First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/A
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Beautiful job, @Jabaen! It looks like a factory-installed option. Looks right at home in the cabin. A great, useful addition. Bravo!
Sponsored

Elevator Man

Badlands
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mercedes GLE, 2021 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I’ve not had that issue. The radio has worked very well with no static. I installed a MXT275 in my son-in-laws Jeep, and we’ve used them on trails and highway without issue. At about 8 miles apart, son-in-law will start to sound a little staticky but, he says I still sound really clear.

Where do you have the radio grounded at? I know a bad ground can cause issues with reception.
I have the negative power wire grounded to the negative battery terminal. Should I have done something different? I'm open to ideas.

Elevator Man

Badlands
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

EveryDayBronco

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Motorcycle
Your Bronco Model
Base
I like this solution, however, the wire hanging down, does it start to bug? It sure seems like there should be a blue tooth connection between the handheld unit and the base unit so it can be completely wireless. These radios are stuck with 1970s technology using that cord.
The wire is to the right, not in view of what's in front of you, and doesn't bug me at all. I also only plug it in when it's being used.

Obstructing and cluttering the console is nightmare imo, I don't know why so many guys put the plug there!

gtabert

Badlands
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 gt350r / '65 f100 / '99 Silverado / '15 VW TDI
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I’m pretty particular (ok, anal) about installing items in my vehicle and want as much of a factory look as possible. Because of that, I spent a lot of time (admittedly too much!) redoing this install so I could get to a point that required minimal modifications. Standard install with the M2M bracket requires notching the back of the glove box, which I didn’t want to do and looked for a cleaner way. After a lot of trial and error, I was finally able to get the radio installed with only the relocation of one wire connector. The steps and pictures below outline what I did to get it installed. Sorry, no video. Several steps have been covered by others so I kind of glossed over those (like removing the center console and running the antenna wire). If there is a step that you have a question on or would like more information, please let me know.

First, I’ll start with the links for all the components I used. Some would be optional (mic holder items) and you could do a different way.

Midland

Mountains2Metal

Archetype Racing

67 Designs

Innovative Products

Penglin

Home Depot

Ok, on to the install!

M2M Bracket.jpg

Stock M2M Radio bracket. The standard install has the radio attached to the bracket with the front of the radio pointed towards the passenger seat. The radio is long and this causes it to be very difficult to attach the mic extension to the front jack as it is right up against the inside of the dash. The back of the radio hangs down which requires notching the glove box to get it to fit. I found that if you mount the radio sideways, you can just get it too fit between the dash rails above the glove box. To do this required some tweaks to the M2M bracket to get the radio in sideways. Here are the tweaks that are needed.

IMG_1851.jpeg

IMG_1852.jpeg

IMG_1855.jpeg

Tweaks I made to the M2M bracket. These changes allowed me to get the radio installed sideways and ports above the rails so mic and antenna can easily be attached.

IMG_1866.jpeg

IMG_1865.jpeg

Attachment of the radio mount to the M2M Bracket. I did drill and add the 2 screws on the sides. With just the 2 screws in the middle, the bracket had a tendency to bend in the middle where the slots are. With the four screws, it was a very solid mount.

IMG_1868.jpeg

IMG_1869.jpeg

Radio snapped into bracket. The bend in the center of the M2M bracket was to get the radio high enough so the antenna cable and Mic cables to clear the top of the metal dash brackets above the glove box. Turning the radio sideways gives good access to the front and back of the radio for connecting the antenna and Mic cables.

IMG_1856.jpeg

IMG_1874.jpeg

The one connector (yellow) that needs to be moved. I just pried it off the metal bracket and zip tied it up to the left. Hard to see in below picture but, the rounded metal edge at the bottom where the yellow connector was attached, has a very tight clearance with the radio when installed. I put some double sided foam tape along here to prevent rattling.

