Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Lariat FX4, 22 Road Glide ST
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I agree with you. These tops aren't the best. I previously owned about 4 Wranglers. Those tops weigh a ton and are strong as hell. Ford took the cheap, lightweight, gas saving approach. I'm still waiting on a good soft top option.
Sponsored

j_marinelli

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I hate that this happen to you @mpeugeot but I do appreciate you posting it on here so that I can be extra careful now in these areas when taking it on and off.

So glad Ferd thought it was a great idea to make a hardtop out of plastic coated cardboard :cautious:

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Can the guide pins be altered so that they fasten to the body and have holes in the top? That way that tops lip would be flush.

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Has anyone tried this?
I believe there are a couple threads where people have. But of course there isn't any long term results yet to see how it holds up.

Dadsquatch

Outer Banks
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

After reading this thread, I’m going to remove my guide/locating pins like others have suggested. I assume the top won’t be any weaker without them since they are really just guides and you still have 4 bolts on each side? Agree?

I don’t even think putting a stronger metal bolt in there as a replacement guide pin is even worth it if the bottom flange of the hard top is the weak point anyway that’s cracking.

When reinstalling the top without the guide pins and using two people, is it likely or not that the top could slide off and fall to the ground prior to you getting a couple of the screws reinstalled? Of course anything is possible, really just wondering if it can rest on the frame long enough without the guide pins to get the first couple screws in (only talking like 1 minute really).

Last edited:

Sponsored

Dadsquatch

Outer Banks
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Just remove the two small torx screws and the plastic locator should just fall off. If it stays in the body, give it a few taps and pull it out.
Do you recommend removing the guide pins while the top is still on, or is it easier once it’s off? I just tried unscrewing my guide pins while top is still on and they are rather tight and not loosening up, so I’m being cautious. Maybe I need to take out all the hold down screws first then try.

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Do you recommend removing the guide pins while the top is still on, or is it easier once it’s off? I just tried unscrewing my guide pins while top is still on and they are rather tight and not loosening up, so I’m being cautious. Maybe I need to take out all the hold down screws first then try.
I think the plastic bushing has a shoulder on it and won't come out until the top is off.

BadlandsA51

Badlands
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Badlands, Sasquatch, Lux Pkg, 72 Ranchero GT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I think I read somewhere that the torque on the bolts is 14-15ftlbs. That’s seemed like a lot to me but maybe it’s not.
I’m removing my guide pins. I’ll just get a couple of bolts, cut the heads off and use them as guides when reinstalling my top. The guides are handy with the lift I use. There is no reason I’d ever position the top on the body if it’s not aligned exactly where it should be.
I use a Toplift Pro which is extremely quick and easy.
I fortunately have a huge garage……needed with the Toplift.
I’ve removed the top 10-12 times with no problems, but I’ve never set it on the ground….yet
The torque spec for those bolts is 106 lb.in.

BadlandsA51

Badlands
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Badlands, Sasquatch, Lux Pkg, 72 Ranchero GT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The torque spec for those bolts is 106 lb.in.
At least according to the Workshop Manual it's 106 lb.in. The owner's manual says 13 to 17 LB.FT. That's close to twice as much. Just snug them until they feel right! :rolleyes:

OP
OP
mpeugeot

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
After reading this thread, I’m going to remove my guide/locating pins like others have suggested. I assume the top won’t be any weaker without them since they are really just guides and you still have 4 bolts on each side? Agree?

I don’t even think putting a stronger metal bolt in there as a replacement guide pin is even worth it if the bottom flange of the hard top is the weak point anyway that’s cracking.

When reinstalling the top without the guide pins and using two people, is it likely or not that the top could slide off and fall to the ground prior to you getting a couple of the screws reinstalled? Of course anything is possible, really just wondering if it can rest on the frame long enough without the guide pins to get the first couple screws in (only talking like 1 minute really).

I think that having some removable guidepins that you put in place after the top is set down might be a good middle ground... drop them in for the install to get the in place, and then pull them out and store them in the tool kit.
Sponsored