First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Insurance? Your dealer's on crack! WARRANTY is more like it.... if the Bronco can't handle sand dunes... what's the point?

Thanks for posting.
Insurance company be like: Um, no. 😄

Bronc-O

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lincoln Aviator
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
The banter is fun, but it would be great if the Admins would lock or limit comments on these repair/warranty/gremlin threads. Since this section is/will be a resource for others, sifting through 12 pages of fruitlessness comments, with no resolution, makes it just a bitch session.

If the @Administrator limited the posts in to the Problem, then and update with the Resolution/Solution that would be incredibly helpful for all future information seekers, although maybe not as entertaining.
Just like most threads. 90% is useless and just makes it harder for someone to find the good stuff.

Broncodave

Black Diamond
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Challenger/Nissan Xterra
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

There are always a few people like this on any forum. They don't want to be part of the community, they just want to come in, get the info that's important to them and then leave. They've got more important things to do than spend time with us. They certainly don't want anyone clogging up their precious information channels with needless frivolity.

The Admin said it best. If you don't want to be a part of the conversation, then just bookmark the original post and check back for an update. Simple as that.

Last edited:

Frank N

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Well? Did the dealer call yet?

Sponsored

85_Ranger4x4

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1985 Ford Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Those VW-based buggies have intakes and exhaust up high, not below the bumper. Like how many 4WD vehicles are fitted with the “snorkel.” The more extreme the depth of the sand or mud, the less a “normal” setup can accommodate it.
Every truck in my fleet has the intake mounted about headlight high... which is usually higher than the intake on a VW buggy without open tires to fling sand literally right beside the engine. VW exhaust is for looks, they do that stinger thing on street cars too.

Farm equipment usually has air stacks or "snorkels" too, it is to get to less dirty air because they are built to run in dusty conditions day after day. Like the overseas 'Rovers and 'Cruisers which can convoy for days across deserts that inspired the snorkel fad in the states.

I live in a rural area with lots of limestone gravel roads, as long as you run a good air filter dusting an engine with the stock intake is quite rare.

If you are regularly dragging your exhaust in the sand you are doing it wrong. You will probably get stuck before you rip it off anyway. Even the overseas guys with snorkels don't do much if anything to their exhausts.

Intake/exhaust is completely irrelevant to this scenario.

rugbysecondrow

Black Diamond
First Name
Pauly P
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 C-10 stepside
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

There are always a few people like this on any forum. They don't want to be part of the community, they just want to come in, get the info that's important to them and then leave. They've got more important things to do than spend time with us. They certainly don't want anyone clogging up their precious information channels with needless frivolity.

The Admin said it best. If you don't want to be a part of the conversation, then just bookmark the original post and check back for an update. Simple as that.
At least we agree that this 14 page thread is "frivolity".

Lord Bronco

Black Diamond
First Name
Lord
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Intake/exhaust is completely irrelevant to this scenario.
Okay. I am one of the non-mechanic laymen posting in this thread that, I guess, has drawn ire. Fair enough. But I am interested in the diagnosis, so, with intake/exhaust duly dismissed as a culprit, what is the next best theory? Is the sand even a factor, or is the tech breakdown an unrelated defect?

I agree that this needs a thread of purely mechanical triage, like one usually finds on one forum or another when Googling an issue. In this case, those of us who haven’t gotten our Broncos yet are bored and trying to fill the time by participating in Bronco threads. And I’ll bet a few among the non-Bronco-havers are malcontents who are perhaps enjoying that someone who has already taken delivery of a Bronco—that somehow has factory towing package—and has been out wheeling is having problems.

And it’s relevant to remember the OP posted this problem, looking for advice, on a forum where the VAST majority of people do not yet have a Bronco and this have no clue.

I’m definitely not here to be one of the ones snarking about the OP’s problems; I feel very bad for him. At most toward the negative side, I do file this under “people who already have a Bronco problems.” I’m just interested in the cause/solution/outcome while also waiting for my Bronco and adding to my notes…

- Raise the soft top from the rear center and don’t rub it on the roll bars.
- Make sure the door hinge hole aligns with the bolt before letting go (already know from Jeep experience).
- Don’t take delivery and run soon after in deep sand, just in case, pending full triage of this issue.

I am jealous of Bronco-havers and insulted (by Ford) that Broncos with hardtops and tow package are already in the field while I wait for my non-tow soft-top. I wish the havers no ill will, but I am grateful to learn from their findings.

Last edited:

Bronc-O

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lincoln Aviator
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks

That simply gives a license to those that drift way off topic in so many threads. All I'm looking for is what the the dealer finds out is wrong here. We don't really need 14 pages of engineers, scientists or politicians diagnosing the issue.

Sponsored

85_Ranger4x4

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1985 Ford Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Okay. I am one of the non-mechanic laymen posting in this thread that, I guess, has drawn ire. Fair enough. But I am interested in the diagnosis, so, with intake/exhaust duly dismissed as a culprit, what is the next best theory? Is the sand even a factor, or is the tech breakdown an unrelated defect?

