Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 fusion energi
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Went on a 400 mile road trip to help break in the Bronco and I'm happy to say that it's a animal in normal mode, a purring cat in eco mode, and a complete monster in sport mode.

To put in a quick note about eco mode. My wife drove nearly half the trip over mostly highway speeds, in Oregon hwys about 60mph over hills and curvy roads and at the halfway point on our trip we did 20 mpg on the 2.7. Pretty good.

Then the next day

Me driving normal mode was averaging about 18.5 mpg, as most of us know normal mode is good. Engine is strong, shifts well with the 10 speed, plenty of power. So to curb my curiosity I flip to sport mode on an onramp getting on the freeway and let me say I was quite surprised at the difference. I thought it would be a little better but it was WAYYY better than normal mode. The throttle response was much much quicker, the engine revved much faster (not sure if that was part of the throttle response), then to my surprise, the engine would shift a bit higher in the rev range to keep the torque up on shifts, don't want the revs to go too low into the next gear. Also on my dash I have the PSI for the turbos. During acceleration on the freeway to go from 65 to 75, which admittingly didn't take very long, the PSI boosted around the 8 PSI range. I flipped over to normal and the PSI only boosted up to about 4psi from what I noticed. I didn't compare launching boost, but entering the freeway the PSI was boosting over 12psi in sport mode.

I stopped testing as the road got busy, I can attest the breaks and crash avoidance system works very well, but I found as follows with the sport mode.

In my opinion sport does
1. Allows more boost from the turbos
2. Revs higher before shifting
3. Greatly improves throttle response.

Not my opinion but to be through, it also flips into 4A.

I know a lot of folks just think that adding the throttle response tool to the ODB port is the way to go, which it is an improvement. However, just wanted to say that sport mode is way more than just better throttle response. It's a slap a big smile on my face, freak the wife out, drink some more fuel, pavement pounding button that makes the Bronco in my opinion a full meal deal vehicle.

Anybody want to purchase a 69 mustang coupe? I don't really need it anymore.
Sponsored

iwantabasebronco

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gmc
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I love sport mode and the 2.7!ā€¦ and I donā€™t have the advanced transfer case, so mine stays in 2H šŸ˜
Iā€™ve boosted over 10psi several times in normal into a head wind FYI. And I agree the throttle response is way different in sport. Itā€™s almost a linear curve (1:1 with position Of accelerator) vs the kind of lagging curve of normal mode. Itā€™s a beast in sport mode. Also glad I got the 2.7

emkayw

Base
First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford fusion
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I have a 2.3 / 7-spd. Sport mode makes the Bronco more responsive and fun to drive. Does the MPG suffer? Absolutely. Do I care, Absolutely Not!
Sponsored