Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Newbie question: how often (miles?) do you typically need to drain the catch can? And assuming you replace filters / baffles in it regularly as well?
I plan on emptying mine every oil change or 2,500 miles, whichever comes first.
Depending on your driving style, you may need to empty your catch can sooner, i.e., after off-roading or when driving in conditions that exercise your engine. You should get a feel for how often you'll need to empty your catch can after the first few times you empty it.

Additionally, always check and empty the catch can more often in the winter months and in cold conditions in which the condensation within the catch can could freeze. UPR's warranty does not cover broken components due to freezing.

Regarding Filter/Baffles Replacement,
I do not believe the Coalescing Filter component requires replacement (waiting on an official answer from UPR), given the nature in which the filter operates. The filter is designed to remove oil and other infiltrates from the air that passes through; these infiltrates then drip to the bottom of the can. However, suppose you notice any build-up on the filter component. In that case, UPR recommends cleaning any part of the catch can system with warm water and dish soap - allow to air dry completely before reconnecting to your Bronco.

These extra maintenance steps are precisely why vehicles don't come stock with catch cans.
Sponsored

OP
OP
LethalPerformance

LethalPerformance

Raptor
Squatch Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.lethalperformance.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 First Edtion 2.7L / 2020 Shelby GT500 CF
Your Bronco Model
Raptor

Sponsored

JoeSpeed

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2dr 2.3 Manual
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

::goes out to check the mailbox::
Florida is like 18hrs from Jersey as well.

Just leaving it in the box for now, or should I just look and admire it right now?

OP
OP
LethalPerformance

LethalPerformance

Raptor
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Mine showed up yesterday. Really nice design/materials used. Going to install it after 2nd oil change/Blackstone report at 5k (next week).

Ford Bronco UPR Plug N Play Oil Catch Cans! BB1C5B9E-17A1-46C3-9733-920E976D7BCF
Ford Bronco UPR Plug N Play Oil Catch Cans! BB1C5B9E-17A1-46C3-9733-920E976D7BCF
Awesome!!

Keep us posted on how it works out for you.

OP
OP
LethalPerformance

LethalPerformance

Raptor
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
@LethalPerformance , you guys are fast

Ordered Weds and it at my door today
Glad you received it quickly! I'm a Jersey boy myself. Born and raised up there before moving to FL in 96.

Keep us posted on how the catch can works out for you.

Thanks again for your business as well!

amccue90

Badlands
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Information on the methodology and materials used for filtering, vapor savaging and isolated containment should be mandatory for all catch cans advertised.

There are a number of filtering mediums in common usage and while they all have a reason to exist, some are better than others in application.

In addition: The magnetic drain plug or remote drain kit should also have the bare minimum of info. What type of magnet, are you using a petcock valve? What materials is the valve made of?

This product being on the extreme high end of pricing for catch cans, they should have actual information on their unit. rather than "we're pretty cool and make a ton of catch cans, trust us!"

To wit, Webasto makes a ton of vehicle tops. How's that going right now?

If you force me to make assumptions about your product, I assume you cut corners and it's not worth my money.
Based on this, have you selected a catch can offering? and which one?

Sponsored

Shanesully

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Outback
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Mine showed up yesterday. Really nice design/materials used. Going to install it after 2nd oil change/Blackstone report at 5k (next week).

Did you ever get this installed? Would you recommend?

redone17

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
The can itself has been mounted for a monthā€¦but, I tried to connect the hoses on a 20Ā°F day and gave up after an hour. UPR has since released videos of how the locking harnesses work - so, I plan to give it another go as soon as we have a warmer Monday (only day off).

The PCV/Oil Separator hose that gets removed is on the side of the engine and you have to access from the wheel well. Even then, itā€™s hardly visible and mostly by feel. The locks are thin plastic and I didnā€™t want to risk cracking them.

Ford Bronco UPR Plug N Play Oil Catch Cans! 1A8B2943-43B1-448C-988C-C0BB44980D89

redone17

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Iā€™ll tell you what. That sh*t is a pain in the ass to access the fittings on the motor side. Iā€™m never removing those damn hoses. Sure as shit hope my dealer is cool with catch cans šŸ˜†

Before installing I realized the one hose was slightly longer - maybe 2-3ā€. Assumed it was for the intake side. Turns out it was probably for the PCV side because that fitting has to reach a bit further on both ends. There was no way I was getting them off once they clicked. Zero room to get any leverage to press the buttons to release from the vacuum fitting. I made it look neat and zip tied it to avoid hitting the control arm or steering shaft.

Iā€™ll report back in 1000 miles.

BrentC

Badlands
First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150 Sport, 2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Iā€™ll tell you what. That sh*t is a pain in the ass to access the fittings on the motor side. Iā€™m never removing those damn hoses. Sure as shit hope my dealer is cool with catch cans šŸ˜†

Before installing I realized the one hose was slightly longer - maybe 2-3ā€. Assumed it was for the intake side. Turns out it was probably for the PCV side because that fitting has to reach a bit further on both ends. There was no way I was getting them off once they clicked. Zero room to get any leverage to press the buttons to release from the vacuum fitting. I made it look neat and zip tied it to avoid hitting the control arm or steering shaft.

Iā€™ll report back in 1000 miles.
Iā€™m getting mentally prepared to install mine. I am putting it in with a drain line and valve (similar to the one I put on my F150) so you only need to put your tray or bucket under the valve and drain it without removing anything. As you said, once itā€™s installed itā€™s staying there!

Iā€™d recommend practicing the connections on the can side so you get familiar with how they release before you try to remove the OEM connections behind the motor.

Once I saw what it takes to access the motor connections I realized how nice it was to do on the transverse-mounted 2.0 in my Focus ST. At the time I thought that job was a PITA!

FWIW, Iā€™ve never had Ford say anything about the UPR can I installed on my F150. You should be good.

Question: could you do the install without taking the wheel off? I have skinny arms but I donā€™t think I could contort them enough to reach those connectors.
Sponsored