Sponsored

Waiting out for the Warthog? Expected price?

Boston182

First Edition
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Harley Davidson Sportster
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

As long as this remains an unknown I won't go through with the reservation order. Since there is still significant reason to believe a better engine is still an upcoming option I'll just keep waiting.

There is zero chance of me buying one and turning it over to eat thousands in depreciation in order to get what I actually wanted in the first place. My POS car is obviously going to last forever no matter how badly I treat it anyway.
I'm with you. I don't do the trade in/up thing. Once I buy a vehicle, I keep it forever until I drive it into the ground. Same thing with technology/phones/computers. That said, if waiting gets me a higher tier that'll BE higher tier for longer, I feel like I can be patient. That's why I'm asking to begin with: if I'm going to keep it forever, might as well be the absolute best option. ?
Sponsored

mike.s

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
My plan has been to wait for the raptor/warthog all along. Having owned a ford performance vehicle, gt350, and driving a raptor i have full confidence that what they are gonna build will be worth the wait and price. Resale doesn't play into it as I plan on keeping it forever

BroncoST

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 fiesta STs
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
So, question... I've got a reservation for a First Edition 2 Door. But now I'm all antsy about the Warthog. I clearly wanna blow my cash on the most tricked out option (DINK life), but if there's going to be a bigger/better engine in the Warthog, I can wait? But if it's like you said and it's all just accessories that I can get to make my First Edition into Warthog status, then I buy now?

Are you allowed to be that transparent with me and tell me to wait (bigger/better engine for the Warthog) or buy now (Warthog status achievable through aftermarket parts)? Trying to avoid buyer's remorse here because $60k is a lot for disappointment in a few years...

DINK life FTMFW!

cowinsawdents

First Edition
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 FE, 19 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

dammit...I really wanted this to be an easy decision. In the scheme of things, these are good problems to have, so I shouldn't complain.

FirstOnRaceDay

Base
First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic, 19.5 Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Base
The Warthog won’t be unveiled until mid 2022 (Detroit) at the earliest and won’t be available until 2023. (At the earliest)

I expect it to be a Wildtrack trim.
Add steel bash plates and steelbumper
Then add the 2” lift with 37s
Add High Package.
Add 3.0L V6TT with 400+hp 415lbft+

all for $60,000

just a guess.

Sponsored

JimmyDean

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
82 Bronco, 513 ci; 71 mach 1, 351C; 06 F-250, 6.0; 56 800, 172c.i. gas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The 7 speed is only rated for 405 lb. ft. of torque. The 2.7 EcoBoost can provide 400 lb. ft.

5 lb. ft. isn't enough of a safety margin.

A tuned 2.3 EcoBoost could easily destroy the 7 speed is my bet as well.
There is a very large safety margin in that 405 rating.

mike.s

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
The Warthog won’t be unveiled until mid 2022 (Detroit) at the earliest and won’t be available until 2023. (At the earliest)

Add High Package.

all for $60,000

just a guess.
Throw some bronco r fenders on it and I'm all in

Paint

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Undecided

Add High Package.

all for $60,000

just a guess.
And it'll have cloth seats and 8" screen with single camera at 60k.

Oh. And they'll advertise it with Method Race Wheels, but deliver it with steelies.

BroncoBoy22

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'11 Mustang GT 5.0
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
There aren't any plans to make Bronco (or Warthog) a hybrid for now. They originally planned on making a hybrid version to comply with CAFE standards, but later found it wasn't necessary. Depending on where CAFE standards go in the next few years (still lots of volatility due to politics), a hybrid may need to be added later on.
Thank you Sir! I really REALLY appreciate it!

with no hybrid on the horizon I don’t think I want to wait another 2 years. It’ll be a badsquatch Lux for me! And if the warthog is that goodI’ll eat the depreciation 2 years later and trade in

duc135

First Name
Duc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2014 Ram 1500
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
There is a very large safety margin in that 405 rating.
Yes, but the factory tune adds something like 60lb-ft of torque to the 2.3. How much will it add to the 2.7 if it were made available? I'm guessing for legal reasons, they can't offer the MT with the 2.7 if a factory tune was made available or they can't offer the 2.7 factory tune. Based on the smaller MT base vs the 2.7 base, they would probably go with the former.

With the recent announcement by FCA that they may make the V8 available in the Wrangler, all Ford would need to do is just release a factory tune for the 2.7 to make it competitive again. They won't be able to do that if it would potentially destroy people's MTs. All this is under the assumption that Ford ordered the MT with the lowest base options that can only handle 600 Nm. If they stepped it up and paid for the 800 Nm version then my theory is debunked.

Last edited:

Sponsored

I_am_Becks

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pre-ordered first of 500 2015 Golf R
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The 7 speed is only rated for 405 lb. ft. of torque. The 2.7 EcoBoost can provide 400 lb. ft.

5 lb. ft. isn't enough of a safety margin.

A tuned 2.3 EcoBoost could easily destroy the 7 speed is my bet as well.
This was an issue with tuned manual VW GTIs. The clutch became the weak link and people who tuned them ended up with transmission issues on the manuals fairly quickly.

captchathis

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
To save time and grief speculating whether this or that engine can be paired with a manual like the sasquatch or 2.7 debacle that's going on, can we safely assume a manual for the warthog has 0% chance of happening?

Emersaurus

Wildtrak
First Name
Emerson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak

Add High Package.

all for $60,000

just a guess.
I think the Warthog will be a 23MY which would mean it'd be released late 2022. The Bronco will come out next spring, so it'd be about an 18 month wait from when the Bronco first is available to the public. That would approximately follow the timeline of the last gen F150 raptor (2 model years after launch, raptor came out).

Also something to consider, the F150 Raptor starts at about $53,000, but you can option it up into the $70Ks. My guess is a 4 door Warthog with no options will start just below the F150 Raptor price (could be slightly higher for gen 3 raptor), so probably $52k - $53k to start and then options will take it up to a few thousand higher than the first edition (maybe like $65k fully optioned). My personal belief is that the Warthog will be a vehicle that bridges between the Wildtrak and Bronco R, and is a more high speed baja racer type.

My personal plan is to wait until the Warthog comes out and make my decision on what to buy then. :p
Sponsored