Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

The Bronco doesn't have leaf springs like the F150 Raptor, but uses basically Coil Overs, so the shocks are a part of the Load Carrying equation.

As to not being User Adjustable, but computer controlled..... select the Tow Option on the display screen.... yep... computer controlled...

Again.... Time Will Tell...
Time doesn't have to tell what a basic understanding of suspension already does. Long travel suspensions rely heavily on the fact that their spring rates are less progressive for more wheel travel, which means when you add identical weight the suspension squats even more than traditional springs on low travel suspensions. The raptors can't tow as much because they were designed for extra travel, not extra load carrying ability. Expect to be disappointed when Ford publishes identical or lower tow ratings.

ramblinwreck

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
`22 Wildtrak, '21 Wrangler Rubicon 4xe
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Cool video but I am not sure that the OBX would have too many problems on this course.
On that course, I am pretty sure any vehicle with AT tires could run it without problems lol

atimberwolf

Black Diamond
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

A few things from a Gen 1 perspective. I'll say up front I haven't seen a Raptor Bronco in person and am basing all this off the video, various released pictures and comparing to my Gen 1s.

First the 3 lights appear to just be a way to nod to the original Raptor. The actual DOT requirement is 5 lights for over width vehicles (Raptor, Dullies, etc). Hence the 3 lights in the grill (or rear brake light) and 2 in the bumper corners front and rear. Since they aren't using 5 I'm going to guess it isn't as wide as a Raptor pick up. Now it could still be over width and they aren't running the official bumpers front/rear in this video, but ultimately if it is they'll need 5 lights.

Second I can say from experience the Raptor while huge, will not tow anything. I've got the tow package, trailer brakes, anti-sway all the tech that was available and as soon as you put a load on the back end, she squats. There is no way to make the long travel suspension support heavy loads. It's soft to suck up rough terrain and making it stiffer defeats the purpose of owning the Raptor. (there were a few guys that added air bags and different springs to try and help but then it doesn't have the same give on a trail). This is a relatively purpose built truck, you can get it to do other things, but it really only excels at one and pretends at everything else. But what do I know, maybe there's some new tech out there to work around that.

Someone mentioned this being too wide for most trails. Again, I'm not in the Raptor Bronco, but the truck is definitely challenging to wheel on the east coast. There are lots of places you simply cannot take it. I've got a cracked mirror housing and numerous trail kisses to show for my efforts. Heck there are parking lots with spaces that are too narrow and plenty of parking garages that are too short. It's a great truck, but the narrow design of the current Bronco (or Wrangler) is far better for most trails on the eastern side of the country.

I commute in mine when I can and this thing eats up the bad roads, particularly areas like Norfolk, New Jersey, etc. So, there's still some use for it even though I live in NC now. If I was out west, I'd consider the Bronco Raptor. I'd want one to match the Terrain Gen 1, especially after seeing pics of a "desert sand" paint job on the Bronco. But realistically, I'll be sticking with the BD I am waiting on.

For me, this thing should be competing with the Wrangler 392 to truly honor the Raptor badge. (And there's part of the problem with using the Raptor name vs. Warthog) Certainly from the expected price point, that's the market your in. A boosted 6 just doesn't do it. I'm a displacement guy like some others on here and for the money the Wrangler Hemi has a sweeter sound, but I've owned a Rubi in the last 5 years and I don't plan to ever go back there.

DallasCajun

Raptor
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor