Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Is there a definitive list of valid, driveable MIC roof configurations for the 4 door MIC? I've searched the forums but didn't find anything but speculative posts from 2020. I saw a post of a guy that took off just the rear lid and transported a refrigerator in the back sticking out.

From what I understand are the only drivable 4 door roof configurations: 2 front row panels removed or everything removed?

Thanks
Sponsored

Theherofails

Badlands
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 e-tron Sportback, 2021 Bronco Badlands Sas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
This is what the manual says under 'Removable Hard Top Precautions'

As long as you go front to back, you're ok. Don't go back to front.

Don't EVER go back to front.

The middle latches to the back. The front latches to the middle.

I've driven it with one front, both fronts, and both fronts and middle removed with zero issue.

Ford Bronco Valid 4-door MIC Roof Configurations Screenshot_20211109-101253_Chrome

Rkgzx9leftcoast

Base
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

back portion bolted down....front panels latch to it, and the window frame....... should get you the recommended removal and driving sequence.....

Imonamoose

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Moose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Truck
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
This is what the manual says under 'Removable Hard Top Precautions'

As long as you go front to back, you're ok. Don't go back to front.

Don't EVER go back to front.

The middle latches to the back. The front latches to the middle.

I've driven it with one front, both fronts, and both fronts and middle removed with zero issue.

Ford Bronco Valid 4-door MIC Roof Configurations Screenshot_20211109-101253_Chrome
This part of the owners manual was unclear to me when I read it.

I read this to say that the only "wrong" configuration was to only have center panel removed. Inferring all other roof panel configurations were acceptable.

I have driven at highway speed with two front panels off only and with both front/middle pannel off with no issues. I have on two occasions found the top rear clam shell bolts to have backed out slightly after significant windy or bumpy driving. But nothing that would indicate damage or stress on the roof.

The rear clamshell does act slightly as a wing at highway speed but the rubber stop on the top of the crossmember appears to be designed for that exact reason. I also have had concern about the wind blowing against the inside of the back window hatch but have had zero issues with it so far.

I have not tried leaving on the front two panels and removing the middle/back panel but believe that would be no issue.

I wonder what other people are finding with MIC configurations on their vehicles.

Theherofails

Badlands
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
This part of the owners manual was unclear to me when I read it.

I read this to say that the only "wrong" configuration was to only have center panel removed. Inferring all other roof panel configurations were acceptable.

I have driven at highway speed with two front panels off only and with both front/middle pannel off with no issues. I have on two occasions found the top rear clam shell bolts to have backed out slightly after significant windy or bumpy driving. But nothing that would indicate damage or stress on the roof.

The rear clamshell does act slightly as a wing at highway speed but the rubber stop on the top of the crossmember appears to be designed for that exact reason. I also have had concern about the wind blowing against the inside of the back window hatch but have had zero issues with it so far.

I have not tried leaving on the front two panels and removing the middle/back panel but believe that would be no issue.

I wonder what other people are finding with MIC configurations on their vehicles.
I had zero issues at highway speeds with just the clamshell on the many times I've done it. Its a good top despite all the hate. Not great by ANY means, but good.

Sponsored

Imonamoose

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Moose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Truck
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I had zero issues at highway speeds with just the clamshell on the many times I've done it. Its a good top despite all the hate. Not great by ANY means, but good.
Thanks for sharing your experience. I agree with you, good but not great.

Did you ever find the clamshell to be bouncing around right in the middle? I have been experimenting with rubber bump stops to see if I could elevate some of that movement but haven't found any solutions that I can see working long term.

Theherofails

Badlands
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Thanks for sharing your experience. I agree with you, good but not great.

Did you ever find the clamshell to be bouncing around right in the middle? I have been experimenting with rubber bump stops to see if I could elevate some of that movement but haven't found any solutions that I can see working long term.
I have not but let me take a look.. I 3D print random things for forum members so if I think it’s doable, I can print a custom bumper for ya out of TPU (medium hardness rubber blend). It’s temp stable and abrasion resistant. Would just need a convenient mounting method.. double sided installers tape maybe?

If you’re interested at any point just message me. Im not a business, it’s just a hobby.

Imonamoose

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Moose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Truck
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Brother, that is rad as hell. Thank you!

my sister is getting married Saturday but i'm going to grab some pics and measurements this week (time allowing) and will definitely take you up on that. I got shipping, labor, and parts paid if you would be so kind.

I'm wondering of any others reading this thread have experience or can corroborate what I am talking about with the back shell bouncing around over the back C pillar cross bar when at highway speed.
Sponsored