Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Enough
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Others have shown it being moved to the gas filler door or behind the front window on the B-pillar. No, it is not wired in. And when the battery eventually dies you have to buy a new one, you can't replace the battery. I still like mine anyway.
Thanks.
Sponsored

Derkz34

Wildtrak
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Toyota Prius, 2020 Honda Grom
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I understand the keypad and can appreciate it's usefulness but I don't trust having the key in the vehicle, even in a faraday pouch.

I thought about this for my use and what I came up with was remove the battery and hide the fob deep in the vehicle so it would be very difficult for a stranger to find. With the battery removed use the dead key fob procedure for starting the vehicle.

My other mild issue is the size and weight of the key fob. As is I don't like carrying keys so this chunk of plastic and metal is going to take some getting used to. My current vehicle has a small thin key that I don't mind carrying but it's one key and my house an office keys stay in the vehicle. I should really get combination door locks for them!

I backpack and the key fob is something I wish I didn't need to carry. I have a potential solution but I'll only know if it works after I get my bronco, hopefully only a few more weeks!

My big question is, how reliable is the keypad and how long do the batteries last? Do you need to have a spare battery handy in case it dies?
Not sure how long the batteries last but I read somewhere that when they die you have to buy a new keypad. One of the reasons why I moved mine to the gas cap was because I didn't want to deal with having to remove it off the car after it had been stuck to it over the years and risk ruining the paint.

Another thing is you would need to install the new one in the exact same spot or deal with that keypad area looking different due to it not being exposed to sun over the years.

Scott R Nelson

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Escape, 2-door Base Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Another thing is you would need to install the new one in the exact same spot or deal with that keypad area looking different due to it not being exposed to sun over the years.
I don't expect that it will be very hard to put the new one in the exact same spot as the old one. How many years until I get to find out?

Donkeygyrl

Base
First Name
Sheri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco on order
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Are you able to add the keypad at a later date? Receiving conflicting reports. I want to place the key pad behind the spare tire. Is this just a "stick-on" item? Or is it tied in via wiring?
Yes that is what I did ,used pass points for the pad and the hour of labor to forecast it to my bronco .
I know the battery is not going to last forever but works great now.

Crash98

Wildtrak
First Name
Viet
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford F-150
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Has anyone with the inexpensive faraday bags (2 for $15.00) from Amazon tested them in their vehicle by closing the key in the bag and trying to start, or just assumed they would work? Looking for confirmation before purchase, Thank you.
I have gotten in my truck several times forgetting my key is in the faraday bag and unable to start until I open the bag. Really annoying on a hot day!

Sponsored

Jawaburger

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco, 2 Door, Manual, Cactus Gray
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I have gotten in my truck several times forgetting my key is in the faraday bag and unable to start until I open the bag. Really annoying on a hot day!
Thanks, I appreciate the reply!

TWise

Outer Banks
First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4dr 2.7 Bronco Outer banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
10.9% of the population of the entire county is Amish. I live downtown which is 38.8% White, 38.9% Hispanic and 16.9% Black. Still not concerned. It could absolutely happen, just not something I need to actually think about. What a stupid argument to start when you have no idea what you're talking about.

I know the meer suggestion that you should reconsider your priorities is ridiculous. I apologize. /S

You live in Lancaster, PA. The oldest and largest Amish community in the US where 87% of the county's population is Amish. I would think that auto theft is pretty low.

Suggesting that people move if they are concerned about car break-ins isn't practical.

Deez

Wildtrak
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I understand the keypad and can appreciate it's usefulness but I don't trust having the key in the vehicle, even in a faraday pouch.

I thought about this for my use and what I came up with was remove the battery and hide the fob deep in the vehicle so it would be very difficult for a stranger to find. With the battery removed use the dead key fob procedure for starting the vehicle.

My other mild issue is the size and weight of the key fob. As is I don't like carrying keys so this chunk of plastic and metal is going to take some getting used to. My current vehicle has a small thin key that I don't mind carrying but it's one key and my house an office keys stay in the vehicle. I should really get combination door locks for them!

I backpack and the key fob is something I wish I didn't need to carry. I have a potential solution but I'll only know if it works after I get my bronco, hopefully only a few more weeks!

My big question is, how reliable is the keypad and how long do the batteries last? Do you need to have a spare battery handy in case it dies?
Removing the fob battery won’t help security. Most (all?) push button start vehicles have a workaround for this.

Here is how to do it in our Broncos: (spoiler - in the bottom of the center console)

tbruz

Badlands
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 Tahoe 2-door, 1976 Bronco Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Bronco keyfob batteries are replaceable.
Folks who are saying they are not replaceable are 100 % wrong