First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I particularly like how in a recent video the sound deadening headliner sheds remnants all over the cabin. Not good Ford, what was wrong with dynamat?
Sponsored

SuperFord

First Edition
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

This thread is officially too long for me to read. I stopped at page 14.

I must say that some of you are a bunch of Karen’s. The negativity around here is overwhelming. So many keyboard gangsters will say anything behind the anonymity of their screen. Recall this and Ford sucks that. Class actions & “or elses” blah blah blah.

I’m sorry to the OP that his top looks like crap after waxing. I’m confident that Ford will make it right if it is defective.

On another note here are some pics of a MIC top on a First Edition that just pulled up moments ago.

I was never a fan of MIC, but this one looks ok to me. It definitely has a texture, but nothing near what the OP’s photos look like. Have a good day everyone. I hope you enjoy your Bronco’s when the arrive. I’m still very much looking forward to mine.

Ford Bronco [Updated 7/20] Early Delivered Bronco MIC Top Developing Honeycomb / Snakeskin Pattern D37F75E2-1DA8-4D7A-BD3B-FA2D3F0E0A7F
Ford Bronco [Updated 7/20] Early Delivered Bronco MIC Top Developing Honeycomb / Snakeskin Pattern A8EDFF72-DA28-4A32-A69B-734C4774BB76
Ford Bronco [Updated 7/20] Early Delivered Bronco MIC Top Developing Honeycomb / Snakeskin Pattern 6628CD7B-4C95-4510-8F42-E9AB6C06C180
Ford Bronco [Updated 7/20] Early Delivered Bronco MIC Top Developing Honeycomb / Snakeskin Pattern CA128F68-9441-4EA3-A55E-6EB07DC198DB
Ford Bronco [Updated 7/20] Early Delivered Bronco MIC Top Developing Honeycomb / Snakeskin Pattern 2B851874-858A-44A6-898B-0B2C35A8F8FF
Ford Bronco [Updated 7/20] Early Delivered Bronco MIC Top Developing Honeycomb / Snakeskin Pattern 0FAEA714-0AF8-4B13-803D-26AC2A32B0EC
Ford Bronco [Updated 7/20] Early Delivered Bronco MIC Top Developing Honeycomb / Snakeskin Pattern 68666304-D5F9-4CB8-BE38-6D5C3B4071E6
Ford Bronco [Updated 7/20] Early Delivered Bronco MIC Top Developing Honeycomb / Snakeskin Pattern 34ABDB46-3212-43ED-868E-286E9D361EDB
Ford Bronco [Updated 7/20] Early Delivered Bronco MIC Top Developing Honeycomb / Snakeskin Pattern 61702232-BD35-4DAC-B44E-EA6261F0AD46

Lucky Nut

First Edition
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 TJ
Your Bronco Model
First Edition

I must say that some of you are a bunch of Karen’s. The negativity around here is overwhelming. So many keyboard gangsters will say anything behind the anonymity of their screen. Recall this and Ford sucks that. Class actions & “or elses” blah blah blah.

I’m sorry to the OP that his top looks like crap after waxing. I’m confident that Ford will make it right if it is defective.

On another note here are some pics of a MIC top on a First Edition that just pulled up moments ago.

I was never a fan of MIC, but this one looks ok to me. It definitely has a texture, but nothing near what the OP’s photos look like. Have a good day everyone. I hope you enjoy your Bronco’s when the arrive. I’m still very much looking forward to mine.

Ford Bronco [Updated 7/20] Early Delivered Bronco MIC Top Developing Honeycomb / Snakeskin Pattern 61702232-BD35-4DAC-B44E-EA6261F0AD46
It that a 2 door? Can't really tell.

Efthreeoh

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hummer H3T
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Without knowing many design or manufacturing details, my gut instinct as an engineer is that this MIC top is looking like an overly complicated design by Ford that is difficult to manufacture. There shouldn’t be such an opportunity for errors that cause this many defects. Webasto the scapegoat?
It might be a bad design to use a honeycomb structure between the inner and outer SMC panels due to producibility reasons for high-rate production. Perhaps Ford should consider re-engineering with a structural foam interior, which would provide strength, insulation, better bonding between the panels, and remove any air gaps. It might add a few pounds of weight to each section of the roof, but that would be a fair trade off IMO.

