First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Can someone give me an idea of what a repair like this takes, time wise?

By my count there are 350 million individual tubes and wires visible in the engine bay. How many of these need to be disconnected, replaced, otherwise dealt with in a full replacement? What are the failure rates of dealership-installed engines relative to factory-installed ones?
I would estimate, that really experienced mechanics familiar with the 2.7 could do it in roughly 1/2 the flag hours. I would guess that it's rough 20 hours flagged. Maybe more or less depending on how complete the engine assembly they send out is. The more complete the assembly, the quicker they will be able to get it in and out.

I am assuming that they are going to ship a long block with turbos.

I might add, it looks like nearly as much of a PITA as R&Ring my Ferrari engine and subframe is (which is also about 20 hours flagged), but I have done it so many times, that I can get it out and back in half that time. Really good mechanics are faster than I am and dealership mechanics know all sorts of little things that make life much easier.
Sponsored

Broncodave

Black Diamond
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Challenger/Nissan Xterra
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

consumer reports is an advertising based magazine. if you advertise with them somehow your product rates better... it is an extortion racquet...
Wow. Now getting comments from someone who has obviously never actually opened a Consumer Reports magazine in his life.

" CR accepts no advertising, pays for all the products it tests, and as a nonprofit organization has no shareholders."

https://www.consumerreports.org/cro...financials/no-commercial-use-policy/index.htm

p.s. An engine that blew a valve and had to be replaced under warranty would likely be reported by the owner as a "problem" during the CR reliability survey. Just sayin'.

Last edited:

FunForAll

Outer Banks
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, 2 F-150s, Explorer, Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Update 7/29
Ford engineer came to the dealership to investigate
Thanks for the updates! I'm glad you're feeling support from Ford and the B6G community! This has been quite the journey!

Mpatient1

Black Diamond
First Name
Mel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 BD CO/MID, 2006 mustang pony package
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Sounds like loaners are pretty hard to come by right now. The dealer it was towed to didn’t have any, recommended I call the purchasing dealership. They didn’t have any on hand either but were able to find me something. Might be a fiesta but at this point just happy to hear I’ll have the Bronco back relatively soon.
I'm just now realizing a loaner for extended length warranty service is not included in the regular warranty... that's ridiculous... guess I'll be researching Ford Protect for a bit :sneaky::unsure:

Glad it all is kinda working out for you so far!

Sponsored

Broncodave

Black Diamond
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I'm just now realizing a loaner for extended length warranty service is not included in the regular warranty... that's ridiculous...
That's why you buy a second Bronco!

Ford Bronco Updated 7/29 [Engine Seized, Full Replacement Under Warranty] My Bronco shut down after sand dunes run duh

Broncodave

Black Diamond
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I'm just now realizing a loaner for extended length warranty service is not included in the regular warranty...
But in all seriousness, I have never owned a new vehicle that needed an extended length warranty service. Is this a common thing with Fords? I have mostly owned Japanese or European vehicles (and one Dodge). Before anyone bashes me, I have several U.S. made vintage cars.

Last edited:

NotApplicable

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BEVs
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
But in all seriousness, I have never owned a new vehicle that needed an extended warranty service. Is this a common thing with Fords? I have mostly owned Japanese or European vehicles (and one Dodge). Before anyone bashes me, I have several U.S. made vintage cars.
Don’t worry, most American-sold Japanese and many American-sold European vehicles are made in the Americas

the poacher

Badlands
First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 ford ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Update 7/29
Ford engineer came to the dealership to investigate, found cylinder 6 had a dropped valve, which caused the engine to seize up. The engine will be completely replaced under warranty. Ford will be taking the old engine back to Dearborn for further investigation into the root cause but at this point, it appears to be a fluke manufacturing defect. Should be pretty quick, engine is being overnighted to dealer so should have it sometime next week. Kudos to the Ford engineering team because it sounded like once the hotline case was opened, Ford made it a priority to investigate and determine resolution.

