Sponsored

UTAH Need's Everyone Help To Save Some Land.

Sewie

Badlands
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
74 Bronco, 22 Bronco BL Sas 4D
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The BLM site is very short on info and is focused only on the land swap, not the intended uses by Washington County/City.

Wasn't aware of this issue previously but did some reading on the UPLA and BRC sites. The biggest issues I see are:
  • Inequitable value of land swap (89 acres for 1050 acres). Is the BLM land being valued accurately taking into account recreation revenue? Are there other BLM parcels that could be swapped or other methods for purchasing the reserve parcel?
  • Annexation by City of Washington. THIS IS THE DEVELOPMENT CONCERN! Not sure if this is entirely tied to the land swap though. The one map I saw shows a much larger area than the just the swapped area.
Like someone else said, once the govt. gets going its near impossible to stop. So even if the swap goes through, doesn't mean OHV can't have a say in how the land is used by the County. That's what UPLA is negotiating. I recommend spending a few minutes reading through their posts on the matter. https://utahpla.com/

Also BlueRibbonCoalition has a letter generator. Only takes a minute to put in your info and send.

https://www.sharetrails.org/stop-the-sale-of-sand-mountain/#/104/
Sponsored

Jdc

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

That land is habitat for endangered tortoises,
HA, the desert F N tortoise strikes again! I remember the safety briefs in the Marines when we were out in 29 Palms, "Don't TOUCH THE F N Tortoises!". Those things would cause whole operations to stop for a bit until they were out of the way.

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

One weird thing that stands out is the Fed is giving up mineral rights and not receiving them on the exchanged parcel.
The area they are looking to exchange is largely privately owned (or was last I checked). But, because it is in (or near) a designated conservation area, the owners can't really do anything with it. Part of this exchange will involve the water district buying the land from those private owners and looping it in with the rest of the county/state/federally own land in conservation area.

So, presumably the mineral rights for those areas the BLM is looking to obtain would depend on the negotiations with the current land owners.

Last edited:

PrepVet

Big Bend
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch.
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
HA, the desert F N tortoise strikes again! I remember the safety briefs in the Marines when we were out in 29 Palms, "Don't TOUCH THE F N Tortoises!". Those things would cause whole operations to stop for a bit until they were out of the way.
Same dealio with the Army. Simple ruck marches or motor movements would be completely f'ed with them. "SP time? F#$% you!" Says CSM Turtle.

Reactions: Jdc

Sponsored

jon

Base
First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Rubicon, 1989 Ford Bronco Eddie Bauer
Your Bronco Model
Base