Last edited:

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Seems the only thing not ready is the Hardtop -
Everything else seems well engineered, tested, wrung-out and ready to go - except maybe the supply stock -
Sure, if you ignore the winch blocking the camera and ACC sensor. And no roof racks for Sasquatch, and...

Sponsored

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

None of this make sense without knowing how these are made. You can't mold in a color (MIC) on a fiberglass cloth/resin top. FIBERGLASS needs a gelcoat; epoxy needs a polyurethane or epoxy paint coating. But some hypothesize that they're seeing the cloth lamimate.

If they're a laminate of 3 plastic layers, as others have suggested, that would suggest a heat press mold process with several material sheets. What is that? Is that used?

A third possibility is an injection mold process or a rotomold process. Is that used here?
https://3dinsider.com/rotomolding-vs-injection-molding/
Whats going on?
AFAIK SMC is the process that will be used to make the MOD tops, Not the MIC tops
Here is the info I've been able to gather over the past year about the construction. I don't know enough about these materials to know what any of the words mean.

POM for the MIC, SMC for the MOD

Ford Bronco [Updated 7/20] Early Delivered Bronco MIC Top Developing Honeycomb / Snakeskin Pattern Hard Top Types March 21

Oceannomad

Badlands
First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Audi Q7
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I noticed in re-doing my build, the site doesn’t let you add a brush guard to the vehicle if it has the 2.7 engine. Now why is that?

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Sponsored

Lazerus

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL. Land Rover Discovery Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided

Ford Bronco [Updated 7/20] Early Delivered Bronco MIC Top Developing Honeycomb / Snakeskin Pattern Hard Top Types March 21
And the gate keeper speaks.
How does expecting to be delivered a defect free vehicle = Karen? Particularly at this price? It's not a frigging Yugo. A $40k+ vehicle should not show shoddy workmanship. This is not the typical gremlins expected in a new model year, ie, minor design flaws that aren't discovered during testing.
Are you worried that people are going to judge your Bronco choice based on these issues? The whole point of a forum is to bring things like this to light so they're addressed and not swept under the carpet. 'Shut up and deal with it' is not a path to solutions.

rugbysecondrow

Black Diamond
First Name
Pauly P
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 C-10 stepside
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

And the gate keeper speaks.
How does expecting to be delivered a defect free vehicle = Karen? Particularly at this price? It's not a frigging Yugo. A $40k+ vehicle should not show shoddy workmanship. This is not the typical gremlins expected in a new model year, ie, minor design flaws that aren't discovered during testing.
Are you worried that people are going to judge your Bronco choice based on these issues? The whole point of a forum is to bring things like this to light so they're addressed and not swept under the carpet. 'Shut up and deal with it' is not a path to solutions.
He never said "shut up and deal with it", you are literally making stuff up. He posted actual photos that run contrary to your narrative.

And yes, there are a bunch of Karens here who will probably enjoy griping about the Bronco more than driving it.

There are also real people with real concerns to be addressed. To these people, Ford needs to address the top issues, both the OP and any new ones that arise. I am confident they will address these and other issues.

That said, the forum is not part of the dispute resolution process, nor should it be. We are now 33 pages into a bitch session from a bunch of people who are mistaking "anecdote" for "data".

I test drove a model and I was completely happy with it. I refuse to let a bunch of keyboard activists ruin what will be a fun purchase.

Last edited:

Efthreeoh

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hummer H3T
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Sure, if you ignore the winch blocking the camera and ACC sensor. And no roof racks for Sasquatch, and...
Well in defense of the winch issue, how many hard core off roaders are really going to care about automatic cruise control?

Nothing stops anyone from mounting roof racks. Manufacturer liability is a game played by lawyers, not real people.

And another mentioned is the bull guard on the bumper. It blocks the "Bronco" name on the grille. Oooohhhh, what an engineering fail that is! Lol. It's a styling issue at worst.

To me those small issues are nit picking shit that in reality are going to get ignored by owners.

wilbersk

Raptor
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Well in defense of the winch issue, how many hard core off roaders are really going to care about automatic cruise control?

…To me those small issues are nit picking shit that in reality are going to get ignored by owners.
LOL the winch not only blocks the ACC. More importantly, it blocks the front facing camera. It’s a MASSIVE mistake from Ford, don’t try to defend them on that.
Sponsored