Roll Sound

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wildtrack 2DR MIC OW, 2014 KTM RC8R
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I understand the purpose of the boron steel roll bar 😉. Still FORD expects the MIC top to react in a certain way during a rollover accident.
It'll be strong AF. They make boats out of that sort of thing and racing ones at that. It'll also scratch easily, so careful with that.

j_marinelli

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

lakesinai

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 4dr OBX MIC 2.7 Rear Locker A51 Roast
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Yes. 1,000% it's not wax. Every single exterior part on a vehicle needs to be able to stand up to car wax. Automatic car washers apply wax indiscriminately on cars and there's no way a manufacturer of a vehicle sold by the hundreds of thousands could get away with telling you not to run your car through an automatic wash*. These aren't Ferraris.

* Let's set aside the discussion of the issues of an automatic wash potentially being harsh to paint jobs.
AFAIK SMC is the process that will be used to make the MOD tops, Not the MIC tops
Thank you. That explains why Ford is doing MIC before MOD. So then, what process is being used to make the MIC tops? How does it work? What are the materials? Id love to know!

Lazerus

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL. Land Rover Discovery Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Mine was delivered 3 weeks ago tomorrow with no visible problems. Even the "raw" (non-rolled) edges were uniform in color and texture and the headliner fit was great.

As of today, we have the headliner separating from the roof panels in two spots, raw edges fading to light gray / white with small cavities visible from obvious material loss, the clamshell reveal line flexing to uneven width across the passenger side rear quarter, and warping / flexing around the roof mounting bolts in the cargo area.

If this much can happen on these things in 3 weeks, I anticipate a rough few months ahead for those of us with early MIC builds. They just weren't ready for prime time.

Screenshot_20210719-104330_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20210719-104316_Gallery.jpg

20210719_103710.jpg

20210719_103700.jpg

20210719_131827.jpg

20210719_131822.jpg
you shouldn't have waxed the top....
oh wait that was the OP.
I wonder what you'll be accused of doing to have caused this...going to be hard for people to keep calling these "one off issues" pretty soon.

That really blows. I might expect that kind of deterioration after several years of hard use, not three weeks. File that claim and keep on 'em till they make it right.

Sponsored

BaseSquatch

Base
First Name
@NotOJsBronco
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Ford Bronco [Updated 7/20] Early Delivered Bronco MIC Top Developing Honeycomb / Snakeskin Pattern C40EA5D3-02E1-4BF8-99F5-9C45BB5B1F31

Makes me beyond grateful that I switched to the soft-top before my Bronco was scheduled. The red-flags surrounding the MIC top were raised since the beginning of production. These hard-top issues don’t surprise me at all. It’s just unfortunate they were missed in quality control.

fschael

Base
First Name
Federico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 F-150 Supercrew FX4
Your Bronco Model
Base
Probably shouldn’t expose it to rain, snow, cold weather, road salt, mud, pollen, car soap, finger prints…Wait, these are all things I have to drive in…lol.

Are you seriously implying putting “wax” on a top that is supposed to hold up to all the above would cause those issues. Really???
It shouldn't for sure!!

However, before folks start applying wax on the top or any plastic trim... that thing never come off! the wax gets into the porous and you won't be able to take it out. You can just cover it with other products.

So, please, don't apply wax on any plastic part!

navi

Base
First Name
Navi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
73 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Ah,the joys and pitfalls of owning a brand new model vehicle!!
Kind of glad (but I still feel for you) I'm going to wait a year or 2 before making the splash!!
Maybe by then there will be new engine,interior, paint ,trim and roof choices!
We're talking about Ford here ya know.
Maybe a silver lining to this is they will rush the MOD tops using the proven SMC method into production for the my2022's

Assuming they keep delivering more of these MIC top Broncos, and they have these issues, what will happen?
Maybe a class action suit.
Or hopefully in a couple years you go into your dealer and ask for a replacement MOD top.
Then kick back in the parking lot and watch them crush the hideous MIC top into a pancake.
WIN WIN

Silver-Bolt

Wildtrak
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Raptor, 2020 Audi SQ5, 2023 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Hmm, might be pushing me to drop my top off at the body shop to be painted to match sooner than I thought.
Very bad idea. If it's a de-lam issue the money you spend for painting will be wasted. Good chance Ford won't warranty it since it technically was modified.

Sponsored

Nodrama43

Badlands
First Name
j
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
nunya
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Doesn’t help if it’s de laminating. And Ford will likely tell you your areanty is voided because you painted it. I’m in the same boat. Planned on painting mine white. But that doesn’t address the de-lam situation
it's not going to delaminate.........I don't care if ford doesn't warranty it......I wouldn't expect them to.

VictoryLights

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Pilot
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Line x is the way to go. I had an entire truck done and still looks amazing after 8 yrs
I think Line x is a terrible idea right now. The tops are literally falling apart and line x won’t fix that. Also, you will likely void any warranty claims on the top of you try to return one that is smothered in line x.

Bronc-itis

Base
First Name
E
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Q50 (bronco soon)
Your Bronco Model
Base
it's not going to delaminate.........
Love when people make guesses as If they are certainties. Nothing says “clueless” better. At least it’s entertaining

Big ragu

Banned
Big Bend
Banned
Banned
First Name
Aric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I think Line x is a terrible idea right now. The tops are literally falling apart and line x won’t fix that. Also, you will likely void any warranty claims on the top of you try to return one that is smothered in line x.
Ford Bronco [Updated 7/20] Early Delivered Bronco MIC Top Developing Honeycomb / Snakeskin Pattern Screenshot_20210525-223210_Messenger