Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 fusion energi
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I've glossed over some of the other posts, but being at work didn't have time to read every posting about the Vegas Off Roadeo. So I'll put down what we experienced and some other info that people have been asking.

First of all the VOR (Vegas Off Roadeo from now on) is NOT a high speed off road coarse. Our instructor said this is the fastest he's ever gone and I hit maybe 20mph in 4H. Most of the time we live in 4L. Apparently the Austin location has a purpose built high speed off road section. The North East location apparently is on public trails so you have to mingle with the public there. The VOR is on private properly so it's just you up there.

They teach you how to off road if you have don't have much experience with off-roading, But they don't have you use the different goat modes very much. They teach you when to use your front diff, or your rear diff, (since you can use the front diff without having the rear diff engaged), using the trail turn assist, how and why and what speed to rock crawl. The educational parts may be boring for those that have some experience. I didn't have much experience and I was wanting the educational parts to just end as I am more of a learn by doing type of person. They has us use the one pedal mode where you drive using only the gas pedal, and not the brake pedal. Basically the when your let off the gas, the bronco breaks, press on the gas and it comes off the brakes and accelerates for you. and how to use set speed in that mode so you can go a set speed to control your decent/ascent. You can set it .5mpg increments. there was a section downhill where we set between 1 and 3 mph to control our decent. it was pretty cool didn't have to keep regulating between the gas and breaks.

As others have posted the VOR is an old boy scout camp. Most of the trails where already there, but some where cut just for the off roadeo. it is mostly rough trails with some minor rock crawling, but not crazy huge boulders.

Mix of different trim levels, mostly 4d, all sasquatch'd.

if your guest is setup to be a driver on registration and they have a valid drivers license submitted when you are there, they can drive at any point.

They stop us on the trail and go over how to off road, some recovery stuff, and tools for recovery, preserving the trails stuff like that. there was lunch and dinner in there as well. We started about 8 and went to about 6:30. about 6 to 7 hours of that was driving. There's Wifi, snacks, water, restrooms etc at the base camp.

I ordered a wildtrack thinking I wouldn't do much rock crawling and I drove a wildtrack at the VOR so I could see how it did vs the Badlands with the rockcrawl mode and the staybar/swaybar disconnect, (people where calling it different things). and the wildtrack did everything the badlands did no issues. Even at the end when the rockcrawl mode was engaged on the badlands, the wildtrack handled it fine. My experience, if you don't plan on doing major rock obstacles and want the sport mode, the wildrack is great. if you are going to be doing a lot of rock crawling the badlands would come in handy. and sport mode is different than baja mode as baja mode softens up the suspension a bit so you can hit the some rough terrain and absorb the bumps better, it also revs engine to a higher rev point before shifting than the sport mode does. Sport = pavement, baja = offroad.

I have some video, but haven't had time to edit any of it, as the wife is not great with the camera, and didn't want to get out of the bronco most of the time. A lot of the video is from her sitting in the driver seat pointing out to the front, so not great angles.

here's one of me at the end. most of the trail was similar with only a couple points with this amount of tipping, but make note of the trail, and the angle of the black bronco ahead of me to get an idea of the terrain. mostly a lot of rocks and bumps in the trail with some points of maneuvering and having the guide um "guide" us through the obstacles. I had the angle-O-meter on the dash and was often at 10-15 degrees of side angle, but to be honest I wasn't paying attention when I was mid obstacle

If you have the option to do a smaller group, do that. if your in a larger group they have to get you through the coarse faster to get it all done in time. The smaller group was able to get more attention with the guide and learnded more.

I'll try to check back through out the day to see if there is any other questions.
Sponsored

Last edited: