Sponsored

Using 2H/4A/4H in Snow-Different Scenarios?

jkburg

First Edition
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura 2020/2022 ILX, 2017 RDX
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
So pardon me for being ignorant (or just dumb). So first 4 x 4 (always had rear, front or AWD). I bow my self for ultimate shaming a la Game of Thrones style, proceed. What is the typical use for 2H vs 4H vs 4A in snow when regular road driving? Couple of Scenarios (highway, or regular suburb roads):
1) Just started snowing and some is sticking.
2) Been snowing a bunch, a good couple of inches (that's what she....oh you know the drill) on the road.
3) Snowed previously, had been plowed but sill may be patchy or icy.

Any other settings or things to keep in mind driving this in the winter here in WI?
Sponsored

JohnnyBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
X4
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

So pardon me for being ignorant (or just dumb). So first 4 x 4 (always had rear, front or AWD). I bow my self for ultimate shaming a la Game of Thrones style, proceed. What is the typical use for 2H vs 4H vs 4A in snow when regular road driving? Couple of Scenarios (highway, or regular suburb roads):
2) Been snowing a bunch, a good couple of inches (that's what she....oh you know the drill) on the road.

Any other settings or things to keep in mind driving this in the winter here in WI?
2H reserved for known dry pavement above 37 degrees (BMW built-in warning for freezing road surface. Land Rover is at 35 if I recall - and Ford has NO warning)

4A Beginning snow AND/OR RAIN - also plenty good in slush - the shift in an out is so not noticeable but the sticking to the road is phenomenal so far

4H when you are starting out in a blizzard and pretty certain no roads are dry, although remaining in 4H for a limited amount of dry pavement wont break anything other than add a smidgen to premature front tire wear

In your scenarios:
1) 4A
2), 3) 4H

iwantabasebronco

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gmc
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Great question.
Do not take me answer as advice...just how my thought process works here.

First thought- when in doubt: 4H

Scenario 1 Highway: 4A - It will sense slip and engage when needed, but be in 2wd when not slipping
Scenario 2 Highway: 4H - Assuming traffic is slower in general (50mph tops). I'd want to eliminate as much possibility of my rear end slipping out as possible...this is how donuts are made :)
Scenario 3 Highway (Assuming plowed and dry): 2H - I'd prefer to stay in 2wd whenever I'm on dry pavement or at highway speeds. It's easier on the drivetrain (or used to be, maybe i'm an old soul and we don't have to worry about it anymore). Just don't make any sudden moves when on ice

HAving driven a RWD, you probably already know this:
Scenarios 1,2, and 3 at neighborhood speeds not around traffic and not on the highway: 2H- This is a great chance to learn what it feels like to have your rear end slip out and how to correct it, incase it happens where it matters (highway, high traffic, etc.) I think you will be pleasantly surprised by how a rig like the bronco will do in 2wd through the snow.
Also play around at slow speeds with the 4A and learn how much slip it needs to engage all four and how quickly they engage.

I've always had the retroactive mentality of not using 4-anything until I absolutely need it, except when there's a lot of fresh snow on the ground, then I have a more proactive approach with it.

Some people don't like 4A just because they'd rather know for certain if theyre using four or two wheels, but that's just driving preference

Last edited:

Sponsored

iwantabasebronco

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gmc
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

2H reserved for known dry pavement above 37 degrees (BMW built-in warning for freezing road surface. Land Rover is at 35 if I recall - and Ford has NO warning)

4A Beginning snow AND/OR RAIN - also plenty good in slush - the shift in an out is so not noticeable but the sticking to the road is phenomenal so far

4H when you are starting out in a blizzard and pretty certain no roads are dry, although remaining in 4H for a limited amount of dry pavement wont break anything other than add a smidgen to premature front tire wear

In your scenarios:
1) 4A
2), 3) 4H

In your scenarios:
1) 4A
2), 3) 4H
I think 2H would be fine at any temp so long as the roads are dry. Also a well groomed snowy road would be fine in 2H, just don't get the tail end out

iwantabasebronco

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gmc
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I'll also add that people drive RWD vehicles in snow all the time and as long they don't do any jerky acceleration or make twitchy turns they are fine.

thatspecialbeat

Black Diamond
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subies
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I currently drive Subarus that have awesome AWD systems and I used to drive a 2wd Cherokee. I do a decent amount of mountain snow driving. Honestly, 2wd is usually plenty unless there is enough coverage or you are going up a hill.

I didn't include it on my build because I assumed it would be computer/chip heavy and I figured it isn't worth it to risk a commodity issue. So this would be my only reason not to get it.

The only time I will miss 4A when it rains. In CA, the roads are horrible and it doesn't rain much so we get lots of extra cracking/potholes and lots of oil comes up. The AWD lets you accelerate like it is dry and even. Nice to have the confidence you aren't going to spin the tires, especially accelerating on turns.

So if you have it, I agree with @JohnnyBronco , probably just keep in in 4A if there is water or a little snow on the ground. I don't think you have to worry about wearing anything out or causing any problems.

Ramble_Offroad

Badlands
First Name
Nels
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 2D JK on 35’s
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

When in doubt in winter on road 4A. That’s exactly that this mode is for. It behaves like 2H until slip is detected and then transfers power / grip to the front.

2H dry anything general driving.
4H off payment only, requires loose surface
4L same as 4H but off-road trial slow needs only.

Sponsored

Longbow

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Blue Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

This one is pretty easy. 4A if the road is not totally white, 4H when you cant see the asphalt.

ColoradoGuy

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 4DR Badlands and a couple of Acuras
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My plan.... use that cool GOAT mode dial, turn it clockwise until it reaches "Slippery".

This mode does put it in 4A, by the way.

HorizonHunter

Badlands
First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'd think 4A for scenarios 1 and 3. For the possibility of slip but mostly easy. Kicks in when you need it. Doesn't when you don't.

Scenario 2 is trickier in my mind. First one out in the morning making fresh tracks in deep snow, 4H. On for peace of mind. Otherwise 4A and let it kick in when it wants to.

I've had similar questions about the GOAT mode for snow. Trying to figure out if it's geared more towards deep snow trailblazing or just slippery icy road conditions.

zombie

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands (7spd) 2022 Mustang GT PP
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I drove a mustang for 9 years in Canadian winters without issue, I'm not planning to use 4wd unless there's a blizzard :p

4x4 doesn't make the vehicle stop or steer any better, if it will move in 2H, leave it there is my plan.
Sponsored