IMG_2001.jpeg

IMG_2007.jpeg

IMG_2062.jpeg

Getting the radio up inside was the most difficult part. It is a tight fit but, with a little patience it will just slide in place on top of the rails. I had the best luck by pushing it up and towards the passenger fender and then sliding back towards center on top of the other rail. I used the mounting screws from M2M but found when I started to tighten them, the U shaped dash rail started to flatten. I just grabbed some ½” nuts and placed them in the channel of the rail. They were the perfect height for a standoff and placed the bracket just above the ‘U’ rail with the mounting screw passing through the center of them.

IMG_2063.jpeg

I utilized Upfitter switch 2 for power (On BRaptor this is a 15 AMP circuit). I connected Upfitter switch 2 to the White/Orange wire that went into the passenger cabin by glove box and connected it to the power feed on the Radio. I connected the radio ground to the bolt on the firewall in passenger footwell as shown above. For the Antenna, I did like others and ran the cable over to the drivers side, through the firewall grommet and back over to the passenger side. The excess antenna cable I coiled up behind the passenger kick panel. I used the M2M Antenna bracket installed on the passenger mirror mount for the Midland MXTA25 antenna.

IMG_2068.jpg

For the remote mic connection, I wanted the jack in the center console but wanted a dust cover on it (to protect when unplugged) along with the ability to unplug the cable from the back of the console if/when I have to remove the center console again. I used a Benglin RJ45 panel mount along with a 3’ Cat6 patch cable to the radio.

IMG_1993.jpeg

IMG_1998.jpeg

IMG_1997.jpeg

IMG_2008.jpeg

IMG_2012.jpeg

It was an easy install with just a 15/16" hole needing to be drilled.

For the mic mount, I utilized parts from Archetype Racing, 67 Designs and Magnetic Mic. This setup worked really well at putting the mic in a good position and not blocking buttons or vents.
IMG_2059.jpeg

IMG_2061.jpeg

Since installing, I’ve been on several trail rides with no issues of rattling or mic falling. Very easy to use while on the trail. Thanks to Mountains2Metal and 67 Designs for some great products that made this install very clean and straightforward to do. The BAM from AR gives 3 mount points instead of the 1 from the factory. Easy to install and now I can mount the mic and have my dash cam (or phone) mounted as well. Please let me know if you have any questions on the install or would like to see additional pictures.
Nice install, Great write up, thanks for sharing.
All in, how much time did this install take?

Sponsored

mcinfantry

Badlands
First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands 2 door
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The wire is to the right, not in view of what's in front of you, and doesn't bug me at all. I also only plug it in when it's being used.

Obstructing and cluttering the console is nightmare imo, I don't know why so many guys put the plug there!
I like mine to the right of the screen and plugged in under the a/c controls. Now, if i was a long haul trucker… roof mounted for the win!

OP
OP
Jabaen

Jabaen

Raptor
First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
53 Ford Tractor, 76 Bronco, 03 Ranger, 20 F250
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Nice install, Great write up, thanks for sharing.
All in, how much time did this install take?
Well, I lost track of the hours it took figuring out the bracket and numerous installs and removals. But, once I had everything ready, I’d say it took about 2 hours to install radio, install jack in center console and run the antenna wire through drivers side and to passenger mirror. Wiring it up took me a little longer after that because I wanted to wire to Upfitter 2 and of course and I can’t just connect the wires together, I had to put weather proof plugs on all the Upfitter wires and extension wires. So, I can easily change which Upfitter switch devices are on by just changing plugs. Made my ditch light install much easier.

EveryDayBronco

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Motorcycle
Your Bronco Model
Base
I like mine to the right of the screen and plugged in under the a/c controls. Now, if i was a long haul trucker… roof mounted for the win!
Your's is installed so obviously you're going to like how you did it.

I'm just pointing out that the plug in the console concept clutters the tray area but if you already have a mess of charging cables what the heck another cable is just more mess.

I keep my console tray empty and don't even like charging cables plugged in there.

I also keep my mic put away in the glove box until I plan to use it.

mcinfantry

Badlands
First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands 2 door
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Your's is installed so obviously you're going to like how you did it.

