Sponsored

How’s vinyl wrap price, quality, longevity, downsides?

Suke996

First Edition
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco First Edition (Reservation)
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Disappointed in the exterior and interior colors and materials. Having a reservation for a First Edition, $65k for Navy Pier and restricted exterior colors is ridiculous.

Wish Ford would listen but they don't care as no matter what, someone will snatch up the First Edition that we most likely won't be completing the order on.
Sponsored

zrizik99

Black Diamond
First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 2016
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Is anyone else vastly disappointed with all the color offerings? I mean sure, you’ve got to offer black and white, but aside from those staples I really wish there were more exciting options.
I feel like I’m looking at 50 shades of grey (ha) and then some actual blue color that isn’t available until god knows when.

i love everything else about the bronco aside from the colors and it’s really making me flustered lol. Throughout my childhood I would build my dream car, whatever it may be at the time, on these OEM configurators and NEVER had a problem choosing some totally rad color.

Now I’m finally a grown adult with adult money and can legitimately purchase a cool car that high school me would have killed for and yet I can’t find a color I like to save my life.

so now I’m looking at my options? Anyone know anything about car wraps? Are they legit in terms of longevity and quality? Any obvious downsides?
I'm not sure. If you are taking it off road, I'd assume it's going to peel instead of scratch. Which may turn into larger gashes. Matte black or grey is my dream color. Would love for that option.

mkhutch

Outer Banks
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 GMC Sierra, 2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I currently have 2 wrapped vehicles and they are fine. Some key points:
1- Get a good brand wrap (recommend 3M, Avery or Oracal)
2- Wash and maintain. I wouldnt go through an automated car wash. No wax needed. Any dirty spots use Isopropyl alcohol to clean the grime.
3- They typically last 5 years. If take care of maybe a little longer, if not, a little shoter
4- You can get the wrap to be as detailed or not and will vary in pricing. Meaning the installer can wrap every inch, which will look the best, but expect to pay more as its much more time consuming to remove all emblesm, door handles, lights, doors, etc to get full coverage.
5- The vinyl come sin different sheens, so you can pick gloss, satin, flat etc to make your car stand out more.
6- The vinyl is basically an expensive paint protection. If you have normal wear and tear you can get scratches etc. It shouldnt tear from normal use. If its sharp enough to cut through the vinyl, expect it to cut through your paint/panels as well.
7- I typically get a 2nd layer fro added protection in areas that can get damaged more (i.e grill, hood etc)

If you do decide, make sure you get a reputable wrapper. Most good ones are certified from 3M and can make any surface smooth and bubble free. A less talented one will get contaminents and other imperfections in the vinyl that will make it look like shit

Reactions: N3T

Rogues Gambit

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ram Rebel, '07 A4 Quattro
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Need a real green- Guard or Highland Green. Drives me nuts. My first car was a green Explorer, and it would just be so right if I could make that happen again.
I'm with you, except I'm the crazy bastard who'd rather spend the extra $$$$ and personalize it by painting and then ceramic coating it, as it shows dedication

Rocketeer Rick

Badlands
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 F150 STX 5.0L, 1999 Mustang Cobra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I've been curious about this as well. I intend to order in Race Red, to match my dad's Candy Apple Red '69 Bronco. But I also want to look at using vinyl to go in the direction of a Stroppe Baja Bronco, i.e. blue metallic on top, white from the drip edge down to the belt line, and matte black on the hood. I know that it should be Poppy Red on the lower body to be correct, but Race Red will have to be close enough.

I hadn't given any thoughts to the door jam areas, but the majority of that will remain red anyway. And I'm hoping that the aftermarket will come up with a roadster door style insert anyway.

What about gloss levels? Is the glossy vinyl really glossy, or is it more of a plastic sheen? Does one need to wax it keep it glossy? Indeed, can you wax it at all?

