Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Well that was very impressive.

So to my untrained eye and some one who just started watching rock crawling videos about a week ago lol

Was the jeep attempt just driver error? bad line? or stuff like that just happens sometimes?
He hung his belly up without enough momentum to get by it. Bet on the successful attempt he came at it a little faster before the breakover. I am assuming the JLUR is auto based on how he drives it. It's a finessed trade off between having enough speed and not breaking anything in the transition between sand and rock on the back end.
Sponsored

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
59 Bird, 70, 74, 78, 79 Broncos, 84 LTD 331 w/Vortech, 86 Capri 5.0 turbo, 14 Stang GT, 17 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Great video! Offroad capability comparisons are very tough. If you're looking at sports cars on a racetrack, it's very easy to look at lap times side by side and figure out which one is faster. But offroad, conditions can change from vehicle to vehicle - the lead truck could throw sand or mud on the rock it just passed and make it harder for the follower. There is no perfect, clearly defined, optimal racing line - just the line you try and pick through the obstacles. And tires make a big difference, too. So it's very hard to look at side by side comparisons of the same obstacle and decide which truck is more capable. I'm sure tens of thousands of Jeeps have made it up that rock over the years. This video doesn't prove that a Jeep can't or couldn't or even that the average Jeep would have a hard time, just that the Bronco can do it.
4 door Rub looks like it is not as lifted as 4 door bronco.

Don't agree it is that easy on lap times. Different driver?, maybe even same driver having a better day. Weather conditions, Track conditions, fuel quality, tires used how much, etc....

Do agree on obstacles, can be totally different 2 seconds later. Looking forward to these stock broncos on something local to me. Really looking forward to a bunch of them on 38/-40's, so I can finally wheel with Fords again.

John Bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 2500/ Jeep Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Seeing them wheel these things is fun and everyone keeps dissecting these videos to try to gather little nuggets because it's fun. But don't get carried away with it.

There is no competitive edge displayed and there was zero articulation needed on this obstacle.

I'm guessing they brought the Jeep for two reasons: They wanted to show what their vehicle looks like in actual situations compared to the closest competitor and they know it's a very capable vehicle so it could keep up. This video doesn't show one vehicle being any better than the other.

That said, the Jeep totally let up. Either you stay in the throttle or you don't. It wasn't hung up on anything so the only reason he stopped was no throttle. If he would have gotten to that point and couldn't make it over the lip, he would have been spinning the tires.

When you start running with heavily modified vehicles, Jeep, Toyota, Buggy, Samurai doesn't matter. It's how they are set up. A Jeep with 98" wheel base and a jeep with 114" wheel base will have different trouble with different climbs. Same thing for horsepower, belly clearance, etc. An LS swapped Kia Sportage with 4 link and sticky tires will probably do better than a short arm lifted Rubicon on mud tires.

One rig may be able to walk a climb with no wheel slip while the other has to throttle down to get over a 6" hump on the same climb based on wheelbase alone. And then the opposite happens 10 minutes later.

Just enjoy what you're watching and don't get your expectations too high.

Edit: The Jeep was turtled. Just needed to adjust his line a bit. That's what Jeep gets for putting the gas tank so low on a "trail rated" vehicle.

Last edited:

John Bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 2500/ Jeep Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Great video! Offroad capability comparisons are very tough. If you're looking at sports cars on a racetrack, it's very easy to look at lap times side by side and figure out which one is faster. But offroad, conditions can change from vehicle to vehicle - the lead truck could throw sand or mud on the rock it just passed and make it harder for the follower. There is no perfect, clearly defined, optimal racing line - just the line you try and pick through the obstacles. And tires make a big difference, too. So it's very hard to look at side by side comparisons of the same obstacle and decide which truck is more capable. I'm sure tens of thousands of Jeeps have made it up that rock over the years. This video doesn't prove that a Jeep can't or couldn't or even that the average Jeep would have a hard time, just that the Bronco can do it.
This! ^
Put the same tires on all vehicles, have the same driver in all vehicles, make sure it's 100% rock (no sand, water, mud to change the conditions.) Make sure it's the exact same line. Make sure they have the same cargo/ fuel level.

Let the driver do the obstacle 3 times (minimum) in each vehicle. Then you'll see an actual comparison.

Sponsored

vrtical

Raptor
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Here's a rookie question: With the 7-speed in Crawler gear, can you be not moving and still have the clutch fully engaged? In theory it would stall?
while using crawl gear, you dont need to use the clutch, there is more detail in some of the literature somewhere.

Dmk08

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Walk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

4 door still da best!

Laminar

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cougar
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
while using crawl gear, you dont need to use the clutch, there is more detail in some of the literature somewhere.
Crawl gear means you can go slower without having to modulate the clutch, but you cannot be stopped in gear with the clutch pedal out.

Wyo

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Sas Badlands, 1968 Bronco, 2018 Expy
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

That's where the better breakover angle of the Bronco showed through.

edgeflyer

Banned
Wildtrak
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 FX4
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
You know, I'm very competitive, but have stayed quiet about the passive aggressive rivalry going on. Being a mechanic for a long time, I don't like Jeep's, but to each his own. However, for the first time, we have a pretty dang good comparison on video. Stock for stock, not change tires, or the bronco has more lift, it's not fair that the only thing the Jeep may have a slight advantage over (front articulation) wasn't tested. These are off road vehicles. Articulation isn't the end all. And guess what, with lockers front and rear, articulation isn't really as important as it used to be with LS and open diffs. If the Jeep is the undisputed king of all things off road, It just got knocked down in the exhibition match. Deal with it.

Sponsored

Flourman

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F350 Tremor, 2019 Beta 300RR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If anything it has shown how well the Bronco has stepped into Jeepā€™s area. I really donā€™t think one is better out of the box. Bronco has shown it can compete and then do better in certain categories.

I, like many others, have solidified my choice of the BL on 33ā€™s. Itā€™s a solid and capable vehicle THAT ISNTā€™T A JEEP!

edgeflyer

Banned
Wildtrak
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 FX4
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
So they pick the one obstacle that emphasizes breakover angle and doesnā€™t emphasize articulation, so yeah. And then they donā€™t show the JLURs successful attempt.

That obstacle didnā€™t really emphasize articulation, it was all about climbing and breakover.

Squatch would have had all the Jeepers (including me) saying letā€™s see a JLUR with $2000 in a 2ā€ Mopar lift and 35ā€™s do the same run.

This was stock Badlands vs Rubicon baby and it appears the 4Dr Badlands has a win on breakover and ground clearance.

Would like to know @jimbo92 ā€˜s setup. Looks fairly stock.
[/QUOTE]
Except the lift, mud terrains and what appears to be a front locker.

wjfawb0 [hacked account]

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Wrangler JKR
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Except the lift, mud terrains and what appears to be a front locker.
Rubicons have front lockers factory installed. Rubicons used to come from the factory with BFG KM tires installed. I think they may be getting KO2s from the factory now.

edgeflyer

Banned
Wildtrak
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 FX4
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
We could go back and forth nitpicking, but the reality is Jeep guys were so mouthy until a direct comparison was made, now their backpedaling like there's no tomorrow. I have been sick of the Bronco/Jeep comparisons for some time as I don't really care. However, I can't let this slide. Guys who said the Jeep was better stock for stock lost this battle and can't handle it. Their world is imploding right now over one rock. Now can we ban all Bronco vs Jeep talk on the site and just enjoy the Bronco?
Sponsored