Sponsored

Use of 4×4 modes on dry, non-slippery surfaces, and somewhat related questions about G.O.A.T. modes…

Bob Blaylock

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Dodge Dart
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

• Banned
Browsing through the PDF of the 2021 manual, I find this notice on page 183…

Do not use four-wheel drive high or four-wheel drive low mode on dry, hard surfaced roads. Doing so can produce excessive noise, increase tire wear and can damage drive components. Four-wheel drive high or four-wheel drive low mode is only for use on consistently slippery or loose surfaces. Use of four-wheel drive low mode on these surfaces could produce some noise, such as occasional clunks, but should not damage drive components.

I've never owned a 4×4 vehicle, before, but I am aware of some physics, where in a simple 4×4 system, both front and rear wheels would try to turn at the same speed, which would cause problems is the vehicle is turning under conditions of good traction. I take it that this is the issue that is relevant to this warning, that in the 4H and 4L modes, the drive train would not be smart enough to allow for the different axles to turn at different speeds. Do I have this right?

What about the 4A mode? This warning does not seem to mention it. Is it OK to run in 4A mode on dry, non-slippery, hard-surfaced roads? Is 4A smart enough to account for the need of the axles to turn at different speeds?

——

As to G.O.A.T. modes. I've heard that there were a total of eight different modes, but no one Bronco has more than seven, and wondered which mode exists that I wouldn't get on the Badlands that I've ordered.

I've come across this pair of charts that seems to answer the question.

Of course, mine will be a 2022, so some things may be different than what is described in the 2021 manual.

Ford Bronco Use of 4×4 modes on dry, non-slippery surfaces, and somewhat related questions about G.O.A.T. modes… 242084755_1892733814245221_1584061427630801350_n

So, apparently the one mode that I won't have on my Badlands would be the “Sport” mode, if this chart is to be believed.

I don't know how accurately or completely the lower chart conveys the differences between these modes, but based on it, it appears that the “Sport” mode, which the Badlands does not have, differs from the “Baja” mode, which it does have, only in that the latter uses the 4H setting, while the former uses 2H or 4A.

So, if I selected “Baja” mode on a Badlands, and then selected 2H or 4A, would I then have the equivalent of the missing “Sport” mode?

I maty, while writing this, have found part of my answer. The description of “Baja” mode on page 243 says, “Four-wheel drive high is the default four-wheel drive mode. Four-wheel drive auto is not selectable in baja mode. Nothing about whether 2H can be selected in this mode. I do note that the description of “Baja” mode also includes the statement, “Do not use this mode on dry, hard pavement. This could produce some vibration, driveline bind up, and potential excessive tire and vehicle wear depending on the four-wheel drive mode selection.”, which is consistent with the aforementioned warning associated with the 4H and 4L modes.

I guess there's a lot that I won't really get the chance to learn about this stuff until my Bronco actually arrives.
Sponsored

IDyeti

Black Diamond
First Name
SPAM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco BD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Yeah 4x4 on dry causes the drive train to bind up. You can feel it if you've ever accidentally left it on when turning sharply. The 4A, you can use on dry as it will be in 2wd and sense when 4x4 needed and shift the transfer case accordingly.

I do believe you can do Baja and 2wd, just like Sport can do 4wd...or so I've read as I don't have my bronco yet.

rdass623

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road, Fiat 124 Abarth
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

my guess would be to follow the instructions because rarely do you damage things when you follow the directions... but it's your car...

OP
OP
Bob Blaylock

Bob Blaylock

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Dodge Dart
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

• Banned
Yeah 4x4 on dry causes the drive train to bind up. You can feel it if you've ever accidentally left it on when turning sharply. The 4A, you can use on dry as it will be in 2wd and sense when 4x4 needed and shift the transfer case accordingly.
So, is there really any reason not to just leave in in 4A all the time, other than when using a G.O.A.T. mode that doesn't allow 4A?

I do believe you can do Baja and 2wd, just like Sport can do 4wd...or so I've read as I don't have my bronco yet.
Sounds like you're guessing as much as I am. But it sounds like you think, as I do, that you can probably set to “Baja” and then to 2H, and get something pretty close to the missing “Sport” mode.

Then again, I could speculate about a donkey that is not domesticated, but if I did that, then I would just be making a wild-ass guess.

Dragline

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Yukon Denali, GMC Sierra 1500, Honda Civic, Chevy C3500
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I can confirm that you can shift to 2H in Baja mode (FE owner). Traction control is disabled, and shift points increase to 5000 rpm, may be some changes in steering performance also.

Sponsored

Norm A.

Badlands
First Name
Norman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
my guess would be to follow the instructions because rarely do you damage things when you follow the directions... but it's your car...
This ☝

gigidaho

Wildtrak
First Name
Gig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RAM 1500
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
So, is there really any reason not to just leave in in 4A all the time, other than when using a G.O.A.T. mode that doesn't allow 4A?
I leave my truck in 4A for much of the winter here, since the roads are mostly fine but there’s usually patches of ice and drifts of snow, 2H would probably be fine but I feel better this way. Don’t really see the point in running it in 4A if you don’t have variable conditions though?
I don’t know if there’s downsides to 4A over 2H (steering/fuel efficiency) but I would imagine there is?