Sponsored

dwfern

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco 4-Door
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I am new to vinyl wraps and am curious about them, so I was looking at 3Ms 2080 Series Vinyl Wraps and was surprised on the number of options. I have been told the wraps are great quality these days and a much cheaper option than repainting.

Thinking it could also be a more economical way of obtaining a white roof and accents.

Anyone with good experience with wraps?

How do they hold up? Is the quality good? What would be a ballpark cost to wrap a new Bronco in say green, brown, yellow, tan, neon ;)?

sliwa

Base
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Focus
Your Bronco Model
Base
Anyone have any experience with a wrapped car? How does the vinyl hold up? Would it be worth it on something that will likely get scratched up out on the trail?

OP
OP
SamG

SamG

Black Diamond
First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
sas
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Asked this exact thing months back.
Everyone seems to have their own opinions but I can tell you this.

It costs a good amount of money for it to be properly applied.
Salt is not kind to it.

broadicustomworks

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Z71, 06 VTX1300, 94 Cobra, 21 BL Bronco 4dr.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Anyone have any experience with a wrapped car? How does the vinyl hold up? Would it be worth it on something that will likely get scratched up out on the trail?
Yes,
holds up fine for @5 years, give or take depending on quality and brand. If you take care of it, garage it, etc...indefinitely. I haven't had those luxuries to gauge it by.
Scratching:
IT would protect the paint for most scratches (small/fine/small branches).
Itself, when scratched down to the paint, provides a peel-point where it could fail when washed with a power washer, car wash wand, going 120 down a 2-lane.
Cost: $2000-4000 ballpark depending on many factors...

Raptor911

Raptor
First Name
Raptor911
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 F150 Raptor, 2022 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
If you want protection then get Xpel as it is much thicker than vinyl and it self healing.

Reactions: RG7

Sponsored

RG7

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
B8 A4, 2018 Triumph Street Triple R
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I had a wrapped FD and wrapping was a good solution for that application. The car never saw so much as a gravel road and frankly wasn’t driven that much (on account of it being a rotary and always broken :/) so the wrap held up very well, and as far as I know is still in service with the current owner.

With that said, I don’t know if wrapping is a good solution here. If you’re really planning on being out on narrow trails with tree branches frequently, I wouldn’t wrap it. Will look like trash in a year. Mil thickness of the vinyl definitely comes into play here, and as Raptorman said above the self-healing properties of xpel are amazing, but it’s not a color change afaik.

If your truck realistically won’t see serious tree-lined trails that often, or you just won’t really be wheeling it, wrapping could work for you.

Side note: MIC top will not be able to be wrapped without sanding down/melting the top surface. Surface is too rough IMO

trivletrav

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Challenger SXT
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I think I'm going to be very happy with my oxford white bronco. But I do genuinely think Ford dropped the ball on the paint colors. Granted they've been under the gun to get this thing to market asap, so more colors won't help in that regard, but I am also seriously considering a wrap. I've always loved the quicksand color Tacomas here so if I were to wrap it, I think I'd go this route. My only concern is the incredible humidity we have here in the nation's swampy bullshit mess of a Capitol lol. I think a flat tan like that would look amazing though. Particularly on the base trim as it has the more modest grille. If I do end up doing it, I'd probably also linex the door sills if possible to get around the issues addressed earlier in this thread. This is all speculative of course as I have yet to meet my Bronco in person.

KADNC

Outer Banks
First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Wrangler JKU Anvil, 2012 911
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Some idle thoughts while I wait for build & price.... Interested in opinions on wrapping a new Bronco with vinyl film for protection.

I've been very happy with the clear film applied to my car bumper, hood, mirrors. No rock chips and the like.

I never did the same for my Wrangler and it's been fine. Though, my potential new Bronco will be pricier than any Jeep I've purchased. FWIW, I am not thrilled with any planned Bronco colors. I can go on a rant about that...for another thread....

BossMann

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Honda Pilot
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'm probably LINE-X 'ing the bottom half...
Sponsored