stratego

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tesla M3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I wonder if he was a salesman at that dealer and make his fair share in commission of over MSRP vehicles over the years. That's the only reasoning i can think of as to why he was so calm about it. He must have made money before doing it and understands supply and demand and capitalism and isn't mad about it.

Nonetheless it's impressive how calm and composed he remained, especially after seeing his wife upset like that.
I can totally understand dealers adding markup to vehicles, but this guy put down a $1000 deposit for a vehicle and was blindsided with a price increase. I would have flipped and lawyered up.

allocations were based heavily on reservations too, so it’s not like he was taking up a scarce allocation.
Sponsored

dingle87

Black Diamond
First Name
Reese
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Explorer XLT
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I hope that is not their plan, if so likely to be very disappointed. YT videos pay about$5 per 1000 views and so far those two videos have about 13,000 views (ie $65)
I wasn't aware of those details, but if that's how youtube works... then, I'd agree that's a very big gamble for the buyer (if internet views was part of his decision, pure speculation on my part).

But... we're talking about people, who do things that others scratch their head at. 🤷‍♂️

AMBDBronco

Base
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

You didn't have to accept the 5k over MSRP. Lot's of dealers selling at MSRP and some under. Your employer must not think much of you or your work. And yeah you got what you wanted some exposure for your Youtube channel. I for one will not watch your channel.....
The OP, I don't believe is the guy in the youtube video.

Jbronc74

First Edition
First Name
Julian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
74 bronco , 2018 expedition, 2021 broncoFE
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
such bull..they spring on you last minute 4k over? not cool.. this shoud have been said up fron so the person could change if they wanted to... not be stuck... this launch is so flawed.. hope mine stays with what they agreed to....

BroncOBabe2.7

Outer Banks
First Name
Amanda
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Taurus
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

This guy just gave the middle finger to all of us. Got everyone hyped and on his side with the BS and then turns around and bends over for the dealership! This guy has a platform and could have pushed for MSRP or really negative PR for this crappy dealership, but instead he just showed every other salesman that is considering doing this to their reservation holders that they can get away with it. The guy is a moron and a traitor.

Sponsored

PowPow

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Tahoe
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
So the Equity people have in their trade ins due to vehicle shortages can be stolen by dealerships and its ok, like the dealership is entitled to it?

If you buy a house for $500k and then go to sign Escrow paperwork a month later and they say its now $550K because prices have gone up, you'd just brush it off? that's essentially what happened here.
I guess you think only you're allowed to benefit from the market volatility?
Would you rather state run business where prices are set by the government? If nothing was agreed to, then the business selling you the commodity is free to charge you whatever they'd like. It's up to you, the consumer, to decide if it's worth that price to you or not. You can easily walk away. And they'll sell it to someone else, or won't... and then they'll lower the price. aka "free market".

Again, I DO NOT agree doing this to customers that had an agreed upon price. So your last point is moot. Because that's not what I was saying. Agreed price should be honored. And if he/she had emails saying they'd sell it for MSRP, I believe that to be binding (at least I was told such). Therefore you could take it to court, but would that end up costing more than the $4k?

What I am saying is, when you run the numbers on it, it's not really all that bad if you're trading something in. You're getting more for a trade-in that you wouldn't have gotten even earlier this year when you ordered. (again, depending on trade-in)

Say you ordered a $50k Bronco and were expecting $20k in your trade-in. Finance $30k.
Market changes, demand skyrockets, supply diminishes and your trade-in is now worth $30k. Bronco still $50k, and now you only have to finance $20. But dealer raises price to match the market and tacks on $10k. Now you're back to financing what you originally thought you were financing. (yeah yeah yeah, taxes, etc... I'm just being super simple here. Plus taxes vary per state)

I would never be OK with "a wash" when the principle always comes back to how this dealer bent him over in the shadiest/most public way imaginable. They took their position of power/leverage, offered pocket change and piece of lent as a counter and the guy took it. This dealership should get bent, and his intention to "maintain their 20 year relationship" is bordering Stockholm Syndrome.
Again, not agreeing with the move if the dealer and consumer agreed to MSRP, and then the dealer decided to charge more, essentially holding him hostage since he already ordered. That's wrong. Period. Full stop. Not what I'm saying.