I'm just pointing out that the plug in the console concept clutters the tray area but if you already have a mess of charging cables what the heck another cable is just more mess.

I keep my console tray empty and don't even like charging cables plugged in there.

I also keep my mic put away in the glove box until I plan to use it.
Agreed
Nothing stays there for me either

edernest

Badlands
First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I’m pretty particular (ok, anal) about installing items in my vehicle and want as much of a factory look as possible. Because of that, I spent a lot of time (admittedly too much!) redoing this install so I could get to a point that required minimal modifications. Standard install with the M2M bracket requires notching the back of the glove box, which I didn’t want to do and looked for a cleaner way. After a lot of trial and error, I was finally able to get the radio installed with only the relocation of one wire connector. The steps and pictures below outline what I did to get it installed. Sorry, no video. Several steps have been covered by others so I kind of glossed over those (like removing the center console and running the antenna wire). If there is a step that you have a question on or would like more information, please let me know.
Thanks for sharing your install. I purchased the MXT575 for my Bronco direct from Midland the day it was released last year in hopes that the M2M bracket would work, but then shied away from it when I heard that it required glove box trimming. Currently have the included bracket zip tied under the glove box which actually works surprisingly well since it keeps the radio out of the way, though I don't consider it my permanent install and will be considering doing what you did.

Ended up still buying and installing the M2M antenna mount, installed on drivers side, and a Midland 32" whip antenna. I tried the ghost antenna because I love the clean look but it seemed to cause a big drop in reception for me, specifically for weather radio which is part of the reason I bought the MXT.

I like the location you chose for the cat6 plug as well as the overhead option I've seen from others. Because it requires drilling I've been hesitant to lock myself into an idea just yet, and currently just run the mic cable directly to the radio. It's a bit of a long stretch for the driver to use like that, so will definitely do some kind of extension, possibly while I'm remounting the radio.

One final note is that I tried and failed to use an adhesive mic mount that I had on hand, mounted just to the right of the radio below the vent. The dash plastic just isn't conducive to semi-permanent adhesives even with proper surface prep, at least not enough to support the weight of the mic that comes with the 575, and it eventually fell off after both of my attempts. I do own a dash rail but mostly installed that for GoPro and possibly phone use, so my next idea is to try this vehicle specific bracket from Proclip along with either the magnet clip or maybe just the standard OEM clip.

Ford Bronco Very Clean Midland MXT575 GMRS Radio Install with Mountains2Metal Bracket and 67 Designs Mic Mount 1681908449366

Sponsored
OP
OP
Jabaen

Jabaen

Raptor
First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Thanks for sharing your install. I purchased the MXT575 for my Bronco direct from Midland the day it was released last year in hopes that the M2M bracket would work, but then shied away from it when I heard that it required glove box trimming. Currently have the included bracket zip tied under the glove box which actually works surprisingly well since it keeps the radio out of the way, though I don't consider it my permanent install and will be considering doing what you did.

Ended up still buying and installing the M2M antenna mount, installed on drivers side, and a Midland 32" whip antenna. I tried the ghost antenna because I love the clean look but it seemed to cause a big drop in reception for me, specifically for weather radio which is part of the reason I bought the MXT.

I like the location you chose for the cat6 plug as well as the overhead option I've seen from others. Because it requires drilling I've been hesitant to lock myself into an idea just yet, and currently just run the mic cable directly to the radio. It's a bit of a long stretch for the driver to use like that, so will definitely do some kind of extension, possibly while I'm remounting the radio.

One final note is that I tried and failed to use an adhesive mic mount that I had on hand, mounted just to the right of the radio below the vent. The dash plastic just isn't conducive to semi-permanent adhesives even with proper surface prep, at least not enough to support the weight of the mic that comes with the 575, and it eventually fell off after both of my attempts. I do own a dash rail but mostly installed that for GoPro and possibly phone use, so my next idea is to try this vehicle specific bracket from Proclip along with either the magnet clip or maybe just the standard OEM clip.

