First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
For what it’s worth, I did air down to 13psi in all tires while riding the dunes. Back up to 39psi for the trip home. Airing down (or not) shouldn’t have any impact on the engines ability to run though.
I have a question concerning GOAT. The OP stated they were riding sand dunes before the engine failed. I am guessing they selected a GOAT mode while running the dunes. When in dunes with our 4x4 vehicles, we pressure down the tires to 15-20 pounds in order to improve traction and not damage drive trains. Regardless of GOAT mode selection, wouldn’t tire pressure reduction still be required? Could not reducing tire pressure while in the sand have something to do with this engine failure? Just asking thanks.
Sponsored

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
For what it’s worth, I did air down to 13psi in all tires while riding the dunes. Back up to 39psi for the trip home. Airing down (or not) shouldn’t have any impact on the engines ability to run though.
But did you wax the engine?

MayhemMike

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercury
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Thanks, I was wondering about airing down. I do however disagree with “ airing down or not, the engine should be able to run through”. I have witnessed my fair share of off road vehicles that caught fire and burned to the frame because they were run through the sand without airing down. And I am only speaking of ocean sand dunes. Glad you have your Bronco back. It looks fantastic.

Beachin 74

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1974 Bronco, 2015 F-150, 2022 OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I have witnessed my fair share of off road vehicles that caught fire and burned to the frame because they were run through the sand without airing down.
Normally I would have called BS on that statement until I seen it in person. 😲
Watched this guy get stuck on the dune crossing from about 800 yards away in an Explorer. For some reason the guy panicked and kept revving the motor spinning his wheels until it caught fire and burned to the ground.

Happytown

Badlands
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 F150 Eco SCREW 4WD
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Normally I would have called BS on that statement until I seen it in person. 😲
Watched this guy get stuck on the dune crossing from about 800 yards away in an Explorer. For some reason the guy panicked and kept revving the motor spinning his wheels until it caught fire and burned to the ground.
Why does this happen?

Sponsored

Beachin 74

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1974 Bronco, 2015 F-150, 2022 OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Why does this happen?
From what I seen, inexperience and panic.
When your tires start to dig, STOP. Air down more, get the strap out, or get the shovel and start digging.

omega145

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon Recon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
From what I seen, inexperience and panic.
When your tires start to dig, STOP. Air down more, get the strap out, or get the shovel and start digging.
I think he meant, why does the car catch fire? At least that's what I'm wondering.
Did some Googling and found some similar situations related to over revving causing overheating in different situations:

https://www.fox23.com/news/breaking-news/revving-engine-spinning-tires-cause-fires/254364633/#:~:text=All the revving, shifting gears,Fire Department Spokesperson Tim Smallwood.

https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/loc...-suvs-engine-while-stuck-in-snowbank/2866311/

https://www.carscoops.com/2019/07/c...ngine-until-it-blows-up-and-erupts-in-flames/
Sponsored