Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 JK, 2000 Ram 2500, 1993 FZJ80, 1994 FZJ80
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If this happens I typically just go faster or slower on any vehicle. All tires and roads are different and yeah sometimes vibrations happen at certain speeds on certain roads. Having a tire tech take it out on a road test would help but is it really worth the bother?

I guess I am use to driving trucks and don't notice these things or they just don't bother me.
Sponsored

cyberfalco

Badlands
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If you feel it is severe, then the tires need to be dismounted and mounted and balanced by someone who really knows what they are doing.

If there is too much weight in one spot, they have to be smart enough to spin the tire on the wheel to help distribute the weight better. Few techs do this as they get paid commission per job and want to get as much done as possible.

xusarmy

Outer Banks
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Hoping someone truly OCD (or with in-depth mechanical knowledge) see's this post as the vibration I am experiencing is not enough for the average non-car obsessed person to notice, but certainly is not behavior the vehicle was exhibiting previously.

anywhere from 1-60mph the steering wheel translates absolutely no vibration to my hands. steady as a rock. Could perform surgery on it.

however, I have noticed recently that at 65mph and faster, there is a very slight vibration (think original PlayStation rumble packs). Normally I would immediately think about wheel balance.. however, this vibration is intermittent. Perfect for 3 seconds, vibration that waxes and wanes for a few seconds. the perfect again..etc

For good measure I rotated my tires just to try to rule anything out that I easily could. Still happening just the same.

Any ideas?
This happens to me too, but only because I dont like to stay in my lane ;-) LOL!!

Jimmiee

Badlands
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I would go get your tires balanced. When I installed my bead locks 2 wheels had no balance weights. There's a YouTube video on Lite Brite Nation where they changed the tires on their Raptor. Swapped the Goodyears for Nittos and ALL 4 Tires had ZERO Weights! LOL

Jmpow79

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jl rubicon, 2017 wrangler sport, 2020 ram
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I would go get your tires balanced. When I installed my bead locks 2 wheels had no balance weights. There's a YouTube video on Lite Brite Nation where they changed the tires on their Raptor. Swapped the Goodyears for Nittos and ALL 4 Tires had ZERO Weights! LOL
Same here, tried different tires and still there. I think it’s drivetrain related

Sponsored

cyberfalco

Badlands
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Some troubleshooting that you can do yourself.

Rotate your tires, fronts on the rear, rears on the front. Does the vibration go away?

If the vibration goes away, then one of those on the front was poorly balanced. Move one from the rear back to the front. Does the vibration come back?

If the vibration came back, you found your tire that is off balance or failing in some fashion.

If the vibration did not come back, try moving the other from the rear to the front. If the vibration came back, you found the bad tire wheel combo.

If you put your front tires on the back and vice versa, and the vibration is still there, there is a good chance you have a brake disk off balance or something else in the rotating assembly that is off.

Jimmiee

Badlands
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I forgot to mention the trim rings. With trim rings, at least on my Badlands, the wheels that were balanced, (2 had no weights) were only balanced on the inside with traditional lead weights that clip onto the outer rim of the wheel.
Did you notice which weights your wheels had when you had them off for rotation?
When you have your wheels re-balanced they can use the stick-on weights and balance both the inner and outer sides of the wheel which gives you a dynamic balance.

IDyeti

Black Diamond
First Name
SPAM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco BD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

If tire balancing doesn't solve the problem you might have a blown shock. I had this exact same symptom on an Xterra, around 65mph I would get some shaking and it would go away around 73mph. Chased my tail for a while on this one, tires, u joints, drive shafts, half shafts, hubs, then finally shocks.

WhiskeyCity

Badlands
First Name
Shannon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Badlands Sasquatch 2.3L, 7spd
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Is your "stay in your lane assist nanny thing" engaged? When you get close to the white or yellow lines, it rattles your steering wheel a little...just like your PS or XBox controller. It really wants you to STAY IN THE CENTER of the driving lane. Depending on your sensitivity setting, it can be quite annoying.

LockedBronco

Big Bend
First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1972 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Is your "stay in your lane assist nanny thing" engaged? When you get close to the white or yellow lines, it rattles your steering wheel a little...just like your PS or XBox controller. It really wants you to STAY IN THE CENTER of the driving lane. Depending on your sensitivity setting, it can be quite annoying.
That's what I was thinking.

And if it is that would really suck!

Sponsored
OP
OP

John94

Black Diamond
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4dr Black Diamond Sas
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
If tire balancing doesn't solve the problem you might have a blown shock. I had this exact same symptom on an Xterra, around 65mph I would get some shaking and it would go away around 73mph. Chased my tail for a while on this one, tires, u joints, drive shafts, half shafts, hubs, then finally shocks.
question is; how can I most easily diagnose if it is Indeed a blown shock?

rtazz17

Banned
Big Bend
Banned
Banned
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford bronco big bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
chances are slim to none its a shock. Its likely wheels out of balance. Typically out of balance wheels show up at over 60 mph.

IDyeti

Black Diamond
First Name
SPAM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco BD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Coilover swap, no easy or cheap way to do it.

chances are slim to none its a shock. Its likely wheels out of balance. Typically out of balance wheels show up at over 60 mph.
Agreed, slim chances for sure but when everything else has been ruled out its a hail mary that might result in a touchtown.

OP
OP

John94

Black Diamond
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4dr Black Diamond Sas
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Update

took it to the highest related local mechanic for an independent inspection. He says the only thing he can find is a blown motor mount - but that may be causing the vibrations.

could off roading having blown the mount?
Sponsored