First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Basesquanch First Edition
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Someone could make a good repair, or even an upgrade, by cutting a piece of aluminum to match the shaft e and holes of the whole flange and sandwhich bond it to the top.

I found out Ford’s extended warranty is a bit of a joke with my F150. I had premium care with wear and tear items with supposedly over 1,000 parts covered but when I brought it in for a few things barely anything was covered. My nav/gps antenna was denied because it was already replaced once. They prominently advertise brakes are covered but only brake pads are and not the rotors, and of course they won’t replace pads without doing the rotors, so basically you’re paying dealer prices (overpaying) for a complete brake job and getting your pads for free. They did do an oil change for free though.
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
mpeugeot

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Someone could make a good repair, or even an upgrade, by cutting a pieve of aluminum to match the shaft e and holes of the whole flange and sandwhich bond it to the top.

I found out Ford’s extended warranty is a bit of a joke with my F150. I had premium care with wear and tear items with supposedly over 1,000 parts covered but when I brought it in for a few things barely anything was covered. My nav/gps antenna was denied because it was already replaced once. They prominently advertise brakes are covered but only brake pads are and not the rotors, and of course they won’t replace pads without doing the rotors, so basically you’re paying dealer prices (overpaying) for a complete brake job and getting your pads for free. They did do an oil change for free though.
Seems almost reasonable, until you have to read the fine print. Like 1st who would warranty the brake pads and not the rotors... seems like it should be the other way around.

Personally, I see both the pads and the rotors as wear items. I usually replace both at the same time, because rotors are pretty cheap. The calipers should definitely be a warranty item. Still, I get your point.

OP
OP
mpeugeot

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Polite or not, too many people have an entitled attitude these days and want something for free and that how you came off in the op. If what you say is true, and it was in fact over tightened from the factory, unfortunately theres no way to prove it. As an advisor my suggestion would be call your insurance company and start a claim.
I forgot to ask, do you work here?

Sure sounds like you might.

vzqhsg

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150, Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This is some serious B.S. I have a extended warranty on the my Bronco (150k miles). Last month, I pulled up my hardtop to put in additional weather stripping (rather than complaining about the hideous top in the first place - just shy of 36k miles) and the damn top ended up cracking severely.

IMG_20220919_085531.jpg

(this happened before re-installing the MIC top, but all fasteners were torqued to manufacturers speciation with a torque wrench).

Ya, apparently, that's not even likely to be accepted under the warranty anyway. It was never dropped, never off the Bronco, and only moved a few inches back to add additional weather stripping.

So, knowing that they might refuse to warranty it for being dropped, I still brought it in to the dealer. The dealer, while polite, courteous, and friendly looked to see if it was even a covered item under ESP. It isn't!

F'ing unreal, I have not even had my Bronco 1 year yet, and they are telling me that "trim pieces" are not covered after 36k miles AND that my Ford extended warranty doesn't cover it either.

So, for anyone thinking that Ford will stand behind this obviously defective top unless forced at gun point, they won't.

I hope my motor shells out at 149,975 miles. I want to see Ford eat a bag of sausages.

Also, my Sync 4 system still isn't updating, but they "might" be able to get me in for service in late November. You can get military mental health appointments faster than that. WTF @Ford Motor Company.

Sure am happy I got an extended warranty plan... The basic warranty didn't even last a year (for a non-moving part clearly not affected by mileage) and the extended warranty is apparently useless with regards to the MIC top. It's not a trim piece, it's a major exterior body panel (and clearly defective).
Do you have any before pictures??

Sponsored
OP
OP
mpeugeot

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Do you have any before pictures??
It was visibly undamaged, so I didn't think about taking any pictures before. I am still kicking myself for not recording the top removal, at least then people would have to accuse me of selectively editing the footage.

AMTRV

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Badlands 4dr, 22 6.7L Tremor, 1940 Ford Cpe
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It was visibly undamaged, so I didn't think about taking any pictures before. I am still kicking myself for not recording the top removal, at least then people would have to accuse me of selectively editing the footage.
Whoa…….nobody cares that much….or.shouldn’t

Area51BS

Badlands
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands non SAS 4dr 2.3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Good luck with both.

I have the Bestop Trektop in the garage, so I will put it on soon enough.
I see Broncos on every corner in my area. I mean a lot of them.

SuperFord

First Edition
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Honestly, we passed on the ESP the second time around with Ford. They refused to honor things like having a rental available for service and after reading the fine print almost nothing is covered besides engine.
Sounds like you purchased a “Powertrain” warranty.

With most extended warranties there are different levels of coverage. The people selling them don’t always tell you this because they are trying to sell you something often at a price point that fits your monthly payment budget. Some of them don’t care what the policy does or doesn’t cover down the road.

Ford offers:
  • Powertrain care
  • Base care
  • Extra care
  • Premium care
Premium care is the most comprehensive and the way to go although there are still a few exclusions.