I didn't get an explanation in regard to the "Trailer Brake System Fault" and "Service Advancetrac" errors but it seems reasonable that the onboard computer would start freaking out after the engine shut down, so right now I'm chalking it up to that.

Dealer mentioned that they will pass on any additional root cause analysis and I'll update if/when I find out more details. I really appreciate the comments and support from 6G, kept me sane in an otherwise pretty awful week.

Update 7/28
Spoke with the dealer, current indication is that the engine actually seized up. I'm not exactly sure how that relates to the ABS/AdvanceTrac/Trailer Brake system warnings, but I guess that does explain why the engine would not turn over. Being a brand new vehicle, dealer opened a hotline with Ford Engineering to investigate further, understand exactly what happened, and propose next steps. Should hopefully know more in the next few days.

Original Post
Took my Bronco (Badlands, 2.7) to Silver Lake ORV Area in MI last week and spent a couple of hours tooling around the dunes. It was our first time on the dunes, I didn't baby it out there but also didn't do anything crazy that would land me on YouTube. Kept it in sand mode the entire time, had plenty of power, handled great, didn't get stuck. Overall, my family had a great time!

Made it about 80 miles down the road when this fault popped up on the dash. Was running fine on the way home up until then. No strange noises, temp levels normal, no noticeable leaks or anything. Next thing I knew, the engine stopped and we coasted to a halt on the side of the highway. Tried starting it a few times after letting it rest, but it would not even attempt to turn over, just kept displaying this error and the "Service Advancetrac" fault. All interior electronics were working fine, but ended up having to get it towed to the dealer.

It's still being diagnosed, but dealer mentioned a lot of sand underneath and that I might need to file a claim with my insurance which took me by surprise. Am I out of line thinking it should have been able to handle a trip to the dunes?

Hoping it's just a bad sensor or something minor. Love my Bronco but can't help feeling disappointed that it didn't make it back from it's first trip off-road.

Ford Bronco Updated 7/29 [Engine Seized, Full Replacement Under Warranty] My Bronco shut down after sand dunes run duh

Some more info / Q&A from thread:

Doors on the entire time.

The yellow check engine light came on about 5 seconds or so before the trailer brake fault and loss of power from engine. Will definitely keep this thread updated as I hear more.

Yes, I have the factory trailer towing package. Haven't towed anything yet. That would be interesting though because as you've mentioned we've seen a few ABS/Service Advancetrac errors pop up over the last few weeks.
Really good to see Ford step up and offer a solution asap! Good on them, and good on you too, you will be back on the road in just over a week.

Bimmerxi

Black Diamond
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger, BMW R1200GSA
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Update 7/29
Ford engineer came to the dealership to investigate, found cylinder 6 had a dropped valve, which caused the engine to seize up. The engine will be completely replaced under warranty. Ford will be taking the old engine back to Dearborn for further investigation into the root cause but at this point, it appears to be a fluke manufacturing defect. Should be pretty quick, engine is being overnighted to dealer so should have it sometime next week. Kudos to the Ford engineering team because it sounded like once the hotline case was opened, Ford made it a priority to investigate and determine resolution.

I didn't get an explanation in regard to the "Trailer Brake System Fault" and "Service Advancetrac" errors but it seems reasonable that the onboard computer would start freaking out after the engine shut down, so right now I'm chalking it up to that.

Dealer mentioned that they will pass on any additional root cause analysis and I'll update if/when I find out more details. I really appreciate the comments and support from 6G, kept me sane in an otherwise pretty awful week.

Update 7/28
Spoke with the dealer, current indication is that the engine actually seized up. I'm not exactly sure how that relates to the ABS/AdvanceTrac/Trailer Brake system warnings, but I guess that does explain why the engine would not turn over. Being a brand new vehicle, dealer opened a hotline with Ford Engineering to investigate further, understand exactly what happened, and propose next steps. Should hopefully know more in the next few days.

