Sponsored

UPDATED with Before/After Rustproofing: Startling video about why you should be worried about RUST!

wetdog

Base
First Name
Bruno
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jl
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I hate to see those axles and drives hats rust i know they are thick but it bugs me they are uncoated.
Every year I put on shifty outfit and crawl under my rigs with fluid film and a rag .keeping off rotors and exhaust I wipe everything down ,I live close to the ocean and salt is always present, I has worked great for me only negative is it tends to pick up dust and dirt.

P.s. that guy in the video sounds like the bad guy in a Johnny quest episode.

Mpatient1

Black Diamond
First Name
Mel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 BD CO/MID, 2006 mustang pony package
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Brianstrange

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
66 EB , 67 Stang, 77 GMC Motorhome, A6 3.0T, W211
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
You live up here and don't have a Wintah Beetah? The big killer is driving it on a storm day, and not garaging it. The buildup of salt infused ice\snow does most of the damage, so letting it melt off in a garage is huge. The concern I have with treatments like this is they usually act as a bonded channel for moisture to get trapped and contribute to long term corrosion. The company referenced appears to do good work, hopefully it's 100% sealed. I worry less about fasteners flash rusting, it happens. The 1966 Bronco pictured was Delivered on October 1965 with a flash rusted frame and lived it's life in NY. The big question is what is the quality of the steel used on the frame? That's what really matters.

Sponsored
OP
OP
SkyKing

SkyKing

Wildtrak
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 CG Wildtrak, E.R.A. 1966 Cobra 427 S/C replica
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

You live up here and don't have a Wintah Beetah? The big killer is driving it on a storm day, and not garaging it. The buildup of salt infused ice\snow does most of the damage, so letting it melt off in a garage is huge. The concern I have with treatments like this is they usually act as a bonded channel for moisture to get trapped and contribute to long term corrosion. The company referenced appears to do good work, hopefully it's 100% sealed. I worry less about fasteners flash rusting, it happens. The 1966 Bronco pictured was Delivered on October 1965 with a flash rusted frame and lived it's life in NY. The big question is what is the quality of the steel used on the frame? That's what really matters.
So you bring up an interesting point. Is it better to garage it and let the salted snow/ice melt off every day, or is it better to leave it frozen outside??? I can see pros/cons to both approaches.

KReich64

Wildtrak
First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Updated - see new comprehensive thread with Before/After rust proofing and other questions answered: https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/thre...fing-before-after-with-pics-and-videos.33381/

I live outside of Boston. They salt the crap out of the roads now - it's insane and drives me crazy. After recently having my 2006 4Runner hauled away for parts because of catastrophic frame rot with only 140K miles, I decided to research rust proofing options for my Bronco.

Anyway, I'm a skeptic on a lot of things and rust proofing is one of them. From old school Rusty Jones, to tar-based undercoatings, to WD-40, to spent motor oil, to newer products like Fluidfilm, Waxoil, hard wax, and NH Oil, it's hard to know what makes sense, and if it matters at all.

In any case, I took my new Wildtrak with 250 miles on it to a very high End car restorer https://www.alphacars.com/ that also specialized in rust proofing (as well as customization, detailing, PPF, ceramic coating, stereo, high performance exhaust and engine parts, etc.). It's very impressive and professional. They have several locations in MA and NH.

I am somewhat SHOCKED at what they discovered, which is the fact that Ford has put nearly zero rust protection on the underside of the Bronco. For example the body panels have up to 9mil of paint, yet the frame has only 0.5-1mil !!!! In some cases it's exposed bare metal where there is supposed to be paint.

I suggest you look at this VERY well done video of them inspecting the underside of my car and you will see why this should concern you if you live in New England.

