Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
sas
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Heads up - using the provided star key/tool on the bronco bolts isn’t always the best idea. Not a super tight fit and as such slightly stripped a bolt.

Shocked that the provided tool doesn’t fit well enough tbh
Sponsored

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Heads up - using the provided star key/tool on the bronco bolts isn’t always the best idea. Not a super tight fit and as such slightly stripped a bolt.

Shocked that the provided tool doesn’t fit well enough tbh
Buy some quality Torx PLUS bits, NOT regular Torx bits, the regular style will strip out your bolts.

Last edited:

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 bronco sport 91 comanche eliminator 93 v8 zj
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
And DO NOT use an impact.

As a side note I think largely everyone should think of the bronco bolts as place keepers. Since you may be mounting things differently or of differing thicknesses you will likely need a different bolt for your application. Use proper hardware and lock washers if you want things to stay put folks.

Bigmoose

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Flex Ecoboost Limited
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The bronco tool kit is probably harbor freight quality or less. Definitely need a quality bit. Thanks for the heads up.

BaseBD

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4D Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I think the bolts are also Torx Plus, so slightly different shape. I noticed my t40 is a Hair loose. Need to get a t40 torx plus

Sponsored

Chuck_Ruck

Badlands
First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150, Wrangler, Eldorado, Harley, Triumph
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The bronco tool kit is probably harbor freight quality or less.
Has any manufacturer EVER provided a tool worth a damn? I'm surprised they didnt include these wonderful bits...

winkelschluessel-mit-zwei-kurzen-schenkel-337740.jpg

TL7421-One-Color.jpg

Bigmoose

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Flex Ecoboost Limited
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Has any manufacturer EVER provided a tool worth a damn? I'm surprised they didnt include these wonderful bits...
I'd take those made in Japan ones over harbor freight any day! Haha.

Rusty Sheckelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Undecided

Herbie

Badlands
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

And DO NOT use an impact.

As a side note I think largely everyone should think of the bronco bolts as place keepers. Since you may be mounting things differently or of differing thicknesses you will likely need a different bolt for your application. Use proper hardware and lock washers if you want things to stay put folks.
Shane, if I'm mounting Pod lights on the mirror mounts you think I should not put the torx bolts back in rather I should use a bolt and washer I pick up separately? I was planning on just using the torx bolt like Middleton Motors did in one of their videos on here. I appreciate your input.

Sponsored

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 bronco sport 91 comanche eliminator 93 v8 zj
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Shane, if I'm mounting Pod lights on the mirror mounts you think I should not put the torx bolts back in rather I should use a bolt and washer I pick up separately? I was planning on just using the torx bolt like Middleton Motors did in one of their videos on here. I appreciate your input.
In some cases the factory bolts would be just fine. Especially on interior pieces where there is less vibration from wind. But as far as the pod lights goes or anything on the bumpers or elsewhere outside. Having a bolt that has issues stripping and has the potential to be the wrong length I would have to actually look at it. If it cant be torqued down enough then thats a problem. Also alot of products will come with bolts that have lock washers or grooves under the head to prevent backing out.

I would say try it with what you have. If you are unsure at all about it staying. Use a torque wrench and remember what you set it at. Then re-torque em after a week or a tank of gas or whatever. If they arent close to the torque you set them at then maybe you need to look at better hardware.

Just keep an eye on anything you modify, you dont want a edgy aluminum chunk dangling from a wire against your fender while on a rough road.

Herbie

Badlands
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

In some cases the factory bolts would be just fine. Especially on interior pieces where there is less vibration from wind. But as far as the pod lights goes or anything on the bumpers or elsewhere outside. Having a bolt that has issues stripping and has the potential to be the wrong length I would have to actually look at it. If it cant be torqued down enough then thats a problem. Also alot of products will come with bolts that have lock washers or grooves under the head to prevent backing out.

I would say try it with what you have. If you are unsure at all about it staying. Use a torque wrench and remember what you set it at. Then re-torque em after a week or a tank of gas or whatever. If they arent close to the torque you set them at then maybe you need to look at better hardware.
Thank you

Bradley Thornton

Badlands
First Name
Bradley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Sequoia TRD sport, 2021 Badlands Sas, 93 Cobra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

GoTigersGoBronco

Badlands
First Name
Zachary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I appreciate what Sandy Munro told the Mach E engineering chief “a threaded fastener is actually a threaded unfastener”

jorgem31

Outer Banks
First Name
Jorge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Does anyone know if there is a list of all the sizes of torx and bolts used on a Bronco? I would love to pack a toolkit with only what's needed.
Sponsored