Sponsored

broadicustomworks

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Z71, 06 VTX1300, 94 Cobra, 21 BL Bronco 4dr.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The supposed $7k they spent at offroad addiction amounts to $2500 for linex on the outside, about $2k on shocks, tires and installation of such, and around $1500 for fender flares and installation. Not much listed there in terms of supporting mods.

I'd walk in and offer $4k as it sits as long as it runs well but I don't think I'd get very far in negotiations. I might send that offer and see how it goes!
I mean, it's not horrible as far as value...but not 7k, at least around here.
A lot of people keep receipts, add up the sum of their investment and think they can recoup or make good on it.
Truth be told it is very rare to do so unless you:
-Make that initial investment at a great deal
-know how to do most, if not ALL of the work yourself
-find that niche market where what you have invested in is worth more than the sum of it's parts and labor to get it to where it is.
So far on two of my builds that the owners have sold, they both made good-to-great profit. But that is rare.
It's kind of like dumping 40K into a 65 mustang coupe expecting to get 60 or 80k out of it (which one customer wanted to do until I showed them real values, actual sold vehicles, and summed up the total cost to get it to #9 or #10 condition).
Regardless....
with all that said, if you get in it at say, 5 or 6K, drive it for a year, have fun in it, are able to sell it at close to or the same, you really haven't lost anything.
Heck, even if it was 7K and you drove it for a year and sold it for 6, you pretty much drove for a year for an outlay of only $83 per month plus your fuel/maintenance. Still not shabby.

You're definitely on the right track going in and seeing where it goes.

All said and done, for a DD I'd look hard at used 4 runners and Xterras, and even Frontiers.
There's one on the marketplace here with like 80k original miles for 6k. 4wd crew cab, 03 model.

OP
OP
cardinalsfan

cardinalsfan

Badlands
First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Toyota Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Honda Element. /thread
Not a bad idea but I can't find a single one near me with AWD. At least right now. And I need something by the middle of next month to give me time to sell my Tacoma and transfer my title.

Coloradonatives

Badlands
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'69 Chevelle 2020 Chevy Traverse 2009 9-7x Aero
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If you found a nice classic FJ-40 or shoebox Bronco in Oklahoma you could make a profit or at least break even when you go to sell it in Colorado. There is high demand for those vehicles in that area but many have rust damage from the salt used in the winter.
That's pretty sweet. With a little restore work, you could probably make a healthy profit on it in Colorado.
Bronco IIs in Colorado are NOT a money maker- they have little market influence here due to being underpowered, poor engineering, and rust-prone. No-rust 4wds- Tahoe/Yukon/Blazer/Silverados, F150s, Jeeps, and 4wd Toyotas do have a nice resale bump here. and (non-Bronco II) old Broncos! We have shipped nice old no-rust Broncos to Hawaii.

Last edited:

Coloradonatives

Badlands
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If you found a nice classic FJ-40 or shoebox Bronco in Oklahoma you could make a profit or at least break even when you go to sell it in Colorado. There is high demand for those vehicles in that area but many have rust damage from the salt used in the winter.
I am not sure what you are saying (from Texas) about salt-rusted cars in Colorado? The only rusty cars here are brought in from elsewhere.

Sponsored

wvmtneer

Banned
First Edition
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Hey everyone! My wife and I will be moving from OKC to Denver in the next few months. She got a great job up there, I'm working on a few offers this week myself - we're excited to get there and get settled in!

I had waffled on my Bronco - buying a $60k off-roading SUV didn't make a ton of sense here. Not many places to off-road, no overlanding camping spots, etc. So I was going to buy a cool old Scout or Land Cruiser and fix it up, keeping my Tacoma in the meantime.

But moving to Denver, a Bronco makes sense. The problem is my Tacoma no longer makes sense. It's really nice - 2009 SR5 PreRunner TRD Off-Road Access Cab with low miles BUT it's RWD. Which means nearly zero resale value/interest in Denver.

So I'm going to sell it here before we move. But I want to buy something here to take with us so I can commute to work (if needed, lots of remote options) and that I can sell when I get my Bronco (likely 2022 MY).

4WD/AWD doesn't command a premium down here like it does up there so I figure I could drive it for free or maybe even make a profit. And I'm not sure I wanna pay cash for it (would rather save cash as a down payment for a house or for all the stuff we're going to need as a result of moving) or finance it (and risk the credit hit right before applying for a mortgage).

What are good options that would re-sell quickly up there? I don't want another 3 row AWD SUV - We have an MDX. So I want something kind of different/unique. Maybe a Crosstrek with some AT's on it or a 4Runner with a lift or a Land Cruiser. Any thoughts? I know neither of those are unique in Denver but they are here. Would really love something we can take off-road - oh, and I won't buy a Wrangler!
Subaru Forester.

OP
OP
cardinalsfan

cardinalsfan

Badlands
First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Toyota Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Subaru Forester.
That's one I hadn't really considered yet. Why it over a Crosstrek? And there's TONS of different foresters out there - what should I look for OR stay away from? Certain years or engines? I see lots of foresters for sale around here, some pretty cheap too!

ATX_Bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands Sasquatch, Wrangler Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I am not sure what you are saying (from Texas) about salt-rusted cars in Colorado? The only rusty cars here are brought in from elsewhere.
I'm not sure what you are saying either. I've lived in Utah and Colorado, the classics I could afford all had road salt damage.

Apples

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep JLUR, 2004 Lexus GX470
Your Bronco Model
Undecided

Apples

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I'm not sure what you are saying either. I've lived in Utah and Colorado, the classics I could afford all had road salt damage.
Colorado doesn't use salt. At least they don't use it now. They may have in the past and that's why the classic cars are an issue?

Sponsored

Coloradonatives

Badlands
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

That's one I hadn't really considered yet. Why it over a Crosstrek? And there's TONS of different foresters out there - what should I look for OR stay away from? Certain years or engines? I see lots of foresters for sale around here, some pretty cheap too!
Subarus seem to be the Official Car in Colorado... they are everywhere. Foresters are larger, taller. Be very careful with the older Subaru turbos... they can eventually eat the blades and destroy the motor.

Apples

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I test drove a Crosstrek (and a Forester) back in 2012 when I was cross shopping them and the Xterra. I was looking specifically for a manual transmission. The clutch on both felt terrible. Super sloppy and no precision.

The Crosstrek couldn't get out of it's own way. There was a point during the test drive where we were going up a hill and I thought it was just going to peter out on me, even with my ability to downshift.

The Forester was better but not great. I don't know how the bigger engine performed, as the stick only came in the 4 banger.

OP
OP
cardinalsfan

cardinalsfan

Badlands
First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Toyota Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I test drove a Crosstrek (and a Forester) back in 2012 when I was cross shopping them and the Xterra. I was looking specifically for a manual transmission. The clutch on both felt terrible. Super sloppy and no precision.

The Crosstrek couldn't get out of it's own way. There was a point during the test drive where we were going up a hill and I thought it was just going to peter out on me, even with my ability to downshift.

The Forester was better but not great. I don't know how the bigger engine performed, as the stick only came in the 4 banger.
I did drive a Crosstrek here and I was impressed with the space inside and the features BUT I wasn't impressed with the level of power or the CVT. And that was down in OKC, it must be much worse at altitude.

ColoradoGuy

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 4DR Badlands and a couple of Acuras
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You probably already know this by now but your much bigger issue will be finding a home around here. Very low inventory and very high demand. Be ready to make a quick decision and offer if you plan to buy a home.

Good luck and welcome to the area!
Sponsored