Ford Bronco Very Clean Midland MXT575 GMRS Radio Install with Mountains2Metal Bracket and 67 Designs Mic Mount 1681908449366
I’ve installed a few of these radios in other vehicles and always had an issue with the Mic mount using the OEM Or other clip. Never had an adhesive mount work either. Would go off reading and inevitably, the mic would bounce of even the OEM clip. Tried some other magnetic mounts but they weren’t strong enough and mic would fall off. Once I found the Magnetic Mic mount I listed above, it was a game changer and used it in other vehicles. Mic stays put no matter how rough the ride! It is a strong magnet though and does require a solid mount surface. In my Jeep I screwed it into the front of the plastic dash panel but, after a little while, the screws pulled out with use. I had to take the dash panel off and put large washers and nuts behind for the screws. Didn’t have anymore problems after that. Sorry, long way to get to answering your question above on the pro clip, I’ve not seen them before and don’t know how sturdy it is. Would be my only concern with it and using the Magnetic Mic mount. That is why I went with the 67 Designs arm and mount. Very solid and it does not move. I also wanted multiple items on the dash mount which is why I went with the ArcheType Racing BAM mount to replace the factory mount. Where the factory had 1 mount the AR mount has 3 mounts so I can do the Mic, phone and Dashcam eventually.

For the extension mounting location, I was hesitant at first to drill in the console so I got from Amazon a short Ethernet extension cable and plugged it into the radio and just ran it down to the console and laid it there. Then plugged the mic into it and used it for awhile to be sure that is where I wanted it. Years ago, I had a Jeep with CB mounted in overhead and the mic cable bouncing around in my peripheral vision really bugged me. Everyone has their preference, which is great, but that is why I went with something lower on the dash, within easy reach but out of sight. (Cable).

Doing it again, I might consider more mounting the remote mic jack in the plastic trim piece above the front of the center console. This would face the jack down and you wouldn’t see it. You have to remove this trim piece first before your can take out the center console so, mounting here would mean not removing the center console. (Although once I removed it, installed the jack and reinstalled, it wasn’t too bad a process)

edernest

Badlands
First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I’ve installed a few of these radios in other vehicles and always had an issue with the Mic mount using the OEM Or other clip. Never had an adhesive mount work either. Would go off reading and inevitably, the mic would bounce of even the OEM clip. Tried some other magnetic mounts but they weren’t strong enough and mic would fall off. Once I found the Magnetic Mic mount I listed above, it was a game changer and used it in other vehicles. Mic stays put no matter how rough the ride! It is a strong magnet though and does require a solid mount surface. In my Jeep I screwed it into the front of the plastic dash panel but, after a little while, the screws pulled out with use. I had to take the dash panel off and put large washers and nuts behind for the screws. Didn’t have anymore problems after that. Sorry, long way to get to answering your question above on the pro clip, I’ve not seen them before and don’t know how sturdy it is. Would be my only concern with it and using the Magnetic Mic mount. That is why I went with the 67 Designs arm and mount. Very solid and it does not move. I also wanted multiple items on the dash mount which is why I went with the ArcheType Racing BAM mount to replace the factory mount. Where the factory had 1 mount the AR mount has 3 mounts so I can do the Mic, phone and Dashcam eventually.

For the extension mounting location, I was hesitant at first to drill in the console so I got from Amazon a short Ethernet extension cable and plugged it into the radio and just ran it down to the console and laid it there. Then plugged the mic into it and used it for awhile to be sure that is where I wanted it. Years ago, I had a Jeep with CB mounted in overhead and the mic cable bouncing around in my peripheral vision really bugged me. Everyone has their preference, which is great, but that is why I went with something lower on the dash, within easy reach but out of sight. (Cable).

