Sponsored

Warn Front Bumper, Could there be Intercooler Problems?

Sascrotch

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jetpack
Your Bronco Model
Base
I'm strongly considering getting the Warn Elite front bumper for my bronco, but I'm concerned about the intercooler:

Ford Bronco Warn Front Bumper, Could there be Intercooler Problems? FB2.PNG

The question I have has to do with the winch position. It's lower than the 4WD and Steel Mod Bumper winch positions, and puts the thing right in front of the intercooler (red square is a sensor, behind that is the IC)

Ford Bronco Warn Front Bumper, Could there be Intercooler Problems? 1626986659744

It does look like there might be some holes on the warn bumper below the winch to help airflow:

Ford Bronco Warn Front Bumper, Could there be Intercooler Problems? FB1.PNG

but given that the intercooler is already "cheap garbage" with "bad flow" according to the engineer in this thread (https://thebronconation.com/forums/threads/make-sure-to-upgrade-the-intercooler-first.4376/), the added air resistance of the winch seems like it could cause even more trouble. Don't get me wrong, even if the intercooler is fairly cheap, I'm sure it will get the job done in stock configuration (it's not a race car after all), I just worry that further restrictions like this bumper might cause trouble, especially since I'm in a hot climate.

Does anyone have insight into how much of an issue this might be? I'm not against doing an intercooler relocation; however, at that point I feel like I might as well get a more recessed bumper with a hidden winch if that space is opened up.
Sponsored

MrGreen55

Badlands
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
toyota scion xb
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

After seeing this my hope is Warn making a better solution for the Modular bumper. I know you have to change out the back bumper because it not metal if you care about that but kind of dumb to change out the front after getting the modular bumper because of the winch.

OP
OP
Sascrotch

Sascrotch

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jetpack
Your Bronco Model
Base
After seeing this my hope is Warn making a better solution for the Modular bumper. I know you have to change out the back bumper because it not metal if you care about that but kind of dumb to change out the front after getting the modular bumper because of the winch.
Yeah, the mod bumper is great aside from the stock winch solution. Hopefully someone figures out a way to improve that.

Personally I ordered the plastic front bumper with the base with the plan of getting something aftermarket. All I want is something steel with a reasonable winch mounting solution, but it seems like the intercooler location makes that pretty tough to pull off. I'd love something like this DV8 render, but I suspect things like this would require IC relocation. Fortunately (or unfortunately depending on your perspective), I don't have to worry about too many sensors up front since I have the standard pack.

Ford Bronco Warn Front Bumper, Could there be Intercooler Problems? 1626989310297

Chrome_Pony

Badlands
First Name
Chrome
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2.3L Badlands High, 2017 LWN Duramax Z71
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
According to the unverifiable word of some dude's friend on the internet claiming to be an engineer is a bad way to consider mods, especially for a completely different application with different airflow.

I suspect that plenty of aftermarket offerings will address intercooler shortcomings as well as front bumper designs, although how many address both of those together to ensure longevity, will probably be only a few larger manufacturers like Warn, AEV, ARB, and the like. The other offerings will be just bolt on without compatibility consideration to existing systems.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Sascrotch

Sascrotch

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jetpack
Your Bronco Model
Base
According to the unverifiable word of some dude's friend on the internet claiming to be an engineer is a bad way to consider mods, especially for a completely different application with different airflow.
True, point taken. It seems the only real solution will be to wait until more people get their hands on these things to see exactly what we're dealing with. I'm in bronco mode so I've been wanting to plan out all my mods asap, but I'm sure having some patience with these things will go a long ways.

Razorback

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln MKX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You "might" be able to move the intercooler when you upgrade it...I'm just not sure about relocating the ACC. We may have to make a compromise. Trail cam or ACC.

rdass623

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road, Fiat 124 Abarth
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

the world is full of trade offs. you need to figure out what is the most valuable. the intercooler's efficiency probably will not be effected, since ram effect does not seem tom be part of how the engineers planned the intercooler. if it were, there would be ducts. there is probably plenty enough air being pulled by the cooling fans behind the radiator to provide for intercooler function. a slightly warmer intake charge will only result in a miniscule change in maximum power.

Sponsored

swooshdave

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yes, but have you seen a picture of a real one? Because the picture from Warn is a rendering.

The good news is that without the bull bar the camera might work, although there's no confirmation from anyone yet.

BroncoKong Jr.

Badlands
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yes, but have you seen a picture of a real one? Because the picture from Warn is a rendering.
Unfortunately no. Was totally surprised to see it in stock without ever having seen an actual pic of it. But there are instructions!

Someone be the guinea pig plz

HBTFD

Black Diamond
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

The openings on the bottom of the warn bumper from the attached picture have more area than the stock bumper for airflow to the intercooler.

OP
OP
Sascrotch

Sascrotch

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jetpack
Your Bronco Model
Base
the intercooler's efficiency probably will not be effected, since ram effect does not seem tom be part of how the engineers planned the intercooler. if it were, there would be ducts. there is probably plenty enough air being pulled by the cooling fans behind the radiator to provide for intercooler function.
That's interesting insight regarding the ducts. If the ram effect isn't part of the design, I'd feel a lot more comfortable getting this bumper since it does seem that the downward-facing cutouts would provide plenty of air.

OP
OP
Sascrotch

Sascrotch

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jetpack
Your Bronco Model
Base