Original Post
Took my Bronco (Badlands, 2.7) to Silver Lake ORV Area in MI last week and spent a couple of hours tooling around the dunes. It was our first time on the dunes, I didn't baby it out there but also didn't do anything crazy that would land me on YouTube. Kept it in sand mode the entire time, had plenty of power, handled great, didn't get stuck. Overall, my family had a great time!

Made it about 80 miles down the road when this fault popped up on the dash. Was running fine on the way home up until then. No strange noises, temp levels normal, no noticeable leaks or anything. Next thing I knew, the engine stopped and we coasted to a halt on the side of the highway. Tried starting it a few times after letting it rest, but it would not even attempt to turn over, just kept displaying this error and the "Service Advancetrac" fault. All interior electronics were working fine, but ended up having to get it towed to the dealer.

It's still being diagnosed, but dealer mentioned a lot of sand underneath and that I might need to file a claim with my insurance which took me by surprise. Am I out of line thinking it should have been able to handle a trip to the dunes?

Hoping it's just a bad sensor or something minor. Love my Bronco but can't help feeling disappointed that it didn't make it back from it's first trip off-road.

Some more info / Q&A from thread:

Doors on the entire time.

The yellow check engine light came on about 5 seconds or so before the trailer brake fault and loss of power from engine. Will definitely keep this thread updated as I hear more.

Yes, I have the factory trailer towing package. Haven't towed anything yet. That would be interesting though because as you've mentioned we've seen a few ABS/Service Advancetrac errors pop up over the last few weeks.
Sorry I can’t read 31 pages and maybe you have posted this but I live in Michigan and please tell us what dealer told you you can’t get sand under your vehicle and it should be covered by insurance? This is total bull I understand Ford corporate made the right decision but the dealership response is idiotic and they need to be called out as others may be taken advantage of by this dealer. As someone who won a lemon law claim against Ford because of crappy dealerships like this those bad ones need to be called out

Sponsored

ohvrider

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford F-150 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Good to hear Ford it replacing the entire motor so quickly.

Hope you get your Bronco back soon and running like a champ.

Broncodave

Black Diamond
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Don’t worry, most American-sold Japanese and many American-sold European vehicles are made in the Americas
(y)

I should have said "mostly Japanese and European branded vehicles"

bpurtz

First Edition
First Name
Bryce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKU Rubi, Sierra Denali, Taco TRD Pro, 4Run LTD
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Wow - great CS response by Ford! (y)

However, this might be a great time to see if you can opt in for an upgrade to a GT MK II 3.5 Liter Twin Turbo Engine. 700 BroncoPoweredHorses!!!

Altitude

Badlands
First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Grand Cherokee, 2008 Suzuki B-King
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

But in all seriousness, I have never owned a new vehicle that needed an extended length warranty service. Is this a common thing with Fords? I have mostly owned Japanese or European vehicles (and one Dodge). Before anyone bashes me, I have several U.S. made vintage cars.
I have the MOPAR MaxCare Lifetime service contract on my 2015 Grand Cherokee with 80k miles. I paid $2500 for the contract and have more than made my money back already. This is nice as its a true lifetime plan. The contract is in effect until a cost of repair exceeds the current value of the vehicle, then they will write you a check for that amount which ends the contract terms. My kid will be inheriting my Jeep when he turns 16 and I absolutely plan on getting that check someday!

I will be buying the Genuine Ford service contract for as many miles and as long out as I can. I just wished they offered a lifetime contract like MOPAR does.

Last edited:

Chuck_Ruck

Badlands
First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150, Wrangler, Eldorado, Harley, Triumph
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Update 7/29

Dealer mentioned that they will pass on any additional root cause analysis and I'll update if/when I find out more details.
Fairly confident the rest of us want resolution as to the moron telling you to pay for their manufacturung defect on your insurance. Can that guy/gal get a kick in the head?
Sponsored