Sponsored

Updating Your Base with 265/75R16 Tires?

Haystack

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes
Your Bronco Model
Base
2.7/auto. I love the idea of a stick, but I remember my wrangler in city traffic. Pride wouldn’t let me go with a 4 cyl, it was hard enough to do a 6 cyl in my F150 I had.
How bad was the performance hit when you added the tires?

WildWillie

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
How bad was the performance hit when you added the tires?
Not to bad, but noticeable (I believe). I didn’t do a great job of scheduling wheels powder coating and tires coming in, which left the Bronco on the lift for about a week. I really liked the pep with the stock tires, but I haven’t really pushed on it with the 285s. I’ll just put around in this until I need a power fix, which will be in the drag car

JT58Bronc

Base
First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco, 2021 Miata track Edition
Your Bronco Model
Base
2.7/auto. I love the idea of a stick, but I remember my wrangler in city traffic. Pride wouldn’t let me go with a 4 cyl, it was hard enough to do a 6 cyl in my F150 I had.
Looks great with the 285's on it. I initially had Basesquatch 2.7 on order, now I'm deferred to a 2022, have to re-order and start over and wait well into 2022 or 2023. I'm thinking to change to base with manual or auto and just do what you did with larger tires. How is the performance and MPG affected? I know what you mean about manual though in traffic. My 97 TJ is so slow with the 4.0 six and gearing in traffic, everyone just blows by me. The Bronco is intended to replace the TJ and wanted something that would better keep up with day to day traffic. But I also want decent fuel economy too. Perhaps the "tiny" tires on the base will be best for MPG?

Vigor

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
899BBEC8-EF48-4A6E-B1D8-144A3B202BCC.jpeg

BFG KO2 285/75/16 on base with stock wheels. I’ve only ran them a couple days, but I did make a 50 minute trip (one way) on them, which is likely longest I’ll really ever make. Maybe they aren’t recommended for a 7” wheel, but they seem fine so far.
So did you tint the front windows, or is it the angle/lighting of the photo? I recall Base not having a tint there

Sponsored

WildWillie

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Looks great with the 285's on it. I initially had Basesquatch 2.7 on order, now I'm deferred to a 2022, have to re-order and start over and wait well into 2022 or 2023. I'm thinking to change to base with manual or auto and just do what you did with larger tires. How is the performance and MPG affected? I know what you mean about manual though in traffic. My 97 TJ is so slow with the 4.0 six and gearing in traffic, everyone just blows by me. The Bronco is intended to replace the TJ and wanted something that would better keep up with day to day traffic. But I also want decent fuel economy too. Perhaps the "tiny" tires on the base will be best for MPG?
I’ve only got to put a little over 600 miles on it so far. I was getting right at 20 before the switch, now computer says about 18.5. That may be incorrect also due to not have my speedometer reset for the tires yet.

So did you tint the front windows, or is it the angle/lighting of the photo? I recall Base not having a tint there
Base came with no tint anywhere. I did all the glass matching except for the windshield, which has none. I’m not accustomed to tinted windows (been nearly 20 years since I’ve had any added) so it has taken some adjusting.

Vigor

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I’ve only got to put a little over 600 miles on it so far. I was getting right at 20 before the switch, now computer says about 18.5. That may be incorrect also due to not have my speedometer reset for the tires yet.

Base came with no tint anywhere. I did all the glass matching except for the windshield, which has none. I’m not accustomed to tinted windows (been nearly 20 years since I’ve had any added) so it has taken some adjusting.
Came out truly nice

WildWillie

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Came out truly nice
Thank you! Wife said to pace myself...I told here this was nearly a 20 year wait since first rumors of a return, I gotta have it all now!

OP
OP
StuRox

StuRox

Base
First Name
Stu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
Your Bronco Model
Base
899BBEC8-EF48-4A6E-B1D8-144A3B202BCC.jpeg

BFG KO2 285/75/16 on base with stock wheels. I’ve only ran them a couple days, but I did make a 50 minute trip (one way) on them, which is likely longest I’ll really ever make. Maybe they aren’t recommended for a 7” wheel, but they seem fine so far.
Very cool! Is this the base model with the Black Diamond (Black) 17 x7.5 rims? I was looking to see if 265/75R16 fit on the stock polished 16x7 rims. I want to keep the 16x7 polished and put on 265/75R16. Thanks!

Sponsored

WildWillie

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Very cool! Is this the base model with the Black Diamond (Black) 17 x7.5 rims? I was looking to see if 265/75R16 fit on the stock polished 16x7 rims. I want to keep the 16x7 polished and put on 265/75R16. Thanks!
Stock silver steelies (standard base wheel) powder coated satin black. They are 16x7 with 285/75’s

OP
OP
StuRox

StuRox

Base
First Name
Stu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
Your Bronco Model
Base
Stock silver steelies (standard base wheel) powder coated satin black. They are 16x7 with 285/75’s
Great! Thanks! Looks great!

1.) As far as the powder coating... What does it generally run per tire?
2.) Do you recommend getting speedometer recalibrated? Easy to do?
3.) Any concerns with gears running bigger tires as far as overall performance?
4.) Any concerns running these tires on rims that recommend minimum of 7.5" width?

Thanks!

Last edited:

WildWillie

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Great! Thanks! Looks great!

1.) As far as the powder coating... What does it generally run per tire?
2.) Do you need to get the speedometer recalibrated?
3.) Any concerns with gears running bigger tires?
4.) Any concerns running these tires on rims that recommend minimum of 7.5" width?

Thanks!
1. Here is usually $125/wheel, but I got a deal b/c of amount of previous business
2. Yes will need re-flash
3. Minimal, low stress driving most of time
4. Nah, same as 3

bdg149

Base
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021.5 VW Atlas, 1990 F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
RIP AMB :(

I'm a little slow on the uptake...
It just occured to me, the 265/75-16 is essentially the same tire as a stock Black Diamond.
Same width, same height.
The wheel to tire ratio will be off slightly , more sidewall on the 16" Base wheel, which is generally thought to be a good thing in the offroad world.

... in other words , just look at a Black Diamond picture.... LOL.

1629947093052.png

https://www.caranddriver.com/photos/g37183696/2021-ford-bronco-black-diamond-by-the-numbers-gallery/

bronco2drga

Base
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 2 Door
Your Bronco Model
Base
Anyone do this 265/75R16 combo yet? I'm curious to see how it looks. I don't want to do a level or lift kit and I don't want to stuff the wheel wells with 285s or lose 1-2 mpg if I can find a happy medium.
Sponsored