Doing it again, I might consider more mounting the remote mic jack in the plastic trim piece above the front of the center console. This would face the jack down and you wouldn’t see it. You have to remove this trim piece first before your can take out the center console so, mounting here would mean not removing the center console. (Although once I removed it, installed the jack and reinstalled, it wasn’t too bad a process)
Well I guess you can say you've done your share of trial an error on mic placement. Glad you found something that worked for you, I honestly think there's no right answer and it comes down to personal taste. I had talked myself out of the idea of doing anything permanent on the dash like screw holes, and it sounds like even that wasn't enough in your case.

I ended up ordering the proclip mount last week and it arrived today. I've purchased from them in the past so I knew what I was getting into, and the design and stability of this mount didn't dissapoint. The mount itself just provides a flat surface, so I also picked up the large size universal mic holder mount. Installation took only a few minutes and requires no drilling on the vehicle.

Now that I've finally settled on where I will keep my mic I need to decide on how to best extend the cable to reach the driver comfortably. I like your idea of using the small panel directly above the console; I think I've seen other do the same.

Ford Bronco Very Clean Midland MXT575 GMRS Radio Install with Mountains2Metal Bracket and 67 Designs Mic Mount IMG_6758
Ford Bronco Very Clean Midland MXT575 GMRS Radio Install with Mountains2Metal Bracket and 67 Designs Mic Mount IMG_6759

OP
OP
Jabaen

Jabaen

Raptor
First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Well I guess you can say you've done your share of trial an error on mic placement. Glad you found something that worked for you, I honestly think there's no right answer and it comes down to personal taste. I had talked myself out of the idea of doing anything permanent on the dash like screw holes, and it sounds like even that wasn't enough in your case.

I ended up ordering the proclip mount last week and it arrived today. I've purchased from them in the past so I knew what I was getting into, and the design and stability of this mount didn't dissapoint. The mount itself just provides a flat surface, so I also picked up the large size universal mic holder mount. Installation took only a few minutes and requires no drilling on the vehicle.

Now that I've finally settled on where I will keep my mic I need to decide on how to best extend the cable to reach the driver comfortably. I like your idea of using the small panel directly above the console; I think I've seen other do the same.

Ford Bronco Very Clean Midland MXT575 GMRS Radio Install with Mountains2Metal Bracket and 67 Designs Mic Mount IMG_6759
That Pro Clip does look nice and puts the Mic in a good spot. If it just clips on and no screws, that is a very good option and definitely something I’d look at if I want to use my top rail for something else. With the Mic on the passenger side, I did see online a short Ethernet extension that had a small female jack on the end with double sided tape. You could tuck that up under the dash just left of the bottom of the glove box. I’ll see if I can find it again and will post the link just as an option.

Overall great install! I use my radio often and it is so great to have installed in the Bronco!

Elevator Man

Badlands
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I used the Pro Clip and the magnetic mic. For the cable end, I ran an Ethernet extension and connector so it plugs in below and to the side of the passenger temp control.
20230424_175558.jpg
20230424_175545.jpg
20230424_175518.jpg
20230424_175503.jpg

edernest

Badlands
First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I utilized Upfitter switch 2 for power (On BRaptor this is a 15 AMP circuit). I connected Upfitter switch 2 to the White/Orange wire that went into the passenger cabin by glove box and connected it to the power feed on the Radio. I connected the radio ground to the bolt on the firewall in passenger footwell as shown above.
@Jabaen Have you found any issues using the aux switch for power? I noticed that sometimes when I start my vehicle the MXT575 starts blasting static noise at me on every GMRS channel, almost like the squelch is totally disabled. If I power down the radio via aux switch and wait a few minutes before turning it back on, I can usually get it to behave normally. I contacted Midland about it and got this response from their engineers:

"The momentarily low voltage state of the battery or a loose power connection may be causing this. This radio should be wired directly to the battery, if it isn’t. If it is, make sure your connections are secure. It also may be an indication that the starting power of the vehicle battery is getting weak."

So I guess I'm planning on moving the radio to direct battery power to see if this resolves the issue. I'm not sure if I run the risk of potentially draining the battery or if the radio has auto shutdown though, have to look into that next.
Sponsored