Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Is anyone using a motor oil additive? My auto shop is recommending BG MOA. It gets good reviews for start/stop engines and turbochargers. It’s about $20 per oil change but carries a warranty.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Climber_Diver

Climber_Diver

Big Bend
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Not sure what the purpose of oil additives is, however the owners manual recommends against using them
That’s interesting. I didn’t think to check the owners manual. I’m told that the additive reduces friction beyond what the oil provides and acts similar to a synthetic.

OP
OP
Climber_Diver

Climber_Diver

Big Bend
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Sponsored

BOT_ROCKET

Badlands
First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Fusion Sport, 90 Fox 5.0 Lx Hatch, 99 Honda
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Group 4 synthetic oil only like Penzoil Platinum or other top tier full synthetic made from natural gas. That type of oil has less evaporation which is what mucks up the valves, and is why catch cans exist.

As long as you change your oil before the recommended interval, use high quality oil, and a high quality filter (I like Motorcraft and Purolator) you will not benefit at all from any additives.

OP
OP
Climber_Diver

Climber_Diver

Big Bend
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Group 4 synthetic oil only like Penzoil Platinum or other top tier full synthetic made from natural gas. That type of oil has less evaporation which is what mucks up the valves, and is why catch cans exist.

As long as you change your oil before the recommended interval, use high quality oil, and a high quality filter (I like Motorcraft and Purolator) you will not benefit at all from any additives.
Good to know. No need to add the expense.

Werkedperformance

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Badlands 4dr 7MT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I use Liqui Moly Moly Gen.

Moly gen is their top tier oil with their most technology. It has its own proprietary addatives package and does not need any additional, confirmed directly with Liqui Moly.

They sell Ceratec a highly reguarded addative and make MOS2 addatives and more they advise AGAINST any additional product with molygen, while they push it with other "older" oils they also produce.....

I've had good experience with their oils, and they come from a long motorsports and R&D history.

Also its UV reactive, so if anything ever leaks you can track the trails..... (theres a video on my instagram reels of the oil glowing under UV)

BOT_ROCKET

Badlands
First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Fusion Sport, 90 Fox 5.0 Lx Hatch, 99 Honda
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I use Liqui Moly Moly Gen.

Moly gen is their top tier oil with their most technology. It has its own proprietary addatives package and does not need any additional, confirmed directly with Liqui Moly.

They sell Ceratec a highly reguarded addative and make MOS2 addatives and more they advise AGAINST any additional product with molygen, while they push it with other "older" oils they also produce.....

I've had good experience with their oils, and they come from a long motorsports and R&D history.

Also its UV reactive, so if anything ever leaks you can track the trails..... (theres a video on my instagram reels of the oil glowing under UV)
Everyone uses a proprietary additives package, and none of them need any additional. If you still have flat tappet lifters and used ultra economy gas station oil, then yeah, you might benefit from some additives, but unless you send in a sample that shows you are lacking in something specific, don't use additives. Top tier oil companies don't gain anything from leaving anything out of their premium oils, so it doesn't make sense that they would handicap their own oil just so you have to buy someone else's additives.

rhymeswithbronco

Black Diamond
First Name
Stewart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1966 F-100
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I've used Rislone and MMO (I'm old school) with Royal Purple HPS in my '65 Lincoln motor and they do a great job of keeping the valve train quiet, but that's a very different animal than the 2.3. I wouldn't bother unless you're really skimping on the oil change itself.

Sponsored

Scott1911

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 Door BadSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Modern oils use some base oil with an assortment of additives to perform to the spec. You have no way of knowing if your proposed additive will help or react with the additive package in your chosen oil.

wrbix

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
LR Def90, F250 7.3, Caterham 7, LR Series III, etc
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The only one I would consider is Camguard…..decades of positive experience in the General Aviation community…,they now have an automotive product. It’s major advantage and touted property is to keep a film of protection on cam lobes during periods of inactivity.
Ive started using it in my vintage motorbikes that all have flat nonrollered push rods…..entirely different animals.
Believe other oil additives that tout increased lubricity, etc are snake oils.

wrbix

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
LR Def90, F250 7.3, Caterham 7, LR Series III, etc
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Is anyone using a motor oil additive? My auto shop is recommending BG MOA. It gets good reviews for start/stop engines and turbochargers. It’s about $20 per oil change but carries a warranty.
Warranty?…….wonder how that works? Engine fails, you recoup the cost of a bottle of additive?

bravely

Badlands
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
3490 s leonard rd, new palestine in 46163
Vehicle(s)
1973 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Not sure what the purpose of oil additives is, however the owners manual recommends against using them
I don't know much about newer motors, but my mechanic says oil is used for more than just basic lubrication. I intend to use mobil1 only. I'd be nervous about any additives.
Sponsored