Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, 22 Badlands 2 door
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
M

It was a good idea. From what I see, the fatal flaw was permitting the client to choose the dealer. Had Ford placed geographic limits on customers to support their dealers then this situation with giant dealers using marketing to amass more orders than they could satisfy wouldn’t have occured. I am surprised Ford didn’t do that, frankly. In Industrial Sales, there is such a thing as Territorial boundaries. A dealer of Brand X heavy equipment can sell only in their territory, and if a client from outside their territory comes to them, they MUST be referred to their local authorized dealer. If you sidestep that rule, you will (one) be imposed a financial penalty by the manufacturer (payable to the dealer whose business you stole) and two may lose your dealership if there are repeat offenses. Dealer /Manufacturer support is a two way street. Dealers pay to abide by Ford franchise guidelines and keep Ford stock in the lot. Ford needs to support their dealers in turn.

I don't think the locked territory's would work. Too many other issues. For example, we can buy Hunter alignment equipment from more than one source, but only their rep can come and service it since he as a locked territory. We had issues with everytime he'd come install software, we'd have heads or other costly issues the next alignment, but we couldn't go to another tech. This is why we don't have any Hunter equipment in the shop anymore.

Also you'd have people that are loyal to another local dealer. Also Ford's territory's aren't very logical, the town a few miles south of me isn't in my territory even though its part of our school district, yet one that's 20 miles southwest of me is in my franchise area.

What would have worked is if they'd have done like Mach E and fixed the pricing. Manufacturers can't set the price by law, but they can set advertised pricing. On Mach E if you don't advertise at MSRP (not under) you loose some of the holdback (Ad Covenent is what Ford's calling it). If everyone were doing MSRP, you'd find most people buying local-ish with the usual traffic patterns. Then Ford could have really done the in national order of reservation and most dealers wouldn't have had too much of an issue.
Sponsored

wilbersk

Raptor
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Am I the only person who is worried about their bronco being delivered too early?? Haha

I have a November 27th reservation for a loaded 2.7L BL Sasquatch (so I shouldn’t have much to worry about), but I’m pretty set on getting a 22’ delivered in spring of 22’.

I want to have as big of a down payment as possible, so if too many people cancel and my bronco gets delivered in say fall 21’, I’d be in a hard spot.

Bronc-O

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lincoln Aviator
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Am I the only person who is worried about their bronco being delivered too early?? Haha

I have a November 27th reservation for a loaded 2.7L BL Sasquatch (so I shouldn’t have much to worry about), but I’m pretty set on getting a 22’ delivered in spring of 22’.

I want to have as big of a down payment as possible, so if too many people cancel and my bronco gets delivered in say fall 21’, I’d be in a hard spot.
It's not likely you have anything to worry about. A while back, Ford drew a line at Sept 18th for 21's. Since then, there's been another 6 week delay. With a reservation over 2 months later then that, summer is probably more realistic.

Jeffwomack

Base
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I’d like to get mine mid year 2022 as well.

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

It was a good idea. From what I see, the fatal flaw was permitting the client to choose the dealer. Had Ford placed geographic limits on customers to support their dealers then this situation with giant dealers using marketing to amass more orders than they could satisfy wouldn’t have occured. I am surprised Ford didn’t do that, frankly. In Industrial Sales, there is such a thing as Territorial boundaries. A dealer of Brand X heavy equipment can sell only in their territory, and if a client from outside their territory comes to them, they MUST be referred to their local authorized dealer. If you sidestep that rule, you will (one) be imposed a financial penalty by the manufacturer (payable to the dealer whose business you stole) and two may lose your dealership if there are repeat offenses. Dealer /Manufacturer support is a two way street. Dealers pay to abide by Ford franchise guidelines and keep Ford stock in the lot. Ford needs to support their dealers in turn.
American consumers, we buy where we want and from who we want. Industrial sales does not relate to consumer sales. If the company wants to limit my choice, I don't have to do business with them.

Sponsored

ReimundKrohn

Big Bend
First Name
Reimund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Rav-4, 2005 F-150 Lariat, 2005 PT GT Conv
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

American consumers, we buy where we want and from who we want. Industrial sales does not relate to consumer sales. If the company wants to limit my choice, I don't have to do business with them.
It’s actually an American business model. Think Ingersoll-Rand, Gardner-Denver, Caterpillar, Doosan, Sullair, etc. The only way these Manufacturers can keep their Distributors loyal and supporting their products is by supporting them in return.

PSUTE

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sierra
Your Bronco Model
Base
It’s actually an American business model. Think Ingersoll-Rand, Gardner-Denver, Caterpillar, Doosan, Sullair, etc. The only way these Manufacturers can keep their Distributors loyal and supporting their products is by supporting them in return.
Very sure he specified industrial sales. Very different than consumer sales. If that's how things roll up north, well that ensures that money from your wallet flows into your local dealer's. May explain why I can buy anywhere in the country and all y'all can't even change dealers. Not familiar with the laws up there as far as anti trust is concerned...