I agree that this needs a thread of purely mechanical triage, like one usually finds on one forum or another when Googling an issue. In this case, those of us who haven’t gotten our Broncos yet are bored and trying to fill the time by participating in Bronco threads. And I’ll bet a few among the non-Bronco-havers are malcontents who are perhaps enjoying that someone who has already taken delivery of a Bronco—that somehow has factory towing package—and has been out wheeling is having problems.

And it’s relevant to remember the OP posted this problem, looking for advice, on a forum where the VAST majority of people do not yet have a Bronco and this have no clue.

I’m definitely not here to be one of the ones snarking about the OP’s problems; I feel very bad for him. At most toward the negative side, I do file this under “people who already have a Bronco problems.” I’m just interested in the cause/solution/outcome while also waiting for my Bronco and adding to my notes…

- Raise the soft top from the rear center and don’t rub it on the roll bars.
- Make sure the door hinge hole aligns with the bolt before letting go (already know from Jeep experience).
- Don’t take delivery and run soon after in deep sand, just in case, pending full triage of this issue.

I am jealous of Bronco-havers and insulted (by Ford) that Broncos with hardtops and tow package are already in the field while I wait for my non-tow soft-top. I wish the havers no ill will, but I am grateful to learn from their findings.
IMO some sort of a Death Star reactor failure grade weird chain of events started by something simple.

I have had enough wheelspin before in snow to make the computer think a wheelspeed sensor was going out and to throw the ABS/TC lights on and neuter both systems. It should have never cut the engine though, that is weird. Not really familiar with he goat modes but sand mode should account for this.

And the trailer thing is weird too.

Like does it brick the powertrain if it thinks the trailer brakes are messing up? What chain of events causes that?

I dunno but it is weird.

But yeah, either a connector that wasn't quite locked together that rattled apart during the fun, a bad sensor in just the right place and/or a programming glitch is my vote.

As an example a connector along the frame may serve the fuel, ABS and trailer wiring systems... car looses connection with a lot of its systems all of the sudden and doesn't know what to do. Fuel pump isn't responding... = car dies and won't try to restart because it either can't talk to the pump or doesn't have fuel pressure at the fuel rail. Losing connectivity with the aft wheel speed sensors and trailer wiring causes more lights.

I bet it is something far fetched, weird and simple.

Bulletbill

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

That simply gives a license to those that drift way off topic in so many threads. All I'm looking for is what the the dealer finds out is wrong here. We don't really need 14 pages of engineers, scientists or politicians diagnosing the issue.
Ohh I can help you with that. The OP said it in his first post. Basically, he drove in sand, the vehicle stopped working and the dealer said, “sure is a lot of sand under here, probably should call your insurance company”

Which led to us to naturally react to such a silly suggestion. He also said he would update us (usually done on the initial post), if the dealer actually did some diagnostic tests to determine the root cause, obviously other than just driving in sand.

Hope that helps. Pretty sure any member here would have helped summarize it for you, except maybe @rugbysecondrow. He’s a little preoccupied trying to have the administrator censor posts on a forum. Which is defined by Webster as
“a place, meeting, or medium where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged.” Vs an audit, or deficiency report which Ford would have. If you want something formal with no discussion you would have to formally request that from Ford.

Hope that helps clear everything up for you, good luck getting Ford to share their deficiency report with you, I’m pretty sure it’s a closely guarded document which is unlikely to be shared on a public Forum😇.

Last edited:

Bronc-O

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lincoln Aviator
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Ohh I can help you with that. The OP said it in his first post. Basically, he drove in sand, the vehicle stopped working and the dealer said, “sure is a lot of sand under here, probably should call your insurance company”

Which led to us to naturally react to such a silly suggestion. He also said he would update us (usually done on the initial post), if the dealer actually did some diagnostic tests to determine the root cause, obviously other than just driving in sand.

Hope that helps. Pretty sure any member here would have helped summarize it for you, except maybe @rugbysecondrow. He’s a little preoccupied trying to have the administrator censor posts on a forum. Which is defined by Webster as
“a place, meeting, or medium where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged.” Vs an audit, or deficiency report which Ford would have. If you want something formal with no discussion you would have to formally request that from Ford.

Hope that helps clear everything up for you, good luck getting Ford to share their deficiency report with you, I’m pretty sure it’s a closely guarded document which is unlikely to be shared on a public Forum😇.
Looks like you read way deeper into that than what I said and twisted a few things. :rolleyes:

Drex

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 SLK55 AMG, '15 Indian Chief, '15 WRX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I wonder about that sort of thing in the future. There is proposed legislation to have breathalyzer technology required in new vehicles, preventing start of the vehicle. In the future there could be other methods included to disable a vehicle from starting for various reasons.
The young always think history started at their birth. There is nothing new under the Sun. Go read up on the seat belt interlock law debacle in 1974 and how it was kicked, vigorously, to the curb in 1975 and the law modified so you could legally rip that shit out. Even if they do something like that, it will be gone in short order. (they did something similar in the late 1980's with the auto belting seatbelts, also gone in short order. (airbags took their place, for more fun, go look up when airbags and antilock brakes were originally options, you will be shocked at how long ago it was).
Sponsored