First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Wait, so the 6-piece tool kit provided by Ford (to aid in roof and door removal) is supposed to be used to disassemble the entire vehicle? Come on man.

LOL.
No, but it SHOULD come with the tools to remove the "ACCESSORY READY" bolts that they are so proud of.
Sponsored

Glen

First Name
Glenn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln MKC
Your Bronco Model
Undecided

Efthreeoh

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hummer H3T
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
No, but it SHOULD come with the tools to remove the "ACCESSORY READY" bolts that they are so proud of.
Why? The tool kit, as stated by Ford, is provided to remove the doors and roof. I think the intent of the kit is really for field removal of the doors and top clamshell, say if one is camping and wants to run door and top less. I doubt anyone will actually use the Ford kit ever if they have an extensive kit of tools. I'd bet the owners that will install accessory-ready accessories are some level of DIY'ers who will have a decent set of real tools.

redone17

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Why? The tool kit, as stated by Ford, is provided to remove the doors and roof. I think the intent of the kit is really for field removal of the doors and top clamshell, say if one is camping and wants to run door and top less. I doubt anyone will actually use the Ford kit ever if they have an extensive kit of tools. I'd bet the owners that will install accessory-ready accessories are some level of DIY'ers who will have a decent set of real tools.
Fair enough. One main ON TRAIL moment the T40 would come in handy is removal of the end caps on the modular bumper.

Just found it funny. I had the correct torx.

Sponsored

Efthreeoh

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hummer H3T
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Fair enough. One main ON TRAIL moment the T40 would come in handy is removal of the end caps on the modular bumper.

Just found it funny. I had the correct torx.
Looks like the tool bag has open spots for a few other drivers...

zombie

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands (7spd) 2022 Mustang GT PP
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The OP doesn't mention which particular "bronco bolt" was stripped, but I just did some audio work on mine and noticed the torque spec listed for the grab handle by the driver's door hinge is a very low 80 inch pounds (less than 7 ft lbs) so if you're applying much torque to them it'd be no wonder if they stripped.

Ford Bronco Warning: Bronco bolts strip easily 1633276218609

Sponsored

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 bronco sport 91 comanche eliminator 93 v8 zj
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
So first off we are discussing removal of fasteners, since that was the occasion the OP was discussing, removing the Bronco bolts and the Torx head stripping. In opposition to your statement I have been discussing removal of fasteners using powered impact wrenches and impact drivers and using powered non-impact tools such as powered ratchets. You stated "don't use impacts", which I completely disagree with. Removing fasteners is best accomplished using powered impact tools. I'm using the term "torque" as the mechanical force to rotate the fastener, not in the meaning of setting a fastener torque value (i.e. 50 pound-foot).

The reason is, if one learns to squarely engage the (Torx) bit in the head, the powered tool takes over to apply the torque necessary to effectively rotate the fastener out, which removes the responsibility from the operator to continuously apply the removal torque to the fastener head 180 degrees in alignment with (i.e. straight down) the fastener's threaded shank. Using a ratchet to rotate the fastener out requires the operator to control two actions, (a) keeping the bit square to the fastener head, while (b) keeping the torque applied at 180 degrees to the fastener shank. Using a ratchet easily allows the operator to get off-axis because he tends to push down on the ratchet handle 90 degrees off from the axis of rotation, which gets the tool bit un-square to the fastener's head.

Powered impact tools rotate the fastener with small degrees of rotation at high torque values, which aids in breaking the friction between the fastener thread and the threaded body it screws into. This is quite helpful with fasteners that have some corrosion that has crept into the thread surfaces.

In the OP's case, he was not fighting any level of thread corrosion, he most likely used the wrong-sized Torx driver, or got off axis trying to remove the fastener.
Point missed, challenge rejected. This is going no where. Aloha.

ReimundKrohn

Big Bend
First Name
Reimund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Rav-4, 2005 F-150 Lariat, 2005 PT GT Conv
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Heads up - using the provided star key/tool on the bronco bolts isn’t always the best idea. Not a super tight fit and as such slightly stripped a bolt.

Shocked that the provided tool doesn’t fit well enough tbh
Shocked? This is Ford we’re talking about. The tool was undoubtedly outsourced to the lowest bidder to cut costs.

Chipt7

Badlands
First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 4dr Badlands Squatch, 1975 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Don't just buy quality wrenches an torqx sets... But you should always make sure fit is good.... If not use a rubber band to snug the fit... Just use common sense and things will be just fine.

Efthreeoh

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hummer H3T
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
You cannot buy enough tools for a BMW.

There is a special trunk weight required when doing an alignment
I've gone from a 3-drawer Craftsman hand-carry box to a 6-foot rolling cabinet. Oh, and a lift too. LOL.
Sponsored