Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

If you're getting creative enough to cut to fit the winch like in this video, relocating that fluid-to-fluid transmission cooler wouldn't be a huge issue at all, it feasibly can be placed anywhere.
Have you seen the inside of the engine bay on a 2.7.... not alot of "anywhere".

Anyone know WHY the frame extenders are there? Seems like Ford wouldn't just toss something in for no reason. Wondering if they are for some option only some features use.
Sponsored

ogo

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

I watched both of those videos and this does seem like an option for the 2.1L engine, but as others have said, not the 2.7 or it would require more work.
The other thing I noticed is when he was mocking up the skidplate after getting the winch mounted there was a gap between the bottom of the bumper and top of the skidplate.
I don't think most people would notice it, but he does call it out.

Shinoko

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I don't think it's RC rushing to market as much as RC not being able to get ahold of the different models. Let's put the blame where it lies, Ford was in control of who they worked with and when as far as aftermarket suppliers. 4WP had what they needed to get their stuff to market first even though they are beyond absurdly overpriced. RC has always been an affordable option, it's a shame Ford hasn't worked with them more closely.
Ford is definitely to blame, they failed to get out information to make these things available when the Bronco came out, which is evident by the lack of aftermarket options available at the moment. That said, RC still rushed something to market without doing enough R&D and failed to document that this won't work on a major subset of vehicles, particularly those that end up going off road. They should have done more research to ensure their mounting system works and, if they weren't sure it would, at least document that on their website.

How many owners with the 2.7 do you think bought their mount and winch only to find it doesn't work? AFAIK the only place it's documented not to work is here.

You mean like Ford did with theirs? Failing to test on vehicles with the high & lux packages and it not compatible with front sensors & ACC?
Yep, exactly like that. Fords option is even more shameful given that they had access to test vehicles. At least they document these limitations, though.

If you're getting creative enough to cut to fit the winch like in this video, relocating that fluid-to-fluid transmission cooler wouldn't be a huge issue at all, it feasibly can be placed anywhere.
There isn't a lot of room to move something like that. You presumably want it down lower to get airflow and stay out of the heat generated by other components, you also have to consider moving/replacing hoses and refilling fluids. The hoses are a specific length to reach that point, there isn't a lot of other space to put it nearby especially with a winch and winch plate in the way.

Solvable problem for sure, but it's more effort than just rebolting it somewhere else, from what I saw.

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 4dr Badsquatch, ‘05 LJ & ‘17 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Have you seen the inside of the engine bay on a 2.7.... not alot of "anywhere".

Anyone know WHY the frame extenders are there? Seems like Ford wouldn't just toss something in for no reason. Wondering if they are for some option only some features use.
Well it wouldn't get relocated under the hood. I had one in my jeep grill but after mounting an intercooler in that spot, I now have my trans cooler under the tub.

OP
OP
Rubisquatch

Rubisquatch

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Wildrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

If you look at my post history, I posted photos of the location they want to put the winch with the skid removed, there is a heat exchanger of some sort there that would not allow it to sit where the winch does.

This is RC rushing a solution to market without doing enough R&D. I'd be really hesitant to mount this even if it fit.
It looks like @Shinoko is right, here are pics of the area under the skid plate of his 2.7 and shows some sort of heat exchanger there. At least from these images, looks like this would need to be relocated before adding the RC winch platform here. Hope @RoughCountryRyan replies soon with an update on this for the 2.7 or mod bumper.

Ford Bronco Video: Making the Rough Country Hidden Winch fit on the Mod Steel Bumper 86CECACB-9841-4F8E-A842-372367FD6D18

Ford Bronco Video: Making the Rough Country Hidden Winch fit on the Mod Steel Bumper C0E05AEA-936D-4E71-B6E7-3F1865708A09

Sponsored

mds5917

Badlands
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco Badlands, '21 Toyota RAV4 Prime
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
That sure looks promising (if you have a 2.3, which I do). Now, @RoughCountryRyan, hopefully you are coming out with either a kit with a skid plate for the mod bumper, or make the fairlead pieces available (so we don't have to cut out that section and waste the skid plate).

Is there a reason he did not use a grinder on the frame extensions instead of a sawzall - were those tacked on the inner sides and maybe I did not notice. Don't have my Bronco yet, or I would check. Also, how concerning is it to have the opening/fairlead on the downward angle when cut into the Ford skid plate, vs the vertical mounting of the RC version? I would think this would cause the line to rub excessively on the upper side in almost every use. Would this be of concern for the wear on the synthetic line?

