Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler, Ram Rebel. Previously 2 wranglers and 4 Broncos
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Hopefully this is the one that they stick with for a long time. I know around here they’ve tried for years to replace the old “Iron Duke” LLV that’s been in use since ‘87. Ford tried, Chrysler tried and currently they are running Mini Sprinters. The Duke has been the most reliable and budget friendly. Hell, Jasper even reopened a factory to reman motors and trans for them a few years back. Hope the Cheeseheads can make these things for another 30+ years.
Sponsored

JaxGtc

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1975 EB Sport; 2021 Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I thought for sure the Transit would win that bid.

I was under the impression it was based off a transit cargo van. I figured that alone would make it an easy winner due to the proven production capabilities.
I would like to see what the unit costs on that thing will be. I suspect it will be a lot higher than a transit.

OP
OP
ZackDanger

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Excellent point.

Out where I am we have at least one post office in every town and even though we’re rural, towns are close enough together that the local delivery mail trucks (that these are replacing) are already in and near their destination neighborhoods at the start of the day. I’m not sure any of the trucks local to me have ever been over 40mph for more than a couple minutes.

I’ve never seen an LLV on the highways here... well, only when they’re on the back of a tow truck.

BPMANAZ

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Outback
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Even with all the technology in this ugly-a$$ vehicle (whick looks like it belongs in Bikini Bottom with Mrs. Puff at the wheel), my mailman will still run over the curb, lose my packages and deliver mail to me that's actually for someone else.

So, all they've accomplished here is buying the ugliest vehicle on the planet to help my mailman screw up delivering whatever is loaded into it more efficiently.

Bravo!!!!

Sponsored

Heffe66413

Outer Banks
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

If any of y’all are vehicle dorks like me, you may have been following this competition.

USPS just announced they’re going with Oshkosh Defense for the NGDV.

https://jalopnik.com/this-is-the-next-usps-mail-truck-1846339591

It’s so ugly, you know it must do the job well.

axnyyp1nvvmsbnyo5o5z.png

They will be delivered with a mix of ICE and electric powertrains that can be upgraded over their life... and aside from all the extra safety features, they finally have AC!

kbltkjcdekhrncuofhqu.jpg
vhuwtypm3osmbxktepx4.png

Link to the press release: https://about.usps.com/newsroom/nat...nization-of-postal-delivery-vehicle-fleet.htm
Am I correct that if you do the math and use the high production of 165000 over 10 years that that is one very expensive vehicle - yep our government at work. On the other hand - they could have bought 165000. Broncos at 50000 each and saved a buttload.

OP
OP
ZackDanger

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Am I correct that if you do the math and use the high production of 165000 over 10 years that that is one very expensive vehicle - yep our government at work. On the other hand - they could have bought 165000. Broncos at 50000 each and saved a buttload.
I'm not sure I follow... or if we have enough info.

Press release states:

Under the contract’s initial $482 million investment, Oshkosh Defense will finalize the production design of the Next Generation Delivery Vehicle (NGDV) — a purpose-built, right-hand-drive vehicle for mail and package delivery — and will assemble 50,000 to 165,000 of them over 10 years.
Assuming the most expensive option, the "initial" $482 Million for 50,000 vehicles works out to about $9500 a vehicle.

Without more info, I'm also assuming that the $482 Million includes other associated expenses... spare parts, infrastructure changes/upgrades... and even investments (grants) for the manufacturing side of the equation.

Seems pretty cheap to me.

*shrug*

Unless my math is off.

Sponsored

Nellman

Badlands
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Toyota Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Reminds me of Daffy or Donald Duck. Donald Duck has the colors right to be put on the side of the truck.
Ford Bronco USPS announces the LLV replacement images

SupremoSombrero

Big Bend
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Mustang Shelby GT500
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

LOVE IT! So many vehicles are ordinary. This is funky and extraordinary. It will be fun seeing these little guys motoring around our neighborhoods.

Funky and fun; like London’s taxis.

Heffe66413

Outer Banks
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I'm not sure I follow... or if we have enough info.

Press release states:

Assuming the most expensive option, the "initial" $482 Million for 50,000 vehicles works out to about $9500 a vehicle.

Without more info, I'm also assuming that the $482 Million includes other associated expenses... spare parts, infrastructure changes/upgrades... and even investments (grants) for the manufacturing side of the equation.

Seems pretty cheap to me.

*shrug*

Unless my math is off.
That is why I failed math! Lol

drive21bronco

Black Diamond
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Black Diamond