& despite what finance people will tell you,THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A “Bumper to Bumper” extended warranty.

also, your warranty does not include a rental at time of drop off UNLESS you add the 1st day rental option. Even with this option the rental coverage is pending a verifiable, diagnosable and coverable repair in order to cover the rental. Everyone thinks, “I have a warranty, so I get a rental.” Which is incorrect. Your comprehensive 3yr/36k new car warranty doesn’t even promise you a rental.

Last edited:

Theowlhoothoot

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Model 3 Performance
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Sounds like you purchased a “Powertrain” warranty.

With most extended warranties there are different levels of coverage. The people selling them don’t always tell you this because they are trying to sell you something often at a price point that fits your monthly payment budget. Some of them don’t care what the policy does or doesn’t cover down the road.

Ford offers:
  • Powertrain care
  • Base care
  • Extra care
  • Premium care
Premium care is the most comprehensive and the way to go although there are still a few exclusions.

& despite what finance people will tell you,THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A “Bumper to Bumper” extended warranty.

also, your warranty does not include a rental at time of drop off UNLESS you add the 1st day rental option. Even with this option the rental coverage is pending a verifiable, diagnosable and coverable repair in order to cover the rental. Everyone thinks, “I have a warranty, so I get a rental.” Which is incorrect. Your comprehensive 3yr/36k new car warranty doesn’t even promise you a rental.
Nah it was one of the upper ones. But it didn’t cover a lot of stuff.

Sponsored

Chaos

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
95 EB Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Exactly what I planned to do in the end, because after reading that Ford was denying claims on tops with similar defects, I didn't expect my claim to be accepted. Repairing it may require some form of laminating metal to the top.

What I didn't expect to hear is that the entire top is not covered in any way under the extended warranty.
My only advice is on plastics like this they are notorious poor at bonding to epoxies. Epoxies are very low to ‘No’ vocs, and so at best with compatible substrates you get a mechanical bond by roughing it up. This is one of the many reason plastic welding exists.

Last edited:

Azflyfish

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
This is some serious B.S. I have a extended warranty on the my Bronco (150k miles). Last month, I pulled up my hardtop to put in additional weather stripping (rather than complaining about the hideous top in the first place - just shy of 36k miles) and the damn top ended up cracking severely.

IMG_20220919_085531.jpg

(this happened before re-installing the MIC top, but all fasteners were torqued to manufacturers speciation with a torque wrench).

Ya, apparently, that's not even likely to be accepted under the warranty anyway. It was never dropped, never off the Bronco, and only moved a few inches back to add additional weather stripping.

So, knowing that they might refuse to warranty it for being dropped, I still brought it in to the dealer. The dealer, while polite, courteous, and friendly looked to see if it was even a covered item under ESP. It isn't!

F'ing unreal, I have not even had my Bronco 1 year yet, and they are telling me that "trim pieces" are not covered after 36k miles AND that my Ford extended warranty doesn't cover it either.

So, for anyone thinking that Ford will stand behind this obviously defective top unless forced at gun point, they won't.

I hope my motor shells out at 149,975 miles. I want to see Ford eat a bag of sausages.

Also, my Sync 4 system still isn't updating, but they "might" be able to get me in for service in late November. You can get military mental health appointments faster than that. WTF @Ford Motor Company.

Sure am happy I got an extended warranty plan... The basic warranty didn't even last a year (for a non-moving part clearly not affected by mileage) and the extended warranty is apparently useless with regards to the MIC top. It's not a trim piece, it's a major exterior body panel (and clearly defective).
Thanks for the post/heads up. Some of us appreciate it.

jalawson

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘22 Bronco, ‘17 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

IMG_20220919_085531.jpg

Your manufacturer bumper to bumper warranty lasts 3 years or 36k miles. Unless you’re outside of that you shouldn’t be using your ESP.

The ESP is a weird deal. Sometimes they refuse PNs for groups of items but not individual items. So there’s a lot of weird stuff on how things have to be put in. I would start by calling the warranty company and trying to get help there.

I honestly don’t know how this is handled. Honestly I’d bet the warranty company doesn’t truly have a policy yet because they use the same coverage terms for all Ford vehicles and if a F-150’s roof cracked it would be covered. Now if the trim inside along the roof cracked it would not be covered.

BroncoDymond88

Wildtrak
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kia Sorento
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

There are guide pins also underneath, I broke one when removing my heard top. I didn't know they were there and it snapped right off. I'm hoping if I ever put the hard top back on to just be able to use a washer instead. I think we all knew what we were getting into with the hard tops.

American Sender

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1969 Bronco and 1968 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The amount of people thinking they know what went wrong without fully reading what he did is giving me a headache 🤣
100% reading and comprehension. Very little time for this nowadays. I have to hurry up and rush to judgement so I can solve the next problem and look smart on here.
Sponsored