s wax for f-sake.
What is compromised? That is an assumption based on?? What we know is that we can see substructure. We also know one is not supposed to wax plastic.

Lazerus

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL. Land Rover Discovery Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Every third page thers's someone blaming the OP for waxing the top.
What is compromised? That is an assumption based on?? What we know is that we can see substructure. We also know one is not supposed to wax plastic.

The product used claimes to be plastic safe. And, it's a 4x4 hard top! If a bit of wax can cause this, how can one possibly expect it to hold up to serious off road abuse?

The product he used says it’s ok on rubber and plastic trim.
08B6745A-FEEB-45C0-930E-A602A48E3386.png

Big Island Bronco ?♂️

First Edition
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ Cherokee, 1971 Z28 R/S
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Somebody needs to go dumpster diving at Webasto 😆. Do a little recon and see what’s going on. But all jokes aside Webasto is the reason I am in no hurry to get my 2-door First Edition. Thank GOD I still don’t have a vin#. And for the record if I could I’d take a convertible at this point. I use to know someone who worked at their other facility who from time to time helped out at the MIC top plant in Plymouth. They said from day one it was a clusterfxxk and night and day difference between the two plants. First off, the plant has horrible workflow as if it was a repurposed building and not purposely built, definitely not big enough to add production of the shadow black modular hard top in their opinion. Second, a hostel work environment with bad management, pre-FORD’s involvement. Third, sub par employees were initially hired to work there. These early employees were not used to working in a factory setting and were quick to complain when they realized the quality of work and long hours that was demanded of them. Employee turnover has been a huge problem! FORD has tried to right this sinking ship by raising the pay above Webasto’s initial low offering, bringing in their own management and highly skilled employees along with technical support, and ultimately spending millions of dollars. I personally know this is driving FORD corporate crazy and yet here we are with many of the same quality issues.... 🤦🏽‍♂️ In the end I am still beyond happy FORD brought back the Bronco, it’s an amazing vehicle that I will love MIC top aside 🤣.
Ford Bronco [Updated 7/20] Early Delivered Bronco MIC Top Developing Honeycomb / Snakeskin Pattern 3B3C9D93-7BAA-4A09-B462-8176CF261775
Ford Bronco [Updated 7/20] Early Delivered Bronco MIC Top Developing Honeycomb / Snakeskin Pattern A7EC310E-EB4D-43CF-8DFC-E92F9708F6F9

Sponsored

AMK610

Big Bend
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 RAM 1500 Rebel
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I have purchased many new vehicles over the last 10 years....every dealer has said, wait 6 months.
You really don’t have to wait anymore with modern factory paint processes. And dealers are the last place I get my info from lol

if you get into an accident and have a panel repainted, then yeah you gotta wait. But not even 6 months

jwhitecarolina

Wildtrak
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Currently: Mercedes Benz G550.
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Updated with more info from @PREMiERdrum:

The first of many we'll see of these. It's becoming apparent that many tops were delivered that had their outer laminate layer cast too thin. Commodity intake procedures weren't able to tell because they looked fine. This - along with other laminating issues - are what spurred the additional inspections that held so many units over the last 2 weeks.

FWIW my roof is still 100% fine, and I'm realizing just how lucky I havr been with this build.

A bit more info: Issues with thickness uniformity of the 3 layers is what's behind the lamination issues (and these unsightly "thin" spots). There isn't an easy fix at this point.

Watch this space.

Original post:

I haven't seen any mention or photos of this phenomenon yet. Just today I noticed a honeycomb or snakeskin like pattern starting to appear on most of the rear shell.

Anyone else also experience this? Is it UV related? Reaction with Meguiars Hybrid Ceramic Wax? Something internal? 🤔

You can't feel the texture, it's strictly visual.

Interested in hearing some theories...

Ford Bronco [Updated 7/20] Early Delivered Bronco MIC Top Developing Honeycomb / Snakeskin Pattern A7EC310E-EB4D-43CF-8DFC-E92F9708F6F9

Ah, man that stinks. Hopefully they will stand behind it and get you a replacement. This was one of my concerns about the MIC top from the beginning. Consequently, I decided to have uncharacteristic patience and ordered my Wildtrak with dual tops/painted hard top. I'm thinking I might actually see it some time before I die..... Good luck!

Bronc-itis

Base
First Name
E
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Q50 (bronco soon)
Your Bronco Model
Base
You made a statement as if the wax was causing the issue. Which I stated was bullshit. Not sure how much clearer I can be.