Last edited:

Jhuff

Badlands
First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma and DR650
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Awesome work, man!

Makes the decision between capable and modular bumpers tougher... Until someone finds a way to make the capable work with this.

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

It doesn't require airflow, it uses engine coolant to cool the fluid. The 2.3's cooler is mounted up on the side of the transmission as an example of how low on priority airflow was when we developed the powertrain.

The cooler can very plausibly can go back to the second cross member below the engine without causing clearance issues. I'm not saying it's a perfect solution and I haven't modeled to see how true that would work but it's not a big component and should squeeze in.
Well the 2.3 and 2.7 have the same Auto Transmission yet they purposely updated the transmisson cooler for the 2.7. (probably has to do with the fact that the 2.7 torque is pushing the limits of the transmission).

So I would be concerned that moving it to a spot that May not get as much air flow, could cause the transmission to run hot.

But until someone figures this out I guess us 2.7 guys are screwed.

Blaylock1988

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco, 2004 Volkswagen R32
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I really like the stock HD bumper with the RC hidden winch. The options for us 2.7 Lux Broncos appear to be:
1. ACC sensor relocation and get a bumper that probably blocks the front camera
2. Transmission oil cooler relocation, then use RC's hidden winch without any obstruction/modification of the ACC or front camera (preferred).

Are those oil lines high pressure? If not, then it might not be too bad of a DIY to extend and reroute them.

Broncolli

Black Diamond
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Back Diamond 4 door MIC
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

awesome work ! Thank you !

If I do get a winch in the future - I would have to relocate my located from stock license plate which changes that low, but not a huge issue -

Sponsored

cbrownabq

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge 2500 diesel
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

How does the weight feel on the front? Any more squat?

Daktari

Badlands
First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badsquatch, Tacoma TRD Off Road, Jetta
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

that's sure promising, by the time I "need" a winch, I'm sure somebody has come up with a way to hide one somewhere and make it all look nice and tidy. Not a fan of the big front hanging fat nose winch look. Also won't need the most powerful winch on the market, really would only need it to get out/over/up something for a bit, I'm not planning to pull myself through some rock garden. And there are always snatchblocks etc.
I'm still thinking a decent powered winch on a hitch receiver plate and adding a front receiver nicely tucked away would be enough for my use, leave that heavy thing at home for the 90+% I'm not on a trail. But I'd consider something nicely tucked in as well.

But man, going at it with a saw on a new Badlands? Balls. I'd hesitate and loose sleep about using sandpaper on my brand new rig :-D

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

We did not update the cooler between engines, the cooler physically interferes when mounted to the transmission due to the frame and exhaust clearance on the V6. The capability between coolers is identical. And again I will re-state that the cooler is fluid-to-fluid, it does not use airflow to cool the transmission fluid, it use engine coolant.
Wait..what? So you're saying the heat exchanger is exactly the same between the two engines, they just couldn't fit it next to the transmission for the 2.7?

If that's the case, I wonder why they didn't just attach the transmission lines to the radiator like they've been doing in automatics forever? (Or is it there as well, so it actually has two heat exchanges with coolant?

Maybe some aftermarket will come up with a relocation kit with extended hoses or something. But I know it's not going to be cheap.

rdass623

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road, Fiat 124 Abarth
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

maybe the people ar rough country decided to exploit an advantage with the 2.3 and decided they were not even going to shoot for the 2.7 market for this product. seems like they may be targeting a vehicle line which has neither the modular bumper which has winch provisions and skid plates for the plastic bumper which has a windage tray and no winch provisions. perhaps they were looking beyond the heavily optioned vehicles and into the lower trims who might also be interested in customization... just because a 2.3 can use it does not mean a 2.7 can...

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

maybe the people ar rough country decided to exploit an advantage with the 2.3 and decided they were not even going to shoot for the 2.7 market for this product. seems like they may be targeting a vehicle line which has neither the modular bumper which has winch provisions and skid plates for the plastic bumper which has a windage tray and no winch provisions. perhaps they were looking beyond the heavily optioned vehicles and into the lower trims who might also be interested in customization... just because a 2.3 can use it does not mean a 2.7 can...
I mean it's possible. Since RC is one of the cheaper made accessories, and many folks may get the cheaper trims with the cheaper 2.3 it could go hand in hand.

But If that were the case, you would think they would specifically mention that their product doesn't work with the 2.7 (or the entire WT and FE trims).

I think, like most vendors who could not get their hands on a Bronco, they were just in a rush and managed to get a basic 2.3 and ran with it, not even realizing that the 2.7 is set up differently.
Sponsored