Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Update 7/29
Ford engineer came to the dealership to investigate, found cylinder 6 had a dropped valve, which caused the engine to seize up. The engine will be completely replaced under warranty. Ford will be taking the old engine back to Dearborn for further investigation into the root cause but at this point, it appears to be a fluke manufacturing defect.

I didn't get an explanation in regard to the "Trailer Brake System Fault" and "Service Advancetrac" errors but it seems reasonable that the onboard computer would start freaking out after the engine shut down, so right now I'm chalking it up to that.

Dealer mentioned that they will pass on any additional root cause analysis and I'll update if/when I find out more details. I really appreciate the comments and support from 6G, kept me sane in an otherwise pretty awful week.
Sponsored

Bronco21fan

Black Diamond
First Name
Angelo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 bronco black diamond 2 door Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Update 7/29
Ford engineer came to the dealership to investigate, found cylinder 6 had a dropped valve, which caused the engine to seize up. The engine will be completely replaced under warranty. Ford will be taking the old engine back to Dearborn for further investigation into the root cause but at this point, it appears to be a fluke manufacturing defect.

I didn't get an explanation in regard to the "Trailer Brake System Fault" and "Service Advancetrac" errors but it seems reasonable that the onboard computer would start freaking out after the engine shut down, so right now I'm chalking it up to that.

Dealer mentioned that they will pass on any additional root cause analysis and I'll update if/when I find out more details. I really appreciate the comments and support from 6G, kept me sane in an otherwise pretty awful week.
Glad you getting a new engine hopefully they have you up in running in no time

OP
OP

mmcq

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Should be pretty quick, engine is being overnighted to dealer so should have it sometime next week.

Kudos to the Ford engineering team because it sounded like once the hotline case was opened, Ford made it a priority to investigate and determine resolution.

Bad news about the dropped valve, great news that they’re going to replace the engine. I hope they are quick about it.

TheWoo

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Update 7/29

Crazy. Appreciate the update. Does sound most likely like a completely random failure. Glad to see Ford is taking it seriously, though. That's a good sign.

Good luck being up and going quickly. Did they give you a timeframe?

Sponsored

CaptHugemeat

Base
First Name
Cameron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 CTS-V Racecar, 2018 CTS-V, 2022 Model Y Perf.
Your Bronco Model
Base
Oh boy, I worried constantly about my GT350 dropping a valve because so many motors had that issue. Not looking forward to worrying about it with my Bronco too.

Bronc-O

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lincoln Aviator
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Should be pretty quick, engine is being overnighted to dealer so should have it sometime next week.

Kudos to the Ford engineering team because it sounded like once the hotline case was opened, Ford made it a priority to investigate and determine resolution.
The nay sayers can catch their breath now. Glad to hear this news.

Mpatient1

Black Diamond
First Name
Mel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 BD CO/MID, 2006 mustang pony package
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

hope they have you in a good loaner :D my luck I'd end up with a fiesta or something lol :rolleyes::ROFLMAO:

OP
OP

mmcq

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
hope they have you in a good loaner :D my luck I'd end up with a fiesta or something lol :rolleyes::ROFLMAO:
Sounds like loaners are pretty hard to come by right now. The dealer it was towed to didn’t have any, recommended I call the purchasing dealership. They didn’t have any on hand either but were able to find me something. Might be a fiesta but at this point just happy to hear I’ll have the Bronco back relatively soon.

Sponsored

Bronc-O

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lincoln Aviator
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I would still hope that the dealership apologized for telling you sand did all of this.
Why sour the relationship with the dealer when they seem to be right on top of this issue. Who cares what was said? The outcome is what's key here.

WarDamnBravos

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond

Coming from the world of large corporate decision making, that is not an easy task to do in a short time. There are so many teams and oversight checkpoints that require sign off, I guarantee you there were late nights spent on the response strategy here. Sounds like they made the right decision.

WarDamnBravos

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Why sour the relationship with the dealer when they seem to be right on top of this issue. Who cares what was said? The outcome is what's key here.
He’s not souring the relationship….
The dealer apology would be “un-souring ” it.

lakesinai

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 4dr OBX MIC 2.7 Rear Locker A51 Roast
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Update 7/29
Ford engineer came to the dealership to investigate, found cylinder 6 had a dropped valve, which caused the engine to seize up. The engine will be completely replaced under warranty. Ford will be taking the old engine back to Dearborn for further investigation into the root cause but at this point, it appears to be a fluke manufacturing defect. Should be pretty quick, engine is being overnighted to dealer so should have it sometime next week. Kudos to the Ford engineering team because it sounded like once the hotline case was opened, Ford made it a priority to investigate and determine resolution.

Update 7/28
Spoke with the dealer, current indication is that the engine actually seized up. I'm not exactly sure how that relates to the ABS/AdvanceTrac/Trailer Brake system warnings, but I guess that does explain why the engine would not turn over. Being a brand new vehicle, dealer opened a hotline with Ford Engineering to investigate further, understand exactly what happened, and propose next steps. Should hopefully know more in the next few days.

Original Post
Took my Bronco (Badlands, 2.7) to Silver Lake ORV Area in MI last week and spent a couple of hours tooling around the dunes. It was our first time on the dunes, I didn't baby it out there but also didn't do anything crazy that would land me on YouTube. Kept it in sand mode the entire time, had plenty of power, handled great, didn't get stuck. Overall, my family had a great time!

Made it about 80 miles down the road when this fault popped up on the dash. Was running fine on the way home up until then. No strange noises, temp levels normal, no noticeable leaks or anything. Next thing I knew, the engine stopped and we coasted to a halt on the side of the highway. Tried starting it a few times after letting it rest, but it would not even attempt to turn over, just kept displaying this error and the "Service Advancetrac" fault. All interior electronics were working fine, but ended up having to get it towed to the dealer.

It's still being diagnosed, but dealer mentioned a lot of sand underneath and that I might need to file a claim with my insurance which took me by surprise. Am I out of line thinking it should have been able to handle a trip to the dunes?

Hoping it's just a bad sensor or something minor. Love my Bronco but can't help feeling disappointed that it didn't make it back from it's first trip off-road.

IMG_5314.jpg

Some more info / Q&A from thread:

Doors on the entire time.

The yellow check engine light came on about 5 seconds or so before the trailer brake fault and loss of power from engine. Will definitely keep this thread updated as I hear more.

Yes, I have the factory trailer towing package. Haven't towed anything yet. That would be interesting though because as you've mentioned we've seen a few ABS/Service Advancetrac errors pop up over the last few weeks.
Great outcome! Ford backed up their product! There will be occasional manufacturers defects. Thats a great engine!