R-E-L-A-X

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Edge
Your Bronco Model
Base
While I've had T-Tops, this will be my first vehicle I can run topless. I'm staying Base model but want heated seats because I live in a colder climate. So Aftermarket I go. To those of you who have been running topless for years, what material do you suggest? Cloth, Leather, Vinyl...? Anything else I should consider?
Sponsored

Jr87mustang

Black Diamond
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Expedition, 1987 5.0 GT Convert
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Cloth seats in my 87 GT 5.0 convert have held up great. Top down all the time when I drive it.

Catmandu

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Jeep JKU (Officially Sold), 2015 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ran topless with a set covers from https://www.bartact.com/ over cloth sets for years without issue. I also sprayed the covers with 303 fabric guard regularly for extra measure.

mrcx

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'67 Camaro
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Always had cloth in every Wrangler I've owned. Liked it because it didn't get hot in the sun and breathes more when it's 100+ out and you have the top off. The "trail cloth" that Jeep uses holds up great and I've always been able to clean it.
Since I've not been able to see, touch, feel the cloth being used by Ford, I have no idea what to expect. The inserts on the Base look like good material, not so sure about the light grey surrounds.

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 4dr Badsquatch, ‘05 LJ & ‘17 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Vinyl seat covers and installed my own seat heaters in my wrangler 7yrs ago. I lived in FL and have black/charcoal seat covers and they were better than most seat covers and still look new. If I can get power seats then I'll be going leather, if I'm forced into manual seats, then I'll stay with the vinyl.

Sponsored

Fordboi

Badlands
First Name
Cameron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1966 Ford Ranchero
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

don't let @EvlNvrDys in here, or this thread is just not going to end well

Incognito

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 jk
Your Bronco Model
Base
Cloth for me.
If you are parking it topless, cloth beats vinyl and leather by a mile.
You have to plan to keep a bottle of water in the Bronco to cool the vinyl and leather seats before hopping in.
Cloth needs no prior plans.

------

In Phoenix AZ, I run naked +9 months out of the year. Minimum.

Alien UV sunshade lasted +2 years in the AZ sun. The same one is back on the Jeep after Spiderweb flunked out.

Spiderweb only made it one year in AZ and the color was blasted out and the bungie cords permanently streached out.
China mart junk IMHO.
AS is cheaper than SW to boot.

A new Alien Sunshade off Amazon due this week.

Guess I need to start a thread about UV sunshades before Santa time.

SamR

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Base
Cloth for me.
If you are parking it topless, cloth beats vinyl and leather by a mile.
You have to plan to keep a bottle of water in the Bronco to cool the vinyl and leather seats before hopping in.
Cloth needs no prior plans.

------

In Phoenix AZ, I run naked +9 months out of the year. Minimum.

Alien UV sunshade lasted +2 years in the AZ sun. The same one is back on the Jeep after Spiderweb flunked out.

Spiderweb only made it one year in AZ and the color was blasted out and the bungie cords permanently streached out.
China mart junk IMHO.
AS is cheaper than SW to boot.

A new Alien Sunshade off Amazon due this week.

Guess I need to start a thread about UV sunshades before Santa time.
Somewhat off topic but what's your thoughts on the canvas vs mesh tops? I really want the sun protection of the canvas but it seems like it would feel more open with the mesh..

mdepll

Black Diamond
First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
sorento
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Can you use soft top during Canadian winters or no chance ?

Incognito

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 jk
Your Bronco Model
Base
Somewhat off topic but what's your thoughts on the canvas vs mesh tops? I really want the sun protection of the canvas but it seems like it would feel more open with the mesh..
I prefer UV sunshades.
You can put the side widows up, holding in the AC while driving in traffic and be cooler than a hard/ soft top.

The mesh lets the heat rise out.
It amazing how many people don't realize that a vented top lets heat out instantly, compared to a non-breathable top, which holds heat in.

Running a bikini, or the top of the soft top only (covered wagon) is better if intermittent showers are on the menu.

Sponsored

SamR

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Base
Can you use soft top during Canadian winters or no chance ?
I don't see why not.. I use to drive a convertible with a soft top around in Iowa winter with windchills getting down to -40F and had no issues.

SamR

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Base
I prefer UV sunshades.
You can put the side widows up, holding in the AC while driving in traffic and be cooler than a hard/ soft top.

The mesh lets the heat rise out.
It amazing how many people don't realize that a vented top lets heat out instantly, compared to a non-breathable top, which holds heat in.

Running a bikini, or the top of the soft top only (covered wagon) is better if intermittent showers are on the menu.
Well now my decision is even harder. Haha. I'm starting to lean toward the mesh top though.

mdepll

Black Diamond
First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
sorento
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I don't see why not.. I use to drive a convertible with a soft top around in Iowa winter with windchills getting down to -40F and had no issues.
Thanks. I have never driven with a soft top in the winter and didn't know it compared with hard top to keep heat in and protect against snow etc.

Cappy

Badlands
First Name
Cappy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

don't let @EvlNvrDys in here, or this thread is just not going to end well
I say, "Let him in!"

That being said the Marine Grade Vinyl on the Badlands trim is supposedly very soft and almost indistinguishable from leather. I've had MGV in the past and it holds up great and like leather it gets softer with use.

Modern vinyl isn't like the stuff your grandma had in her continental back in the late '70's and early '80's.

OP
OP
R-E-L-A-X

R-E-L-A-X

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Edge
Your Bronco Model
Base
I say, "Let him in!"

That being said the Marine Grade Vinyl on the Badlands trim is supposedly very soft and almost indistinguishable from leather. I've had MGV in the past and it holds up great and like leather it gets softer with use.

Modern vinyl isn't like the stuff your grandma had in her continental back in the late '70's and early '80's.
The biggest question I had about the vinyl was its compatibility with heating elements. Sorry but I WILL have heated seats. Not only are they nice in the winter but it also just feels good on a back that isn't getting any younger. More than once they've been popped on in the summer when the lower back was feeling achy.
Sponsored