Razorbak86

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, BMW R1150 GS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Paging @Natai. Your expertise on Goat Modes would be helpful here.

bytheway

Badlands
First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You can run Baja mode in 2WD but it specifically says “for off-road use only” so it’s really not a replacement for sport mode. It activates the front camera while you’re driving though which my kids find amusing.

New2This

Badlands
First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Sounds like you're guessing as much as I am. But it sounds like you think, as I do, that you can probably set to “Baja” and then to 2H, and get something pretty close to the missing “Sport” mode.

Then again, I could speculate about a donkey that is not domesticated, but if I did that, then I would just be making a wild-ass guess.
I can't think of a reason not to leave in 4A (perhaps fuel efficiency). power distributed where it is needed.

Sponsored

Natai

Badlands
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Sentra, Mercedes GLC
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

What I know is more theoretical, as I don't have my Bronco yet, but it's based on what Ford has stated/printed specifically about the modes on the Bronco.

The two charts referenced in the OP were forum conjecture based on the Raptor (truck), so other than what modes are available on what trims, I wouldn't depend on them.

Keep it out of 4H/4L on pavement unless you want to invite problems. 4A is essentially designed to switch from 2H to 4H on an as-needed basis to maintain traction. I'd have to check, but I think Sport actually defaults to 4A if available, so 4A should be fine on dry pavement.

Badlands gets all the modes except for Sport. It gets Rock Crawl instead.

Baja gets you enhanced shift points that might be similar to Sport, but it's traction control is not intended for pavement. And as OP mentioned you'd have to switch to 2H. Probably similar to Sport, but it's not as simple as one is 4H and one is 2H. The fact that Baja disables 4A while Sport defaults to 4A is another indication there are probably other differences that aren't immediately apparent.

Boston182

First Edition
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Harley Davidson Sportster
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I can confirm that you can shift to 2H in Baja mode (FE owner). Traction control is disabled, and shift points increase to 5000 rpm, may be some changes in steering performance also.
My hero. I just took delivery of mine and wanted to know this for when break-in is done.

Last edited:

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Browsing through the PDF of the 2021 manual, I find this notice on page 183…

Do not use four-wheel drive high or four-wheel drive low mode on dry, hard surfaced roads. Doing so can produce excessive noise, increase tire wear and can damage drive components. Four-wheel drive high or four-wheel drive low mode is only for use on consistently slippery or loose surfaces. Use of four-wheel drive low mode on these surfaces could produce some noise, such as occasional clunks, but should not damage drive components.

I've never owned a 4×4 vehicle, before, but I am aware of some physics, where in a simple 4×4 system, both front and rear wheels would try to turn at the same speed, which would cause problems is the vehicle is turning under conditions of good traction. I take it that this is the issue that is relevant to this warning, that in the 4H and 4L modes, the drive train would not be smart enough to allow for the different axles to turn at different speeds. Do I have this right?

What about the 4A mode? This warning does not seem to mention it. Is it OK to run in 4A mode on dry, non-slippery, hard-surfaced roads? Is 4A smart enough to account for the need of the axles to turn at different speeds?

——

As to G.O.A.T. modes. I've heard that there were a total of eight different modes, but no one Bronco has more than seven, and wondered which mode exists that I wouldn't get on the Badlands that I've ordered.

I've come across this pair of charts that seems to answer the question.

Of course, mine will be a 2022, so some things may be different than what is described in the 2021 manual.

Ford Bronco Use of 4×4 modes on dry, non-slippery surfaces, and somewhat related questions about G.O.A.T. modes… 242084755_1892733814245221_1584061427630801350_n

So, apparently the one mode that I won't have on my Badlands would be the “Sport” mode, if this chart is to be believed.

I don't know how accurately or completely the lower chart conveys the differences between these modes, but based on it, it appears that the “Sport” mode, which the Badlands does not have, differs from the “Baja” mode, which it does have, only in that the latter uses the 4H setting, while the former uses 2H or 4A.

So, if I selected “Baja” mode on a Badlands, and then selected 2H or 4A, would I then have the equivalent of the missing “Sport” mode?

I maty, while writing this, have found part of my answer. The description of “Baja” mode on page 243 says, “Four-wheel drive high is the default four-wheel drive mode. Four-wheel drive auto is not selectable in baja mode. Nothing about whether 2H can be selected in this mode. I do note that the description of “Baja” mode also includes the statement, “Do not use this mode on dry, hard pavement. This could produce some vibration, driveline bind up, and potential excessive tire and vehicle wear depending on the four-wheel drive mode selection.”, which is consistent with the aforementioned warning associated with the 4H and 4L modes.

I guess there's a lot that I won't really get the chance to learn about this stuff until my Bronco actually arrives.
Lots to read up on.

First off, understanding your general settings:

https://www.blueovaltrucks.com/tech-articles/understanding-the-4wd-in-your-ford/

plus this excellent thread has more info you should understand.

Yes, there is reading and learning.

https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/how-awd-works-includes-fords-4a-system.13882/

72BroncoSand

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
72 Bronco, 77 f-150, Jetta Tdi, 1ton
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

tracythemighty

Base
First Name