Fly by Nite

Base
First Name
Walt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1991 F-150 Nite, 2001 Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

What would have worked is if they'd have done like Mach E and fixed the pricing. Manufacturers can't set the price by law, but they can set advertised pricing. On Mach E if you don't advertise at MSRP (not under) you loose some of the holdback (Ad Covenent is what Ford's calling it). If everyone were doing MSRP, you'd find most people buying local-ish with the usual traffic patterns. Then Ford could have really done the in national order of reservation and most dealers wouldn't have had too much of an issue.
Ford's decision to eliminate the X-plan pricing on the Bronco further contributed to the dealer selection/allocation mess we now have to face.
X-plan pricing would have evened the playing field amongst most dealers. I would have been content with X-plan pricing at my local dealer. But now, to get similar pricing I need to buy from out-of-state and drive nearly 6 hours.

Eliminating X-plan also makes the few dealers offering further discounts even MORE enticing.
End result.... buyers flock to the few dealers willing to discount, the majority of dealers @ MSRP lose business (and complain to Ford) and Ford comes up with this allocation plan which only ends up adding mass confusion and screwing their customers.

Ford would have been better off honoring X-plan discounts, but perhaps revising the eligibility for it, such as eliminating the 'too easy' paths such as the Mustang club membership.

IMO, Ford created this allocation mess with their decision to end the X-plan.

bloominguez

Black Diamond
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Br BD, '22 5BW, '95 Integra, '94 VFR, '04 SV
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Allocation: He really said it's a VERY complicated formula I DONT want to get into it ...
This was probably the thing I liked least about that video. If something can be expressed as a formula, it's NOT complicated. By saying it is complicated he was essentially saying that they have no formula. They're just making things up as they go.

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 4dr Badsquatch, ‘05 LJ & ‘17 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If I was forced (and not able to choose out of state dealer) to buy our Bronco from one of our local Ford dealers, it would have been non-negotiable and the wife would be driving her ‘21 JLU Rubicon by now.

Sponsored

pony2bronco

First Edition
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2DR FE
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Definitely nothing to worry about at all in the slightest on that. I reserved week 2, and ford announced that they already have over 150,000 orders prior to mine. Assuming no more delays and they start production in August/Sept I'm guessing my week to will be mid 2022. Nov may end up around Nov 2022. Only way you could be in trouble is if over 75% or so cancel their orders.

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ford's decision to eliminate the X-plan pricing on the Bronco further contributed to the dealer selection/allocation mess we now have to face.
X-plan pricing would have evened the playing field amongst most dealers. I would have been content with X-plan pricing at my local dealer. But now, to get similar pricing I need to buy from out-of-state and drive nearly 6 hours.

Eliminating X-plan also makes the few dealers offering further discounts even MORE enticing.
End result.... buyers flock to the few dealers willing to discount, the majority of dealers @ MSRP lose business (and complain to Ford) and Ford comes up with this allocation plan which only ends up adding mass confusion and screwing their customers.

Ford would have been better off honoring X-plan discounts, but perhaps revising the eligibility for it, such as eliminating the 'too easy' paths such as the Mustang club membership.

IMO, Ford created this allocation mess with their decision to end the X-plan.
In an X-plan scenario, Ford still wouldn’t be able to produce all anticipated orders in MY21, so they would still need to figure out a way to choose which Broncos are built and shipped first.

The issue isn’t the presence or absence of X-plan... it’s merely their decision to use an allocation formula vs straight reservation order / parts availability.

Ford, for whatever reason, appears to want to keep MY21 Bronco sales relatively proportional to each dealer’s regular sales (with some competing brand spice thrown in). Dealers will still be able to eventually sell all their ordered Broncos, rewarding the dealers who chose more effective sales techniques, but in the MY21 window they had some different priorities.

TigerBronco

First Edition
First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 F-150 F/X 4, 2019 Honda Odyssey, 2001 Nissan Pathfinder, 1992 BMY M923A2 M
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Ford rules, reservation numbers and counts are not to be disclosed.
My dealer was very upfront in stating they had about 300 reservations and telling me exactly where I fell in that group (#6), based on timestamp. Certainly, numbers will change with cancellations but not sure why the number of reservations at a particular dealer is some big secret. My first dealer, before I switched, also shared the number of reservations they were holding. Wasn't a big deal.

Gamecock

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands / Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Ford, for whatever reason, appears to want to keep MY21 Bronco sales relatively proportional to each dealer’s regular sales (with some competing brand spice thrown in). Dealers will still be able to eventually sell all their ordered Broncos, rewarding the dealers who chose more effective sales techniques, but in the MY21 window they had some different priorities.
Ford wants to keep sales relatively proportional to each dealer's regular sales because of the shitstorm that came down on them from dealers when that initially wasn't the case due to the reservation system. I understand why Ford folded on this; but that doesn't mean it wasn't a spineless act of cowardice by their leadership to go back on the commitment they had initially made to those willing to pay for a reservation with them.
Sponsored