WhiteMamba

First Edition
First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco FE, 2015 F350 2010 Focus 1995 F250
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Well, obviously you didn't wax it. If you want the full effect of the new honeycomb look you gotta wax and buff the shit out of it.

tenor (3).gif
Well, obviously you didn't wax it. If you want the full effect of the new honeycomb look you gotta wax and buff the shit out of it.

tenor (3).gif
<iframe src="https://giphy.com/embed/lxjLXyapeLksW7nkUz" width="480" height="360" frameBorder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowFullScreen></iframe><p><a href="">via GIPHY</a></p>

Jolo86

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes GLC 300
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The more I look at this, the more it just looks like the plastic is semitranspatent.
But what do I know, I'm just standing here staring at it in person and not on a 5" phone screen 😜
OP don't listen to all the "experts" talking $h!. They're probably working through some childhood trauma.

Sponsored

timhood

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Oof. Of all things, this is far and away Ford's worst nightmare. Quality issues on a part that is already severely production-constrained and is ordered on 60+% of vehicles. I'm sure there are some Ford guys getting ulcers right now. I wouldn't not want to be the guy who green-lit Webasto as the supplier. That's a career-killer. No matter what the boss or boss' boss says about "we know it's not your fault," you'll never be trusted again.

Seeing this makes me think for the first time that my Day 1 reservation could very likely become a '22 delivery. Lux, tow, 2-door, 2.7 was already an obstacle, but these hard tops may become unicorns.

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Obviously a LOT of production consistency and QC issues involved in this, but I have another concern that's more about the design and material used.

One of the key points that was played up early on with the MIC top (and remember, that stands for molded-in-color ;)) was that scratches wouldn't show up because the top was a consistent color throughout.

Now we're seeing that a defect in the manufacturing process is producing an outer layer so thin that it begins to show an internal honeycomb pattern after a few days. Not sure if this is caused by some sort of UV or moisture reactivity or what (which is a big problem in and of itself), but my point is this:

What is a scratch or other physical impact (like hail?) going to do to a top like this?

No way that doesn't punch through the thin outer shell and expose the internal structure. Not only is that going to be very visible (unlike what we were initially told about these tops), but that internal structure is going to easily hold water and moisture.

So I guess my question is this:
Even if the manufacturing and QC issues get sorted out between Webasto and Ford, why should I believe that this top is going to have any sort of useful longevity at all? (And believe me, I want to believe this top will work out.)
A couple weeks ago, I saw and test rode in a 2-door dealer demo with hardtop. (The Wildtrak shown in photo below.) I paid particular attention to the hardtop given the production issues.

I saw no honeycomb showing through the exterior surfaces. I viewed all sides and even climbed up on the rear axle tire to view the top. Pushed on the panels etc. I was viewing at around 6:30pm on a mildly clouding day. Not sure if a different lighting situation would show something else.

Overall the exterior surface seemed solid and the surface treatment even - meaning a consistent slightly textured surface. The only thing I saw on the exterior, were some scratch marks, probably when the dealer earlier had the top removed, and probably was not so careful about where they laid the panels.

And actually I tried rubbing out the scuff marks with my finger, and one of them seemed to be disappearing. I did that because many of us will be having tree branches and other stuff hitting the top, and I wanted to see if the scuff marks were permanent.

Overall to me the hardtop outside surface appeared strong and durable. But who knows over time - that I can't answer. Based on the OP and other photos, the build quality varies between tops.

Ford Bronco [Updated 7/20] Early Delivered Bronco MIC Top Developing Honeycomb / Snakeskin Pattern P1160951.JPG

Oceannomad

Badlands
First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Audi Q7
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I kind of wish that we'd get more close-ups of customer delivered hard tops so we can compare...although it seems invasive to ask folks for that. I'd get annoyed if I had just accepted delivery of my $50k+ new car and took pictures out of pride and a bunch of folks on a forum started judging my new pride 'n joy (just like I have been doing, sorry OP). I think it's helpful and informative for new owners and at the same time demoralizing.

Lazerus

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL. Land Rover Discovery Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I kind of wish that we'd get more close-ups of customer delivered hard tops so we can compare...although it seems invasive to ask folks for that. I'd get annoyed if I had just accepted delivery of my $50k+ new car and took pictures out of pride and a bunch of folks on a forum started judging my new pride 'n joy (just like I have been doing, sorry OP). I think it's helpful and informative for new owners and at the same time demoralizing.
I run a business that deals with thousands of the same end customers every day. Nothing is worse than hearing a new complaint that starts with, 'This has been an issue for years, but I've never said anything until now..."
I always tell my customers "Don't be afraid to tell us about a problem. If I don't know about it, I can't take steps to resolve it."
Because, I assume while they aren't telling us about it, they are telling others. It hurts our reputation to be seen as not resolving the issue - even though we didn't know the issue existed.
Sponsored