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1...?key=YVFzZXNFdE5iSE5tZkc2RmVxLUJRd2pOWnRwSTR3

If you ever want to be confident that a service shop knows what they are doing - watch this video. And if you decide to give them a call, please tell them Jeff Abbott referred you and they will take $100 off your service (No, I don't work for them.).
The folks at Alpha Cars are GREAT! We bought our URAL motorcycle from them a few years ago. I didn't even know that they did this kind of thing.

What an awesome company, and worth stopping by one of their locations to see the awesome cars and bikes that they have for sale. Awesome attention to detail too.

Even though we now live in Florida, I will still look into rustproofing the Bronco when it arrives.

Bronco cat

Banned
Outer Banks
Banned
Banned
First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 Explorer ST, ‘19 GT350, ‘21 Bronco Sport
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

So you bring up an interesting point. Is it better to garage it and let the salted snow/ice melt off every day, or is it better to leave it frozen outside??? I can see pros/cons to both approaches.
What’s better is to make sure you are diligent in hosing out the underside of the vehicle regularly. In the winter running it through a car wash that sprays the underside and then in the spring and summer spending a little more time with a hose making sure all the hard to reach areas are clear of buildup. Do that and I guarantee your rig will outlast your need for it. and as a side post when I say regularly maybe 1-2 times a month at a minimum.

OP
OP
SkyKing

SkyKing

Wildtrak
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

What’s better is to make sure you are diligent in hosing out the underside of the vehicle regularly. In the winter running it through a car wash that sprays the underside and then in the spring and summer spending a little more time with a hose making sure all the hard to reach areas are clear of buildup. Do that and I guarantee your rig will outlast your need for it. and as a side post when I say regularly maybe 1-2 times a month at a minimum.
That would be good. Pulling hoses out in January doesn't sound fun but I take your point!

Bronco cat

Banned
Outer Banks
Banned
Banned
First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 Explorer ST, ‘19 GT350, ‘21 Bronco Sport
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

That would be good. Pulling hoses out in January doesn't sound fun but I take your point!
I promise it works. I’ve had multiple vehicles from multiple manufacturers including ford that have surpassed 150k miles with 0 rust issues (aside from surface) using this method.

Sponsored

Brianstrange

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
66 EB , 67 Stang, 77 GMC Motorhome, A6 3.0T, W211
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I see no benefit to leaving an ice buildup on the bottom of the car while outside. The faster it's off, the faster it dries. As bad as salt is, sustaining moisture is still the #1 enemy.

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
So I guess you’d consider this to be okay. Not me. I’m taking precautions after my last car was totaled from rot.

Ford Bronco UPDATED with Before/After Rustproofing: Startling video about why you should be worried about RUST! i_like_that_doctor_who

Ford Bronco UPDATED with Before/After Rustproofing: Startling video about why you should be worried about RUST! i_like_that_doctor_who
But..... But....... That epic Toyota reliability! Any chance I can buy your Toyota for $40K and promise not to look underneath it?

OP
OP
SkyKing

SkyKing

Wildtrak
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

But..... But....... That epic Toyota reliability! Any chance I can buy your Toyota for $40K and promise not to look underneath it?
too late - it's heading to south America now, where the frame will probably be fixed with 2x4s

Dillhole

Base
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Jeep Wrangler 2dr
Your Bronco Model
Base
What about salt corrosion on the aluminum body panels? I have a friend who was maintenance super at fairly large airport nearby and they were not allowed to use salt there since it corrodes airplanes quickly. Yes, we have some paint on there, but I wonder....most planes are painted, too.

Anyone with insight?
Thanks for giving me flashbacks to working at an airport loading cargo planes. No salt allowed so they dumped gargantuan amount of sand and when the taxiing planes turned just right they'd sandblast your face in -20 windchill. Good times.

Swatman

Badlands
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi S5
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Anyone have any experience with the ValuGard undercoating offered at Line-x dealers? My local dealer in Columbus, OH is quoting $575. Application is a day and a half process and they give a lifetime guarantee against rust. They describe it as a flexible asphalt-based product with a wax component.
Sponsored