But if you didn't work out your deal ahead of time, how can you just assume that's what they'll charge when it gets in?

I'm sorry, but this is on the dude for not figuring this out during ordering. I couldn't imagine having ANY business custom order something for me and me just assume they'll charge what I want them to charge. That price should be worked out at time of ordering. If the dealership wasn't willing to do that, then go find another one.
I walked away with a buyers order that detailed everything down to the $5 messenger fee. (whatever the f that is) But I saw it, and agreed to pay it. No surprises.

Last edited:

Bronc-O

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lincoln Aviator
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I think the buyer got what he really wanted….. the vehicle and viral sharing of his video that will promote his you tube channel.

Road & Track had this story featured on their website last night as the lead story.
The buyer will make back the extra cost in YouTube revenue. Shame the dealer did this, but the outcome doesn't make me feel too sorry for her.

Bronc-O

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lincoln Aviator
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
This guy just gave the middle finger to all of us. Got everyone hyped and on his side with the BS and then turns around and bends over for the dealership! This guy has a platform and could have pushed for MSRP or really negative PR for this crappy dealership, but instead he just showed every other salesman that is considering doing this to their reservation holders that they can get away with it. The guy is a moron and a traitor.
They knew they couldn't lose either way. They'll make every cent and then some back. Seems almost as bad as the dealer in my book.

Last edited:

Kos

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

As someone who grew up in a house where my dad walked on a deal over $50 (seriously, the dealer even asked my mom if he was actually going to walk over $50 he was so shocked) I find the whole thing hard to swallow.

Impression I get is this guy worked for this dealership for 19 years. He’s used to this crap because he pulled on customers for 19 years. He no longer works for the dealership and now is shocked when they pull the same crap on him he pulled on countless customers. His upset wife just got her first taste of how her husband has done business for the last 19 years.

Sponsored

2021badlands bronco bob

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 civic
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Does somebody even have standing to force another party to sell an item they no longer want to sell to you? I hear what you are saying about verbal vs written but if I'd they can sue, nobody is actually going to sue over this. If they do, it will take way too long, cost way too much, and would surely not be worth the time or trouble.

Folks need to stop acting like this is some travesty. It is a Ford Bronco, nothing more, nothing less.
I think for most people the travesty is that for most businesses their word has no value in this day and age and that’s very sad. A persons word really used to mean something as did a handshake today for some people that have your view none of this matters anymore.

Bronc-O

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lincoln Aviator
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
As someone who grew up in a house where my dad walked on a deal over $50 (seriously, the dealer even asked my mom if he was actually going to walk over $50 he was so shocked) I find the whole thing hard to swallow.

Impression I get is this guy worked for this dealership for 19 years. He’s used to this crap because he pulled on customers for 19 years. He no longer works for the dealership and now is shocked when they pull the same crap on him he pulled on countless customers. His upset wife just got her first taste of how her husband has done business for the last 19 years.
I'm guessing the dealership didn't miss him too much when he left to do this to him? :D

JimL

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt, 2020 Ford F-150
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

I’m ashamed this entire situation, dealer and buyer, are from Pittsburgh.
I deal with Shults in Wexford. They’re an hour away from me, but worth every mile. They’ve never dicked me over. I’ve gotten everything for X-plan plus rebates or better, except the Bullitt, which I got for MSRP when they were all the rage in 2019.

2021badlands bronco bob

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 civic
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yep the guy wants to be a "Youtube Wonder" and figures this will help
I think you’re onto something. The reality is this will hurt both of them the customer and the dealer. In my eyes the dealership has no integrity whatsoever I know I would never buy anything from them.

LEGORick

First Edition
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Ford F-150 Lariat
Your Bronco Model
First Edition

Yeah, I have to admit I was a little shocked listening to the update video. Doesn't want to ruin a 21 year relationship? Shouldn't the DEALER be the one saying that? A customer owes nothing to the business, and it's truly sad he feels the way he does. Accepting anything less after all of the bad PR than MSPR if not below is unbelievable. The dealership should have been on their hands and knees offering to not only forget all about the +10k but to go above and beyond to ensure they redeem themselves with the general public.

And to those who think his 18k subscriber channel with less than 10k and 5k views on the two Bronco videos (at the time of this posting) is going to make that $4k back any time soon are absolutely dreaming.
Sponsored